PDA

View Full Version : new reel

jcriz
06-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey All;
I've just finished putting together a reel of the past year or so worth of projects, some done, some not. Please feel free to crit and comment, as feedback would be great right about now. :banghead: The reel as a whole is leaning a bit toward the rendering side, but the anim is up for grabs too.

big - 30mb - http://www.justincriswell.com/justincriswell_3dreel.mov

small - 12mb - http://www.justincriswell.com/justincriswell_3dreelsmall.mov

:buttrock:

FunkyCowie
06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Rendering is very nice, but I think when it comes down to it that is the only good part... your caterpillar creature slides in places where I feel it shouldn`t, like it doesn`t grip the surface it is on. The second segment of the Lamp... cycles twice, it was quite bad the first time, with its movement. The piano piece was just uninteresting and whats up with the scews? they would have moved better if it was cheated with dynamics... the look like they are being mgnetically drawn to the piano, was that intentional? The two characters interacting (One shoving the other to the ground) lacks good timing and pops a little, the reaction could be pushed more. This piece has promise, animation wise, but its so short compared to the rest). Were the fingers on the rotating hand done with dynamics? if not its probably the best animated part.

I`m big on good animation, your rendering and lighting are really sweet, but animation wise you really need to kick it up a notch, otherwise it distracts the viewer from your obviously stronger abilities.

jcriz
06-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the crits, those are the kinds of crits i wish we could get in school sometimes. The only small defense is that yes, the screws are supposed to be drawn to the piano as it plays the music. I guess it was a bad decision to leave out the music on a piece that is so dependant on it. Then again, maybe its just uninteresting regardless. :hmm: Oh, also, yes the fingers on the rotating hand were dynamics, just answer your question.

FunkyCowie
06-03-2005, 04:46 PM
I know when I was in school everyone was like "hey thats cool" and when I was like "Hey that is cool but this... etc etc" they were a little offended or defensive when faced with my bluntness it`s nice to have someone appreciate it :)

I just hope people are just as blunt when I finally get around ot posting my work :D

Chris Bacon
06-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Nice rendering......I thought the hand on the turning cog was nice....good follow through with the fingures.....However I have to agree with funkycowie the catapila/spine needs to be looked at as far as grip goes.....other than that I liked it....very Abstract.....and to be honest Im not usaly a fan of abstract.

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2005, 05:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.