PDA

View Full Version : Using classicism in Post-Modernism

cha0t1c1
06-01-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to tap into classicist and academic art style but use post-modern analogical complexity to give that gorgeous style the layers of thaught post-modernists implement...

I've seen many pieces these days try to do such thing;However, I'm going to try to make it a complete hybrid.

Why? well I think that classic and renaissance art has used symbolism and alegory, but it was just too obvious...

I'm very serious about the project, so, if any has advice...

Boy I would appreciate it...

The piece is an homage to the blurred line of opposite sexes friendship...I will post concepts soon...

jmBoekestein
06-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Mind your fingers young man! :curious: it's not a toy you know.

Really friggin interesting!:thumbsup: Gonna follow your work on this. I like your figure style, so that's scratch one. :) Friendship is a com[lex thing though. What are your thoughts so far as to figures and environment/setting

cha0t1c1
06-01-2005, 06:38 PM
hehehe, You are impatient JM...

okay here are the concepts, expressions, hand gestures will be next, then city then the graveyard...
http://img249.echo.cx/img249/2896/ispconceptbnw7dy.th.jpg (http://img249.echo.cx/my.php?image=ispconceptbnw7dy.jpg)
http://img76.echo.cx/img76/6624/ispfacesweb3uv.th.jpg (http://img76.echo.cx/my.php?image=ispfacesweb3uv.jpg)

jmBoekestein
06-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Looks interesting:thumbsup: ! like the ideas so far, I'm not sure about the graveyard thing though. I don't really see the truth of that, in the fact that I see more of a growing than a definite finality. But that's different for everybody though I guess. And it is pretty thick on, as a symbol, maybe ,more subtle because of your objective in this piece? :)

eparts
06-01-2005, 07:39 PM
i guess you've already read the litteture by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Friedrich Schiller? Atleast you got a good starting point from there.

cha0t1c1
06-02-2005, 01:27 AM
hehe...not really epart...

JM: yes...the subtlty was completely intentional, due to the objective...thank you for following up.

epart: :blush: sorry about the double post...*stupid computer* :banghead:

Gord-MacDonald
06-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Hi cha0t1c1

Could you give us a couple of examples of Artists/Works from the renessaince and 'post modernist' periods that you have an interest in?

Gord

Magnemar
06-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Re: Symbolism - I wouldn't worry about being too obvious (unless you are thinking of using hearts for love and the grim reaper for death) - use symbols that are relevant to you primarily, but also have a resonance in contemporary society - this allows the viewer to use his/her intelligence to interpret your image.

I think it was the theatre writer Howard Barker who said that 'Ambiguity is not a bad thing' (or something similar). You don't have to explain everything in the image, just give it some grounding in reality. There is a picture in the National Gallery in London by Hans Holbein of 'The Ambassadors' - It is full of symbols and each viewer can probably only identify with one or two of them.

As for the concept of using classical motifs within post-modernist images - go for it! - post-modernism allows anything to be used thankfully....

:)

Enayla
06-03-2005, 09:41 AM
I find that symbolism is always more interesting if it contains some kind of 'flair' that is unique to the artist, or if the symbols are, perhaps, more connected to 'you' than any attempt to tap into some kind of universal symbolism. A certain colour or thing might symbolise something uniquely you, and it's up to the viewer to figure it out. As mentioned, a heart for love is pretty droll, but there is surely something else that could symbolise the same just for you. Letting us get to know you through the pieces.

I'm probably just rambling here, but I'm a huge fan of symbolism in art. I love little details that have far more meaning than being merely eye candy, if that makes any sense.

cha0t1c1
06-03-2005, 03:30 PM
hehehe...I agree with you all.

I don't want to sound revolutionary, but I think that the new school will be the hybrid I'm going for...

reason: look at Linda's Art, Paul Steven's, Thitipon's, They use classical type of nearly photoreality; However, they all have an incredible amount of post-Modernistic undertone. I think that way, art can achieve the ability to reach an incredibly wider audience, from the eye candy lovers, to the symbolism addicts.

gordonm: I'm trying..I'm trying..:D

Arc80
06-03-2005, 04:42 PM
So classical style with a post-modern analogy. Very interesting bro. This should be fun to watch. I really like the idea. If you are going to render your figure realistically, make sure you add a bit of idealism to it. Most classical artist or the old masters have that in their works.
As for using symbolism, just don't put too much, because it can ruin your piece and the story that you are trying to tell. Remember to never under-estimate or over-estimate your viewer. You have to find a nice balance between the two. A good story teller never over do things or over complicates a writing or painting with details. The simpliest things can mean so much when it is used correctly.
But then again, it depends on what you want to achieve and how you want your works to represent you as an individual/artist.

subscribing to this thread right now :thumbsup:
I'll be keeping up.

cheers bro

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2005, 04:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.