PDA

View Full Version : still: Reconstruct

root
10-14-2002, 06:31 PM
Hey all...
here is a pic made in blender, i was going for a more 2d look than anything else...
feed back is welcome
http://www.geocities.com/snailrose/reconstruct.html
let me know what you think

Root

root
10-16-2002, 03:48 AM
Is it really that bad?

root

E.Z. Schwartz
10-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Well it's definatly not "good". Most of all it's hard to tell what's going on. It looks like 2 frames faded together. The only thing I can make out is a guy standing between two trees. The tree models are very poor, as are the textures. The bump is too high and computery looking. Maybe if you explain what we're looking at and what kind of comments you want you'll get more.

Ezra

coboman
10-16-2002, 05:22 PM
I think this kind of work is out of fashion, meaning: there was so much bad stuff done this way the last decade, that anything resembling those collages looks tacky (or kitsch).

The composition is fine, and I would have liked it if it was the first of its kind I saw (like I did like those old works). But today it just looks bad.

root
10-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Okay:thumbsup: thanks for the feedback
at least its honest
root

Gentle Fury
10-17-2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by E.Z. Schwartz
Well it's definatly not "good". Most of all it's hard to tell what's going on. It looks like 2 frames faded together. The only thing I can make out is a guy standing between two trees. The tree models are very poor, as are the textures. The bump is too high and computery looking. Maybe if you explain what we're looking at and what kind of comments you want you'll get more.

Ezra

I dont think i have ever seen anything constructive come out of ANY of your posts..........you are always SO self rightous and think you are the shit and yet i have never seen any of your work to back this holier then thou attitude! You obviously are a hobbiest because anyone that is actually making a living doing this knows that you have a degree of respect for people and if someone asks for advice or a critique you give just that. To just go and say......well it sucks and this is crap and this is horrible is a very ameture and unprofessional way to act!! If you ever worked with me and gave me that attitude you wouldnt be lasting very long :)

As for the image at hand yes, it has some problems.....but you dont get good at this stuff without practice....and if anyone on here can say thier first 3d work was amazing and perfect you are lieing because everyone i know that's first work was awesome would never admit to it!

The trees are a bit too bumpy, lower it a bit just seems way too course. Another thing you may want to do is make a specular map, to break it up a bit seems a bit metalic. The composition is pretty nice. The character seems a bit ill-proportioned, get some references.....even if it is supposed to be stylized you may just want to soften it a bit.

Remove a bit of the gunk on the camera, its rather distracting. I know you were going for an effect, but it really detracts from the effect your trying to achieve.

There is a ring of some sort under the trees.....im not sure what you were going for, but in my opionion, it doesnt look like it belongs. The water, looks nice. Take down the reflection a lil bit and it will be really nice.

Keep on practicing, your off to a really good start.

And dont let unproffessional fools stand in the way of your dreams!!!!

Happy Rendering!!!!

E.Z. Schwartz
10-17-2002, 01:35 PM
What are you talking about? I'm sorry I came off that way, but it's not how I intended. I think you're wrong about me never being constructive. And I'm not usualy negative. I don't even think I was negative in this case. I was mostly responding to his "Is it really that bad?" comment. That's why I said "well it's not "good" (with quotes)", meaning it's not that bad, it's just not good yet. I think there's no point telling people something is good when it's not. I want people to be harsh with critiques with me, that's the only way I'll improve. There's too much "yey that's great" on this forum I think, I was just trying not to do that, although I'm guilty of that every so often. By the way, I don't think I'm "the shit". I think if you reread what I said it won't come off as "well it sucks and this is crap and this is horrible " as you say. If it did I appologize.

Ezra

E.Z. Schwartz
10-17-2002, 02:18 PM
Oops, I should apologize to Root if he was offended. I was a little shaken from being called a dick I didn't appologize right the first time.

Ezra

E.Z. Schwartz
10-17-2002, 03:49 PM
One more thing "gentle fury", could you give some examples of my unconstructive, mean posts? What did coboman say that didn't merit a flaming from you other than "The composition is fine"? Perhaps read things in context before flaming someone. Sorry about all this off topic stuff on your thread root, but being attacked like this pisses me off.

Ezra

root
10-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Nope not offended!
if thats your opinion on it...
Im just learning and i think we all make bad designs
especially if your still learning.
Gentle Fury thanks for the constructive crtique
:beer:

root

Gentle Fury
10-17-2002, 10:51 PM
i was in a bad mood that nite and i didnt like that it seemed like someone was being mean to a beginneer.........i do appologize though.........someone else on here had a similar avatar and everytime i saw that person they always had something negative to say.....looking back on your previous posts though, it wasnt you.

So, again sorry :)

Happy Rendering!

E.Z. Schwartz
10-17-2002, 11:28 PM
No prob dude. I do think I should make sure what I write comes out how I mean it. Without gestures and tone of voice things can be minenturpreted.

Keep at it root, we all start out as beginners :)

Ezra

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.