PDA

View Full Version : Spacecraft Simulation: Looking for a 3D Modeler

jfelrod1960
06-01-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm working on a real-time simulation using Java3D of a spacecraft navigating through a asteroid belt. Java has not been generally accepted as a programming language for commercial grade games and I would like to research the possibility of using Java as such.

If anyone have a spacecraft, preferably cool looking :), and can convert it to a Wavefront OBJ format, I would greatly appreciate it.

Any signature you require such as name, email addy, website, etc. would be prominently displayed in the simulation.

Thanks!

DogmaD
06-01-2005, 03:45 PM
hi jfelrod. Can we have some more information on what kind of spaceship it should be?

1. Polygon count?
2. Design? Nasa like, or science fiction? Or alien in design?
3. Should it have movable objects on it? Like rotating thrusters, or anything of the sort?

Well, that should give enough information about what look you want it to have.

jfelrod1960
06-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey Victor,

I still subscribe to the Aegis thread. You guys are very talented! :thumbsup:

If I had my wish it would be:

1. Polygon count?
75,000-100,000

2. Design? Nasa like, or science fiction? Or alien in design?
Sort of a cross between NASA and science fiction. A little more futuristic, but something that could be built if NASA was given the budget. :)

3. Should it have movable objects on it? Like rotating thrusters, or anything of the sort?
I don't think movable objects is necessary for this simulation. I would like thrusters positioned so that it can pitch up/down, yaw left/right and bank/roll left/right.

Now for a realistic answer.
If you have a spacecraft already that is somewhere between 75,000 and 100,000 polys that is non-alien like and in Wavefront OBJ format, then I would greatly appreciate it. :)

jfelrod1960
06-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I see 90 views on this thread but only one person had respond. Could you guys comment on what is necessary to make this idea interesting? What can I do to get some interest in this project?

DogmaD
06-06-2005, 06:31 AM
Well, you are not doing anything wrong here. I would help you if I had the time. But I am simply already busy helping out Shirow at the moment, and working on Aegis. And got some other stuff going on, else I would give it a shot. Maybe you could just use a model from 3D Cafe, 3D total, or scifi3d for now? If I have time in some weeks I can probably help you, but you will have to be patient, because I don't know how fast it will be done with my current schedule. In what stage is the simulator by the way?

About Java as a language for games. Yeah, it is possible to use it. I have seen all kinds of examples where Java is used for high end graphical applications. But yeah, it is not really accepted. Somehow game programmers and the graphics industry have pretty much build a dogma around just using C, C++ and assembly. But oh well, their loss i guess. ;)

jfelrod1960
06-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Maybe you could just use a model from 3D Cafe, 3D total, or scifi3d for now?

That is what I will do. I found a model on Turbo Squid that was free so that is what I will use for now. I want this simulation to be high quality so I will continue looking for someone who can build an impressive spacecraft.

If I have time in some weeks I can probably help you, but you will have to be patient, because I don't know how fast it will be done with my current schedule.

That would be cool. I probably won't get anyone but if I do, I will let you know.

In what stage is the simulator by the way?

I'm still working on the controller. It is a real-time learning controller that uses a neural network that is trained by a genetic optimizer. A term I borrowed from another researcher. Whenever I can get it working correctly I will post it on another thread I've started.

About Java as a language for games. Yeah, it is possible to use it. I have seen all kinds of examples where Java is used for high end graphical applications. But yeah, it is not really accepted. Somehow game programmers and the graphics industry have pretty much build a dogma around just using C, C++ and assembly. But oh well, their loss i guess. ;)

Well there are some JIT compilers that are promising. Who knows?

Thanks for you time!

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2005, 06:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.