PDA

View Full Version : swift 3d plugin for LW...

miss sono
10-15-2002, 01:40 PM
has anyone tried out the swift3d plugin for LW? or is there some other kind of plugin that can export .swf's from layout?

would be cool if there was a plug that wa freeware ;)

let us know your thoughts, thanks

xxx miss sono xxx

studiomiguel
10-15-2002, 05:48 PM
MS,

I've used it. It works GREAT! I've done a little animation with it. No problem. I use it mainly now to create art I can manipulate in illustrator.

I looked and looked for cheaper alternatives, and well, there just weren't any.

m

ninjaman
10-15-2002, 11:55 PM
I got an animation at:

www.trevanner.se/bigtime

if u care to watch it (600K)

Johan

polarman3d
10-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Hey Miss Sono-- I've used it pretty extensively too. Overall I think it's a really good tool. I've had a few problems with it, but nothing that I couldn't fix either in Flash or in Illustrator. Before we got it, we did a lot of comparing to the other Flash exporter (the name escapes me right now) and we found this one to be better. I would totally recommend it...

DigitalDeuce
10-16-2002, 01:46 AM
The other one is Flicker. I have both.

Here's the main difference, as I see it.

Swift has it's own renderer. So only those things that it can deal with it renders. Also your geometry has to be triangles. Nothing else.

Flicker uses the LightWave renderer -- so it can do HV's, image maps, etc. and can handle multi point polygons.

Unless things have changed.

PNelson
10-16-2002, 02:31 AM
The Swift3D plugins work like a champ!!

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
NewTek
Director of Worldwide Sales

fourd
10-16-2002, 04:57 AM
There is a Swift3D Review at Critical-Depth (http://www.critical-depth.com) covering Swift3Dv2.

Also, just so you know Swift3Dv3 is out. The same author to review the last one, is preparing a review for the same website as well.:buttrock:

proton
10-16-2002, 05:50 AM
Swift 3D does the best line quality I've seen on anything...there really isn't anything that compares to it....

plotz
10-16-2002, 01:10 PM
I recently had to decide between flicker, Swift3D and Amorphium Pro for some 3D flash work.

Swift3D won hands down in terms of quality and ease of setup/use.

The only drawback I've found so far is that, under certian circumstances, there seems to be a polygon limit of around 20-30K. Some objects with higher poly counts render fine, while others will crash LW.

When you render an object in Swift it needs to be triangles, or quads...all other face types will be ignored. The render will still happen, it's just that those face types are ignored.

What's really fun to play with is turning on any of the cartoon shading modes, with shadows, and outlines. The shadow line gets this cool jagged outline that moves as the light moves.

Hopefully there are plans to develop the plug with the v3 Swift Renderer. It supporst all kinds of cool stuff. Transparency, reflections, soft shadows.

It's kind of an expensive plug, considering it only does the 1 thing, but it does it very well IMO.

Steve Warner
10-18-2002, 01:41 AM
We've got Swift 3D at work, and to be honest, I rarely use it. I know it's popular, and for what it does, it's pretty impressive. But I found that it can produce some fairly bulky flash files. We develop interactive training materials at my work. Most of the material is web based, so being able to present Lightwave animations in flash format seemed like a godsend. However, the flat cartoony look would not work for our purposes. We needed animations that mimicked the detailed Illustrator illustrations our artists are turning out. That meant we ended up rendering everything with gradients, shadows, etc. And this produced flash files so complex that they bogged down the 800MHz PCs in our Learning Center.

I've seen some really nice work done with Swift, so I don't want to bad mouth it. If you're satisfied with a really stylized cartoony look, you'll probably love it. But you should be aware that it can produce flash files that will put a choke hold on more modest machines.

Steve

jimjimjim
06-10-2003, 10:13 AM
hi there all, thanks for all your info, very helpful. i am trying to istall the bloody swift plugin at the moment , but whenver i do, it installs 100% then an error message says :error no 0x80040705 string accessed out of bounds. any ideas what this might mean and how i might fix it? chhers.

fig
06-10-2003, 04:19 PM
i remember having a similar problem when i installed but don't remember what i did about it (i beta tested the first version so its been a while). not very helpful, i know :) their tech support is great tho, drop them a line and i'm sure they can help you out.

chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.