PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon Texture Painting DVDs Review

greyface
05-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey, I received the two new Gnomon texturing DVDs by Paul Campion, and just finished watching them. I thought this might be of interest for people hesitating to buy or not:

First, I'd like to say both DVDs are practically the same, Campion shows how to texture different objects in the same way, so all my comments apply to both DVDs.

Campion first shows examples of good photo reference and bad photo reference, and the very basics of taking good reference. He then shows a quick way to texture models, by roughly copy/pasting parts of his reference pictures onto the UV Map, for the color, bump and specular maps.

Campion constantly moves from photoshop to maya where he does the test renders. Once the quick texture is done he creates the more detailed textures. To do so, he also copies parts of the reference pictures, pastes them in photoshop and by using the transform tools, makes them fit in the uv space. Very little paintbrush or filter work is used. All "painting" is done with the clone stamp tool - and the rest is an extensive use of the quick mask tool combined with Levels adjustments.

A few tricks are also showed, to make good textures, such as texture bleed layers, and removing seams. The DVDs do *not* cover brush creation, blending modes or filter use (except for the occasional noise and gaussian blur).

Overall I must say I was quite disapointed, I think this tutorial is really aimed at the beginnner level, and not the intermediate, and it only shows how to create textures if you have 10+ high res pictures of your object. All texture maps are created at 1024 resolution, which in the case of the DVDs only fit for modern games and definitly not for high res work.

The good thing though, is that bump, specular, transparency and reflection maps are covered.

desty

Darktwin
05-31-2005, 04:47 AM
yeah I've been studying with "Texture Painting : fundamentals" with Paul Campion and I have to say I'm really pleased with what I've seen so far on this dvd. But then again I am a beginner with texturing so this is a really nice fit for me. Anyone who is a beginner and really wants to understand the basics and really helpful insite to realistic texture, give these a try.

ashrumm
05-31-2005, 09:25 PM
originally posted by Darktwin
yeah I've been studying with "Texture Painting : fundamentals" with Paul Campion and I have to say I'm really pleased with what I've seen so far on this dvd. But then again I am a beginner with texturing so this is a really nice fit for me. Anyone who is a beginner and really wants to understand the basics and really helpful insite to realistic texture, give these a try. 05-29-2005 04:05 PM

I also have the same Dvd and as a beginner to texturing i too have to say that this dvd is awesome. He is very thorough with the terminology and the basic process i enjoyed it, despite the lack of painting like Al-X mentioned in the initial post. That was the only flaw i found in this dvd is that he did very little painting, it consisted of touching up scanned references and that was about it. I recommend this dvd for beginners like myself. The Dvd does stress fundamentals on the cover.

Synthesizer
05-31-2005, 11:05 PM
I agree with your review, Al-X. I got the Weathered Surfaces one. I was also disappointed that there wasnt any real "painting" of the textures. It really doesnt show how you would make a texture for something that doesnt exist. Too bad Gnomon doesnt post a difficulty level on there website, or that I hadn't read this review before I bought the DVD.

greyface
06-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Nice to know some people are really enjoying it :thumbsup: - but even so - I think beginners need an intro to actual texture "painting", because whatever your level, it's almost impossible to find as much reference pictures as he shows, unless you have the object near you, and a camera.

I hope he will be releasing additional DVDs, showing texture creation from scratch. He apprently textured the Balrog and Fellbeast for LOTR, I wonder where he found the pictures... ;)

EDIT: I'll be receiving the Photoshop production DVDs quite soon, if anyone is interested, I'll write a review.

leigh
06-01-2005, 03:08 AM
I hope he will be releasing additional DVDs, showing texture creation from scratch. He apprently textured the Balrog and Fellbeast for LOTR, I wonder where he found the pictures...

A texture artist finds a way ;) As a texture painter myself, I can assure you that it's really not that difficult to dream up textures, because even fell beasts and balrogs have similarities to living creatures that concept artists tend to capitalise on. A director knows what sort of look the creature should have, and you just take their cues and construct a texture accordingly.

greyface
06-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Leigh, that's exactly what I'm trying to say, he couldn't have just used reference photos, because of resolution problems, and more importantly because you don't see balrogs walking around in the parks ;). He must have come up with something from scratch, and that is what is interesting for people who already know how to texture.

There are lots of advantages with creating textures from scratch, I know you know them, and I'm sure he does too - so we'd like to see that, Mr Campion ;).

desty

leigh
06-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah, but remember - in the case of the balrog, there was a large, painted sculpted macquette to use as reference. They could have taken high resolution photos from that to use as a base. When I am working on creatures here at work, we often get the sculpted pieces from the studios who designed them, and take lots of high res photos from that from which to start the textures. There is very little painting from scratch when you have big feature film deadlines looming. And even when you do have to paint from scratch, it's really not that hard, since as I mentioned before - the director/concept department already know what look they want, and that makes it very easy to create a texture.

Synthesizer
06-01-2005, 05:25 PM
I see your point Leigh, but it would have been nice if painting was also included in the DVD, to show how to make textures another way (seeing as how it is an educational DVD). The more techniques, styles, and options you have of making something, the better. Then you can just see which approach would work best for the job at hand.

P.s. I just read your head texturing tutorial in the 3D World magazine, very good :thumbsup: I like how you gave tips on what kind of brushes to use in Photoshop, that seems to always be overlooked in tutorials. Usually you will just see "paint these lines here", but no explaination of how to actually paint those lines.

MSB
06-01-2005, 05:59 PM
I just read your head texturing tutorial in the 3D World magazine

what issue?
sorry those good magazines not easy to find around here.

Synthesizer
06-01-2005, 07:00 PM
The May issue (there is a girl on the front), there is a section on skin shading.

ashrumm
06-02-2005, 05:41 AM
originally posted by: Leigh
Yeah, but remember - in the case of the balrog, there was a large, painted sculpted macquette to use as reference. They could have taken high resolution photos from that to use as a base. When I am working on creatures here at work, we often get the sculpted pieces from the studios who designed them, and take lots of high res photos from that from which to start the textures. There is very little painting from scratch when you have big feature film deadlines looming. And even when you do have to paint from scratch, it's really not that hard, since as I mentioned before - the director/concept department already know what look they want, and that makes it very easy to create a texture.

I have to agree Leigh, although I have little experience in texturing I can see many of your points hold much weight. If you have what you're trying to texture narrowed down to a precise type of texture you don't have to worry about the process because like you said its been narrowed down. And if you're good you could probably create pretty good textures from using great observation. Overall the dvd was a great ice breaker for me

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2005, 05:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.