PDA

View Full Version : The difference between digital illustrator and digital artist

AinodiEpuitora
06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
I don't really know what is the real difference between a 2d or 3d illustrators with 2d or 3d artists. They are producing images with their drawing skills and computer art techniques. They are producing artwork that both have meanings or intentions. So i don't really know what the real difference of why some people like to call themselves 3d artist or 3d illustrator or 2d artrists or illustrators. First of all, thank u for answering my question

Kargokultti
06-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Illustrators do it for the money and artists do it because they don't have real jobs ;)

KayosIII
06-01-2005, 12:10 PM
An Illustrator Illustrates... ie makes pictures to go with something else - traditionally text.
Illustration is a subset of art. Therefor all Illustraters are Artists but not all Artists are Illustrators. Illustrators are usually but not always commercial artists - ie artists who are payed to work on other peoples projects rather than working on their own and trying to sell the product. Commercial Artists are sometimes called Graphic Designers. Of course we are only talking about visual artists here....

Confused yet
Buahahahhahahah

taiji
06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Illustrators will always produce Stills.

A traditional illustrator will use real media (paper, ink, acrylic, pencils, watercolours…)

A 2d digital illustrator will use a 2d package (Photoshop, Painter, etc) to do so.

A 3d illustrator will use a 3d package (Maya, 3DSMax, Lightwave…) and render STILLS for print, web or whatever purpose.
He will NOT do animation and produce a movie!

A 3d artist may be any artist doing modelling, rigging, texturing… and also ANIMATION, which an illustrator may not do.

So if the output is Still, it’s illustration. If it’s animated it is not !

Clanger
06-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Trying to put it as succinctly as possible:
Artist paint what they want, Illustrators paint what the client wants.

offbeatworlds
06-02-2005, 06:34 PM
An Illustrator Illustrates... ie makes pictures to go with something else - traditionally text.
Illustration is a subset of art. Therefor all Illustraters are Artists but not all Artists are Illustrators. Illustrators are usually but not always commercial artists - ie artists who are payed to work on other peoples projects rather than working on their own and trying to sell the product. Commercial Artists are sometimes called Graphic Designers. Of course we are only talking about visual artists here....

I think KayosIII said it the best. An illustrator is someone who paints or draws something to go along with a story of some type, either written or spoken or observed (like a movie). Most often illustrators work for money, producing stills that are what the client wants illustrated. Although there are a few exceptions, such as Linda Bergkvist. Though she does take commissions most of the time she paints illustrations for herself, and the illustrations she creates go along with stories she makes up.

And technically, illustrators are artists, they are just a more specific kind of artist. Artist is general, and illustrators are a class/group of artists.

AinodiEpuitora
06-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks, everyone. I now can get a clearer view of the difference. Arrigato Gozaimasu! :applause:

Alex Morris
06-03-2005, 03:38 PM
"The only difference between a fine artist and an illustrator, is that the latter can draw, eat three square meals a day, and can afford to pay for them.-James Montgomery Flagg"

I used this quote as an intro to a lecture that I gave about 2 years ago in Copenhagen. Sums it up for me.
Of course then you get the issues of who sets the brief.

Alex

Sil3
06-06-2005, 04:43 PM
"The only difference between a fine artist and an illustrator, is that the latter can draw, eat three square meals a day, and can afford to pay for them.-James Montgomery Flagg"

Alex

LOL nice quote and i actually agree with it most of the times :)

Keiphus
06-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Illustrators will always produce Stills.

A traditional illustrator will use real media (paper, ink, acrylic, pencils, watercolours…)

A 2d digital illustrator will use a 2d package (Photoshop, Painter, etc) to do so.

A 3d illustrator will use a 3d package (Maya, 3DSMax, Lightwave…) and render STILLS for print, web or whatever purpose.
He will NOT do animation and produce a movie!

A 3d artist may be any artist doing modelling, rigging, texturing… and also ANIMATION, which an illustrator may not do.

So if the output is Still, it’s illustration. If it’s animated it is not !

I would have to disagree with most of this... There are plenty of medical "illustrators" who do simple animations to show how various parts of the body works... of course this is just one example.

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2005, 06:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.