PDA

View Full Version : first post::still::my computer

rattfink
10-14-2002, 08:04 PM
I finally got the courage to post something for c&c, here's something I did about a year ago just for kicks on my iMac before I got my new computer (kinda a previz I guess)

keep in mind I was fifteen at the time (just turned sixteen), and the back of the monitor was my first spline model, but its still one of my favorite images. I have the project on a zip disk somewhere so as soon as I find that I'll post some wire frames and fix a few things (notice the floating battery and lack of center to the cds hehe) and also do a better quality render (render times were hell on an iMac).

oh yeah, it was modeled and rendered in Lightwave 6.5, and the CD textures and windows desktop are from random sources.

thanks...

EDIT: Scroll down for updated final

Vovik3D
10-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Very grany but is beauty

kassinopious
10-14-2002, 10:07 PM
great work.. only complaint is (apart from being grainy) that the battery next to the computer looks like its floating

other than that excellent work man, great stuff :)

PureFire
10-14-2002, 10:59 PM
the grainy look is annoying....also the centre of the disks look a tad too transparent.....the modelling is excellent!!

igor popovic
10-15-2002, 03:51 AM
pretty good, but one thing, if you're a creative person(which you are by this work), how come you got the disguisting xp wallpaper?! eeeeww!

rattfink
10-15-2002, 09:35 PM
OK, found the disk and fixed its problems and re rendered it, here's the final, tell me what you think.

igor: I used that wallpaper because when the first image was rendered, XP had just come out, and I didn't have it (I was on a mac then), so I found an image in a Windows XP review for the screen.

ps. the image lost a lot of quality compressing it down to >50k

Marc Andreoli
10-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Very nice !

My only criticism: tidy up your desk !
:D

And now go ahead and model one of those new iMacs...:thumbsup:

Joril
10-15-2002, 10:58 PM
Wow, thats some great work for someone your age!
Congrats, keep going!

bcole23
10-15-2002, 11:59 PM
How'd you get the Coke can texture?

leigh
10-16-2002, 02:26 AM
Hehehe you shouldn't leave those pirated cds lying around on your desk ;)

Nice work :thumbsup:
It's a good thing that you seem to have discovered the "Shading Noise Reduction" option :)
Well done :applause:

FastRay
10-16-2002, 03:02 AM
Hi,

Man you are Realy Crazy ;)
This is amazing Real Life !!!
wow

bye

FastRay

Opeth
10-16-2002, 03:43 AM
looking good man!
but.. you shouldn't be using a DvD drive as the primary cd rom... dvd's get worn out real easy :)

Biohazard
10-16-2002, 04:19 AM
Nice work, and good day light too.
Your shadows are perhaps too sharp else than for a brighter direct sun than the one you figured. The tint is ok, though.
What package did you used ?

But it's really a shame you modelled such a used concept (Right, you are only 15/16). I know people who rendered cigarettes packs, ashtrays, and even their lava lamp (I'v done that too, gasp! This ain't a shame).

Now, stop kidding. :) and keep up the good job.

liquidhalf
10-16-2002, 07:57 AM
aww man.... put the huge domino back in the render.. where'd it go?

rattfink
10-16-2002, 04:12 PM
Marc Andreoli: thanks, and my real desk is much worse lol.

Joril: thanks :thumbsup:

bcole23: I pieced the coke texture together from alot of places. but the bottle image actually came from another coke can texture that was lying around my computer.

Leigh: thanks, and actually I didn't use shade noise reduction, I used more rays per evaluation, and better jpeg compression.

FastRay: thanks, man :beer:

Opeth: thanks, couldn't afford both, so I went with Dvd.. it hasn't broken yet (knock on wood :hmm: ) oh and Opeth is one of the greatest bands, can't wait till their new CD.

Biohazard: thanks, the shadows are a little too sharp probably, but I liked the higher constrasting shadows more then the realistic ones I tried, so I went with them. I used Lightwave.
And about the overused concept, see I was about to get a new computer, so I decided to model it using images I found online. and I had just descovered GI so I had to try something photorealistic. now I'm moving on to more abstract things (not swrilly volmetric lights and stuff, just more abscract then this hehe). but I find adding details MUCH harder without a good concept..

liquidhalf: lmao, that was a badly modeled/textured deck of cards that came in at the last minute. maybe I should add a giant domino tho... :beer:

wedge
10-16-2002, 04:39 PM
did you add the screen image in photoshop? it doesn't look properly placed into the scene.

rattfink
10-16-2002, 04:56 PM
hmmm, not sure what you mean, I was trying to get that effect when you look at a flat screen monitor from the side (eg the image being about a quarter inch in from the glass). but no it wasn't applied in photoshop.

Opeth
10-17-2002, 08:26 AM
hey dude, we don't have much to wait, deliverance is out in less then 3 weeks & in may the other part is out! :)
opeth are the best!

H3X4D3CiM4L
10-18-2002, 04:35 AM
is it just me or is the max payne cd floating over the cdr next to it??
other than that nice work.... the tint on the sunlight is pretty realistic...

Sgt.ArchAngel
10-18-2002, 06:39 AM
nice
your desk is clean enough to eat off of compaired to mine :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.