PDA

View Full Version : any Nuke users on the list ?

Aneks
06-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Hey all,

Just trying to do a bit of reaserch on Nuke. I am interested in speaking to folks who have used it / are using it. Wanted to know a few things about their experieces etc.

I know there is a Nuke channel over on FXGuide but just seeing who else is out there !

Thanks

tahl

clean_plate
06-01-2005, 07:23 AM
shake has the best integration with maya
ive herd that there r some pluging which export ur shake file from maya with complete layer composite

juz chech it outt/;

more u can ues multy pass renders from ur maya to use it in shake..

i think if u r a beginner study compositing not the tools ..

tools could be lernt in 2 days but the concept should be clear

for me software wont matter.

but to be in the market u should now all,, but master one.

take care & best of luckk

Aneks
06-01-2005, 07:54 AM
I have absolutely no way to respond to that post ?!

shake has the best integration with maya

juz chech it outt/;

more u can ues multy pass renders from ur maya to use it in shake..

i think if u r a beginner study compositing not the tools ..

tools could be lernt in 2 days but the concept should be clear

I have been using shake for more than 4 years now.... I know what it does ! I am just looking to speak to any nuke users out there who want to share some info !

Maybe it's a language barrier thing ?

hiphopcr
06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Uh yeah, that was a weird response. Anyway, let me know what you think about Nuke, I'm on DF but I've heard a lot of guys at Digital Domain just love Nuke, all it lacks is the pretty interface.

Aneks
06-02-2005, 02:35 AM
haven't really had a good look at it but it seems that it is very powerful and quite like fusion. the 3d seems one of the big selling points to me ?!

Its implemetation is very similar to that of fusion 5, I am shake guy but frustrated by certai failings in apple's upkeep of the software. Nuke/fusion have a lot going for them. But at present I am just dabbling I would really like to speak to someone who is a hardcore nuke user so that I get some answers !

you are using fusion to roto/dust bust/rigremove at D2 ?

hiphopcr
06-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Exactly, I'm using DF for roto/dust busting/wire and rig removal. I have some green screen shots coming and I'll be moving in with the compositors really soon. They have me on my way to being a full blown compositor.

We're also beta testing Fusion 5 and the 3D opens up a whole new dimension (duh), it adds a whole new arm to the program.

beaker
06-02-2005, 08:11 AM
The grass isn't that greener on the other side. I have used all 2 of the 3 professionally and beta tested nuke. They all suck in one way or another. It's just a matter of finding which one "sucks less".

Aneks
06-03-2005, 07:12 AM
It's just a matter of finding which one "sucks less".

brilliantly summed up. Thats where I'm right now Deke. Having used shake, after effect and fusion in production , I am just trying to see if I like Nuke any better...

FYI there was a version of Nuke running on a g5 at DMW in Melbourne this week ! Havig made the $$$$ commitment to mac recently I am excited by someone offering an alterative to apple's slow ass developemet team ! 2 years and still no key frames on shapes ...... CUMON

Powell
06-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Ive been using Digital Fusion and Shake in production for years now and I have recently began to make the move to Nuke.

From my experience, Digital Fusion is a great package for working on SD material, its decently fast and has plenty of plugin support. The problem with DF is that it becomes brutally slow to work with when using HD or film res material.
Shake is still my favorite package...its fast, stable, handles film very well, and has great scripting support. However, since Shake has been taken over by Apple, you will need to be on OSX or Linux to use the new versions.
Im still fairly new to Nuke, but it is quickly growing on me. I absolutely love the 3d support Nuke offers...I moslty work in Maya, and being able to sync up my maya scene with my Nuke composite is sooooo nice!

I do agree tho, depending on what you will be using the package for, some do suck less that others.

vand
06-05-2005, 01:18 PM
heres me working on Nuke

Aneks
06-06-2005, 05:54 AM
Hi I hope u do;t mind me firing some random questions at you feel free to answer as many or as few as you like !

What version are you using ?
What os and machine specs ?

What are you mainly using it for ? ie tv, film (16 bit or .exr), live action integration cg and cg ?

What do you like most about it ?
How stable is it compared with other commercial apps ?

What is your least favourite part of it ? ie The tracker sucks or lack of keyframes on roto shapes or whatever.....

Are you using many plugin/propriatary add-ons ?

Have you used the 3d side of things much ? Do the lights and projections work as they should ?

Are you doig much stuff with UV data and normal data in nuke ?

Do you need to send certain tasks out to other packages to get things done ? ie commotion or flame ?

any responses or extra data would be really appriciated, as I am thiking or making the plunge and would like a 'non-resllers' view of how the app works in a production environment !

Cheers

t.

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2005, 05:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.