PDA

View Full Version : Blender 2.37 released !!

Apollux
05-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Well.. almost released, to be more accurate.

It is a couple of hours away, a day at the most, untill 2.37 hits the streets.

New features for 2.37 aren't a secret, but if you want a sneak peek of the official release notes, head to http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Changes_Since_2_36.496.0.html

There you can also see wich one was the winner of the splash screen contest (it was one of my favorites entries, btw)

Enjoy !!

Apollux
05-31-2005, 04:53 AM
Something from the Release Log that may go unnoticed:

In memoriam: Jacques Guignot

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/clear.gifhttp://www.blender3d.org/cms/clear.gifhttp://www.blender3d.org/cms/typo3temp/pics/2f66f3274a.jpg
This release is dedicated to our fellow french developer Jacques
Guignot.

Jacques was the third member to join the team, when we were still
rewriting and starting to expand the API from Blender 2.25 Publisher,
a couple months after Michel Selten started the initiative. Besides
rewriting the Ipo module, he also contributed all new modules --
Curve, Effects, Metaball and World -- present in the 2.28 release,
when our implementation finally substituted the old one. This team
effort was later voted "Best Coding Achievement" in the first Blender
Conference (2003).

Jacques was a computer programming teacher and open source enthusiast,
and also a man of culture and sensibility, a pleasure to chat with.
Most of all we will remember him as a very kind and friendly developer.
Thanks, pal!

Jacques died on February 6th, 2005.

yuzukyo
05-31-2005, 06:09 AM
great!waiting for it long time.

Arbzervor
05-31-2005, 11:18 AM
omg... cant wait! do have any idea about any new features?
that would make for some interesting reading

mat

tikson
05-31-2005, 11:56 AM
very exciting...

but
Does anybody know anything about new Blender book? When it could be released?

maxmaster
05-31-2005, 12:08 PM
Something from the Release Log that may go unnoticed:

Leaving something useful behind is what we are striving for.
I must get this release to remember one of his last work.

Bellorum
05-31-2005, 01:24 PM
very exciting...

but
Does anybody know anything about new Blender book? When it could be released?
Considering there will be some UI changes in 2.4, I'd say sometime after that - so, in other words, at least 3 months probably.

GothTropic411
05-31-2005, 03:12 PM
I am drooling so much just reading those updates...they're so blenderlicious...i've been waiting so so long for this moment...haaaauuuuggghhh(homer simpson drool, and my keyboard is wet) Those softbody physics are so cool!

Apollux
05-31-2005, 03:59 PM
The gears started to move already :eek:

http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.37/

I love the pre-release exitement !!!

mdwsr
05-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Cool!!

Thanks for the heads-up. I downloaded it and it's running. I've been waiting for this release to try and learn Blender in depth.

Edit: By the way, since we are jumping the gun a little here anyway, does anyone know if 2.37 can use Python 2.41?

Bellorum
05-31-2005, 06:17 PM
The gears started to move already :eek:

http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.37/

I love the pre-release exitement !!!
Thanks for the heads up :) Not much difference from latest CVS but it's still nice to have the official build. Now, hopefully there will be a new version of Yafray soon also.

Edit:

@ mdwsr: Blender only works with Python 2.3x. It seems it will move to 2.4 in the next release.

Jlsb Move
05-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Hello everyone!
Big up to Jacques "Grand-Père" Guignot!:buttrock:
We will keep on using your gifts and make you proud!

As a personne who had the chance of conversing through the Internet with him on the French Blender newsgroup ZooBlender, it had always been an honor and an inspiration to electronically meet someone who saw our software not the way it was but the way it should, might and will be.
Rest well my friend and don't worry: your fellow developpers saw the direction you were pointing at and we're getting there!

Apollux
05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
2.37 is now OFFICIALLY out !! :bounce:

They just posted the news on www.blender3d.com and www.blender.org

StormEssence
05-31-2005, 08:33 PM
*Sorry-Double Post.

AnonymousArtist
05-31-2005, 08:34 PM
Hello everyone,
I'd like to know if you must uninstall 2.36 before installing 2.37. I read through the installation guide, and didn't see mention of this for the Windows version, which is the operating system I use. So does any one know? I wanted to ask here in the forum so that many others with the same question might have an answer. Thanks

dreamsgate
05-31-2005, 08:41 PM
No, you don't have to have a previous version installed first. Each version is able to stand on it's own.

StormEssence
05-31-2005, 08:42 PM
I responded once and it didn't show up. ??

At any rate i tried this release out, but when I hit render it freezes up my comp. Is this a graphic card issue? SiS 760 with AMD 64.

AnonymousArtist
05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
I understand this dreamgate, but I see I wasn't very specific with my question. I'm new to computers in general, but my concern is whether or not things like my python scripts, and project files and things that I keep in my Blender file (inside the C:\Program Files) will be erased post installation of the updated 2.37. Is the update able to discern whether only certain files need to be rewritten, added, or erased? Or does all the files become corrupted like some programs do when installing an update over an exisiting file? I know these questions may be dumb to someone, but I'm alittle slow, so please bear with me. I suppose I will just uninstall the old 2.36 since I have already made backups of script files and everything else important. But I wanted to ask because I figure it may be something that is not commonly know until a mistake has been made, and important file have been corrupted or erased. Thanks for your imput dreamgate, and forgive me for not asking in a more specific way. ;)

dreamsgate
05-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Oh, not a problem. Yes you can just install over the last version. All your files and scripts will be just fine. It only rewrites what is needed.

AnonymousArtist
05-31-2005, 09:42 PM
You're correct dreamgate, the install is convenient and all my path directories and user default presets were left intact :thumbsup: . Good deal :applause: I won't worry next time an update arrives. Thanks again for your input.

LetterRip
06-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Storm Essence,

could you provide a bit more information on the problem you are having, what OS you are using, your hardware (graphics card specifically), etc.

Have you used a previous version of blender?

LetterRip

BLENDER-FREAK
06-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Man apollux when you told us that vr 2.37 was just hours away i sat counting the seconds untill today at 3:36:54 am i opened my pc and downloaded the version as i opened it i began to freeze.....i felt getting stuck in time time wasnt moving damn that programm it made me spellbound...can any one help me from my lovely curse:eek:

FunkyFool
06-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Just got my copy compiled.. They really did an excellent job with this release, even feels faster. I really like all the new features, especially the new shaders.. Oh the possibilities.. :D

StormEssence
06-01-2005, 04:18 AM
Well I jut got this computer, So i have used Blender on a different computer. I waited a couple of days to download the newer version to try it out. Everything works fine until i hit render. The interface isn't blurry or anything. It just freezes up.

I have an HP with SiS 760(with the latest update), Amd 64, 160 gb hd and 512 mb.

LetterRip
06-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Ok,

still not clear what you mean by 'freezes up' - do you mean it renders a blank image? Or do you mean that you have to end blender using Ctrl-Alt-Delete? Or something else?

LetterRip

xxdaggerxx
06-01-2005, 05:13 AM
does yafray support the new shaders?

Apollux
06-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Man apollux when you told us that vr 2.37 was just hours away i sat counting the seconds untill today at 3:36:54 am i opened my pc and downloaded the version as i opened it i began to freeze.....i felt getting stuck in time time wasnt moving damn that programm it made me spellbound...can any one help me from my lovely curse:eek:

LOL

I'm afraid that I can't help you with the curse, but I can make it even worse.. delete your old .b.blend, go the "Themes" tab and select "rounded".. save user defaults !!

God it looks good !! I know that the dark orange theme isn't anything new, but my eyes must be treaking me, cuz it looks even better now.

And yes, B2.37 feels to load faster than 2.36.

StormEssence, at work I have this generic pc running XP and with a SiS card.. had to turn 2D acceleration almost to the minimun *advanced display properties) to be able to use Blender on that machine.

StormEssence
06-01-2005, 08:55 AM
By Freeze up I mean I have to go unplug the comp and then restart. I don't even get to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete. If I turn my hardware acceleration down all the way it works fine. So it has to be the graphics card.

Spin99
06-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi there,

Never mind some of the negative comments :(
I personally am enjoying your new release without problems so far.
Actually it seems faster and better than ever :D

I'm posting this to ask if you're not of the opinion that this should be a sticky post?
You could make announcements of the latest release always a sticky,
that way it would be easy to keep track of the latest version.
Also you could post release notes.

Just another 2c.

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2005, 05:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.