PDA

View Full Version : Combining Digital Set's And Live Actor's.

Avalon_Entertainment
05-29-2005, 10:01 PM
My name is Jabe Burton, and I am a 23 yr old film student at UCLA. Recently my production company Avalon Entertainment was asked to do some test developement stuff for a major motion picture studio(My uncle is a T.V. executive, and passed of a short film of mine to some of his executive buddy's at the studio, and they liked what they saw, but anyhow that's a long story), and if they like what they see then there talking about my production company getting picked up with a production deal.

My isssue is this, the studio has us working on a shoe string budget (If only you knew LOL) to make 2 30 minute shorts based on two of there comic book character's. I've decided that it would be more cost effective and versatile to build all digital sets before hand using Maya Unlimited 6.5, this includes all hard body, soft body, fluid dynamic's, and particle effects, and character animation at times (Destruction, and Action Sequences, Digital Stunt Double's). Then film our actors on a green screen stage and then combine the two using tracking in post.

Jeremy Birn who works for Pixar suggested that we combine the cgi sets with the live actor's in the following manner "I'd say you should light your 3D sets based on reference images taken in the real world, then light the greenscreen actors with the same general key light angle and level of contrast as would be motivated by the 3D environment you are integrating them with." Our compositing software that we are using on this project is Digital Fusion, so my next question is, is there any process or tools that could be used in post using digital fusion to more seamlessly combine our digital sets, and live actors.

I'm no digital compositor (In fact we are still looking for one) so any and all input, and suggestion's are greatly appreciated, even if it has to do with other aspects of compositing a project like this. I'm just trying to work out some of these kink's, and find solution's before hand.

Also if you have any other question's on the project or are interested in submitting some work to see if you could come on board the project/production team please let me know. AOL = Br8jab@aol.com. Everybody that is on board this project are either college student's or just talented, and didn't need college. Were not only looking for industry standard professionals either. You don't have to be great at what you do just good, and want to continue to evolve, and get better at what you do. In fact none of us are industry professionals except our director of photography, that's what's so exciting about even getting this opportunity. Were just looking for people that are not only good at what they do but also passionate, because that passion is what shows in the final outcome on the screen, and that passion is what has gotten my production ompany, and crew this far, and now all we have to do is seal the deal with something good.

Cman
05-30-2005, 01:18 AM
so my next question is, is there any process or tools that could be used in post using digital fusion to more seamlessly combine our digital sets, and live actors.

"I'd say you should light your 3D sets based on reference images taken in the real world, then light the greenscreen actors with the same general key light angle and level of contrast as would be motivated by the 3D environment you are integrating them with."

If you follow this sage advice on your process, you won't need any special tools when you comp.

Avalon_Entertainment
05-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Thank you very much for the reply, and I've decided that's the route were going to take to combine the cgi, and live actor's. Like I said, I'm no visual effect's supervisor (Still looking for one though), I just want to better understand how this whole process works so that I know the right question's to ask someone who is trying to come on board as a visual effect's supervisor, and somewhat know if they even know what they're talking about. It also helps me evolve as a filmaker, because so many aspect's of films today incorporate the digital art's. Any other input you may have would be greatly appreciated. Take care Cman, and thanks again..

Cman
05-30-2005, 07:04 PM
... I just want to better understand how this whole process works so that I know the right question's to ask someone who is trying to come on board as a visual effect's supervisor, and somewhat know if they even know what they're talking about.

Jeremy Birn, or your uncle, should have plenty of suggestions for you of skilled people looking for a supervisor credit. I would suggest you continue to pursue your immediate network.

Good luck with your projects.

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2005, 07:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.