PDA

View Full Version : How to create " heat distortion illusion " over a CG fire?

riverwide
05-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi all I'm new in here, have some little question...

How to create a heat distortion illusion fx that will distort the backgroud image, as i put some CG fire in the shot and need to simulate the heat over the fire. How I can do that in DF 4 or Combustion 4 ?

In DF 4 I try to use particle emitter to simulate the volumetric of heat, but it's seem like a white smoke blow up instead , how I can make it see-through to distort the image behind?

or I have to do this in other way?
Please, I'm really new to this job and a clearly explain would be a really help.

Thanks in advance..

interference
05-30-2005, 04:07 PM
hi,
in C4 i would try a displace operator (distort>displace)
you 'll need two layers, a B&W source, and a destination layer (the one where you want the heat to be seen)
the displace operator use black and white informations to distort a layer.
build a greyscale animation and apply it to your destination layer.
it 's a pretty simple process, just try it and you'll understand easily what to do.
have fun !

dakone
05-30-2005, 11:04 PM
once i successfully did something similar, heat distortion from engine exaust.
its quite simple, create a particle emmiter like you said, then render it where the particles are white and background is black. then use this image/sequence as a distortion map to warp your footage. many compositing softwares will have this distortion feature, like interference said it will take in grayscale value and distort the underlying image depending on your settings. i did it in shake, but i think afterfx has it too.

riverwide
05-31-2005, 07:00 AM
:bounce: Thank you so much, interference and dakone that's really help me and I have learn a new thing today...

Thank you :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2005, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.