PDA

View Full Version : A noob question - plz need awnser

maozao
06-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Can anyone help me? i am working on a script for an animation project, and i had the basic script done, and i was planning to go story boarding? should i write the lines of the characters before or after story boarding?

thx

malcolmvexxed
06-01-2005, 03:39 AM
to an extent people who do EVERYTHING themselves can probably script the dialogue later but... personally i think the script should do everything. That way the changes you make later can only add to the script, and the storyboards reflect elements of the dialogue like emotion and inflection which should be affecting your direction as well.

fwtep
06-01-2005, 04:44 AM
Opinions will vary greatly, but I believe that it's better to work out the script completely before doing storyboards. Film may be a visual medium, but the structure is best worked out in writing (in my opinion). I don't mean just jotting down the story and throwing in some dialog, I mean fully working it out-- the character arc(s), the motivation, the pacing, the theme, etc. If you can't *tell* someone your story, you don't *have* a story, despite all the pretty pictures in the world. And you can always change the dialog or script based on discoveries while storyboarding.

On the other hand, I just finished reading a book of Chuck Jones interviews and he generally worked out his stories in drawing, not in words. However: A) Those types of shorts have a different structure than what you're probably doing, and B) It's highly unlikely that you are Chuck Jones. :) (And you can bet that his Dr. Seuss cartoons and The Phantom Tollbooth were worked out in script form first. Of course, they were all books first so that makes sense.)

Fred

maozao
06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Guys thx for you help

we already have the characters arcs, we have developed a lot over the concept, but we had not yet the time to make the lines on the script
but we have a dead line to the story boarding to be ready, i guess i am going on story board along with creating the main lines.

fwtep : no i am not chuck jones :P lol :)

malcolmvexxed: thx on the comments, i guess it would indeed be important to get the emotions on the characters on the story board and that would be a lot easier with the lines, i agree

thx

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.