PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! CarCrash!: Tyson Ibele (Fantasy)

ivanisavich
05-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey all,

I probably won't finish this....but either way I'm sure I'll learn something and have fun anyways hehe :)

So....here's a test I did using 3dsmax 7.

All of the deformations and physics are done using reactor (specifically, rigid body and cloth dynamics)...no special scripts....just outright setups and calculations.

Obviously it's NOTHING special yet....I was just playing around to see if I could achieve that instant deform-->freeze that is a property of metal when something hits it. In other words, at high speeds metal deforms like a stiff cloth...yet after it bends and breaks (and the impact is over) it retains its new shape (whereas cloth and soft bodies either fully collapse, or try to maintain their original shapes). Makes sense?

Anywho....here's the test:

Crash Test 1 (520k, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/crashtest1.mov)

I chocked it up with some sound too, for those of you with speakers ;)

Expect some more updates soon...but like I said...I probably won't get a chance to actually finish an entry for this challenge.

artman50
05-30-2005, 12:27 AM
how can i make that ? please.

ivanisavich
05-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Everything will be revealed after the challenge ;) hehe

bRuNuShky
05-30-2005, 12:58 PM
You got the touch man ...ahahaha ...this is good ... I will pay more atention to the weels and try to fix it to the car body and dont let it deatach to the car ... of ccourse ( if I can do that ;) ) for now my crash looks like nothing hahaha, I have nice deformation bad fisics responces .... :( ....

well good luck http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

jigu
05-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Everything will be revealed after the challenge ;) hehe

heehee can i open the secrets?

jigu
05-31-2005, 05:18 AM
how can i make that ? please.

well as u r courious about how is is done.here is the file that shows u.how it is done.
well it seems very easy on low poly model.but if u r gonna use high poly model like car.than it is very hard to simulate car as a cloth.:twisted: i suggest that donot try cloth or any softbody simulator to simulate car crash.it will take hours of time to simulate the animation.well i found that using reactor cloth modifier and cloth collection in max, u can achive car crash animation.
but with cost of times.than i don't think my computer can do.

well so what i find is using reactor u can't deform car.deformation works good on low poly model.but when it comes to high poly models like car than it will take time to simulate deformation.

anyway good luck.
download file : http://jigu.actkid.com/newtest.max (it is max 7 version file)

blasphemy3_d
05-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Great job the_jigu. The impact looks amazing. The only thing I donīt like very much is the Tires. Anyway great job. Thanks you for the file too :)

artman50
05-31-2005, 08:13 PM
hi the_jigu ill test a litle and try to configure rigid body to do that ... TX

ivanisavich
05-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey the_jigu...thanks for hijacking my thread! :D

Here's my latest test that I made today. NOTE: this is just a test, and doesn't represent what will actually be happening in my final fx animation (I'm planning on doing a live action mix for that).

Basically, I made this to see what the simulations would be like on a real car model (the model is not mine, btw). Overall...simulation time is very short still....maybe 30 seconds to a minute in total.

Also....for all of those wondering how I've done the soft deformations and rigid body combo...well....the method has been guessed correctly in several other people's threads :). Basically, 1 pass for the cloth sim, then 1 pass for the rigid body sim. When combined, they create a seamless "crunch" animation :D

Anyways....post your comments!

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/crashtest2.jpg

Crash Test 2 (1.2mb, Divx) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/crashtest2.avi)

Crash Test 2 (2.5mb, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/crashtest2.mov)

bRuNuShky
05-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Woo .. nice motion, nice crash http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif you got the touch!!!

mmmm I can see for your word that may be Im in the rigth way http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon3.gif

Well tonight I will drive my car at 60 m/h and look for a nice tree and watch waht happend...this can be paintfuly but is for a good reson... http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

jigu
06-01-2005, 02:31 AM
hey thanks all u guys!! heheh!!

hey ivanisevich i saw ur second test!! i love it man!! very effective!!
but i think it is still low poly car.as i said it is very hard simluate high poly model using reactor.it will take time to play in reactor.anyway now i must u have some secrets.well after this challange open ur secret!!

if possible this spy(jigu)(i mean me) will open ur secret!!
i m spying ur computer man!! hehe!!:twisted:

jigu
06-01-2005, 11:12 AM
hi ivanesavich!!

after hacking ur computer(hahah):twisted: i got ur secret files man!!(u know i m working in FBI)
i got it how u use rigid body and cloth pass to simulate this animation!!
first u have created animation for rigidbody ("car" as a rigid body object) than u have used cloth reactor to simulate cruches!!
anyway i got it to working on my lowpoly model!! but when it comes to high poly model!!
my max get hangs out!!

here is sample divx avi that shows animation i have done!!
animation looks bit strange becoz i didn't follow meshflow in my model!! modeing low poly with right flow is also important in simulation!!
sorry for hijacking ur thread!!:deal:

file : http://jigu.actkid.com/1.avi

ivanisavich
06-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi the_jigu,

Well....the model's at 98,000 polys right now....so I'm not too sure what your definition of "low" poly is. I'll also be modelling some of the interior once I'm ready to do the final comp. But overall...as I mentioned, the cloth simulation on it takes only about 30 seconds. Combined with the different rigid body simulations in the scene, total dynamics computation time is only around 1 minute.

As for hacking my computer...the one I made that on does not have an internet connection installed in it.....so have fun! :D

Anyways....your model is still flopping around in your test there...and it's obvious that you've just thrown a soft body controller on it. Also...there's no "crunch" on impact. The back end flops forward when it hits, intead of the front end collapsing in on itself. If you've ever seen a crash test dummy vid...you'll notice that often the back end of the car remains intact while the front end is totalled (after hitting the test wall).

Anyways...I've been thinking about what I'm going to do for my final movie....for a while I was thinking a live action comp...but now I think I'm going to do it totally cg. Ah well...we'll see....I've still got a month to go ;)

jigu
06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
anyway ivanesavich u r doing simulations to high poly models!!
so ur secrets r secrets!! but i hope u opened after this challange!!
man u r doing awsome!! i can't wait for ur final movie!!
but i think my guessing is right about reactor simulations u have done!!

rquinn
06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
holy ****ing shit
i want to know how you did that and I want to know NOW!
damn seriously you have the most potentitial I say in this contest
all you gotta work on is not to make it stop so suddenly after impact
maybe you will add fire or some debri in the wind or something but its tooo dead after the impact

please tell me how you did this
i will help you with lighting and compositing if you want

jigu
06-02-2005, 03:22 AM
As for hacking my computer...the one I made that on does not have an internet connection installed in it.....so have fun! :D

oops!!:rolleyes: anyway well u said about my model!! well that's the testing model which is not modeled correctly!!
i saw ur crash!! it;s amazing but my though about ur crash is right!!
u have did first rigid body animation and than u have done cloth or softbody simulation!!

anyway tell me ur pc configeration!!

i have AMD 64 bit athlone 3000+ on asus a8n sli deluxe mother board.
512mb ram and geforce 6600 gt pci-express graphics card. system is running on 2.2 GHz.

now let me know ur configeration!!:)

ivanisavich
06-02-2005, 12:58 PM
My setup is nothing special....

P4 2.8
1 Gig Ram
Ati 9700Pro

rquinn
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
your gonna ignore me?
lollll
ok ok i get it
no seriously can you just direct me to a simple tutorial on getting the deformation right?

ivanisavich
06-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm not ignoring you man ;)

But I said above that I won't let on to any "special" techniques until after the challenge. Wouldn't be much of a challenge if everyone knew how everyone else was doing their stuff ;)

I don't know of any tutorials covering the subject. I got my results from playing around.

blasphemy3_d
06-02-2005, 03:36 PM
The crash is amazin ivanisavich. Looks so real... The camera, the model, the speed.... Congrats man!

jigu
06-02-2005, 03:51 PM
your gonna ignore me?
lollll
ok ok i get it
no seriously can you just direct me to a simple tutorial on getting the deformation right?

why r u being worry? u can do it with lots of techinques.u don;t need to do it with reactor.u can use reactor as a car rigid body dynamics!! than using noise,displace(see samulth had posted very good tips in tips and tricks thread) or ffd box deform modifier u can do crash exactly ivanesavich did!!

one thing i know is this thread is gonna be rocked after challange!!

thoughtcriminal
06-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey may, great work!
How long did it take you to do the second one?

Only thing I can say is that the exterior parts don't shatter, they just deform and might detach. only thing that flies out in a crash is glass and fragments from the engine and other stuff from the inside of the car like dust and sometimes people, if they didn't have their sitbelts on...

Anyway, once again - good job, loads of energy, I almost felt the shock.

I thougt about joining the war but I think it's too late and I don't have time to breath anyway. too bad, I allready have a car in progress and it would really be nice to crash it into something... what do you say?

http://img2.tapuz.co.il/forums/53626511.jpg

http://img2.tapuz.co.il/forums/53627437.jpg

ivanisavich
06-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Only thing I can say is that the exterior parts don't shatter, they just deform and might detach. only thing that flies out in a crash is glass and fragments from the engine and other stuff from the inside of the car like dust and sometimes people, if they didn't have their sitbelts on...

Good point :) I'll remember to tone down the particles for the final animation...and turn up the smoke.

Btw....the 2nd test I did took me around 4 hours for everthing.

As for your car....it's very tempting...but right now it's looks a bit too high poly. The 80-90,000 poly mark (after meshsmooth) is approx. my limit before my computer starts breaking things ;)...thanks for the offer though!

thoughtcriminal
06-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Yeah it's a bit too high poly (that was the initial Idea...), but I might give up a few hours of sleep to do some testings myself. who knows, maybe it will work nicely...

rquinn
06-03-2005, 06:32 PM
HEY IM NOT WORRIED
and thank you for answering
i can wait till after the contest no prob

Gangstashers
06-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey man that's some awsome tests you have there.

Realy nicly done, i would like to see more things flying out of the car and breaking. Also like somone else said the car looks to dead after impact.

Anywayz are you going to make a tutorial/Video tutorial on how you did make the crash? After the challange.

Good luck your doing great!

Sheherryar

ivanisavich
06-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi all,

Started on the environment. Just some still frames to show...the animation is rendering right now ;)...should have it up by tommorow.

Anyways...

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/crash_setting2.jpg
http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/crash_setting1.jpg
http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/crash_setting3.jpg

blasphemy3_d
06-07-2005, 10:24 PM
GREAT!

Show us while moving man. Looks great!

jigu
06-08-2005, 04:00 AM
holy shit!!! in this challange two man is doing gr8 : one is u and another is blasphemy.:thumbsup:

EDIT : BTW, Is whole environment CG?

BenBolin
06-08-2005, 05:47 AM
I'm detecting a whole lot of tension in this thread, and I think perhaps some persons here may have temporarily forgotten the whole point of why we're here. Lets remind ourselves. We want to tell stories with pictures, compelling pictures that move in convincing ways. To that end, we come here to discuss, to exchange knowledge and technique. We want to be competitive, but we must remember that this competition is among friends. There is no actualy monetary prize here. And everyone here, even the newbies, has something to offer. There is little point to withholding information about a particular technique, as the person from whom you are withholding probably knows something you would find useful (or will at some point), and you only make it less likely that they will assist you in the future if you withhold information now simply for the sake of winning what was supposed to be a friendly competition. It is similarly pointless to hurling insults or invectives when someone does choose to withhold such information. So lets all have ourselves a nice big group hug, and move on.

Now, lets look at ivanisavich (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=19108) 's animation to see why we find it so compelling. The first thing I notice is that the camera work is very natural, it appears to be handheld from on board another vehicle moving along side the crashing car. When the crash occurs, there is a sudden jerking motion, as if the camera man is in shock and attempting to track the rapid movement. We get the sense of a real point of view, a real place in the space of the scene. The rendering is also very accurate, with soft shadows, light bloom, motion blur, etc. And the sound gives a real visceral sense of impact to the image that we feel as well as hear and see.

The next thing we notice is that the overall motion of the car looks very realistic. ivanisavich (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=19108) said it was straight reactor rigid-body dynamics, so if you don't know these very well, read the built in tutorials, and look up others. Further, try to use real-world values for size, mass etc to get the most accurate motion possible. Reactor allows for connections that break when you instruct them to, or upon a threshhold force, so you can give your car as many break-off pieces as you want, resulting in the spray of bits and pieces that are so convincing here. Or you could even use instanced particles for this (It's hard to tell in ivanisavich (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=19108)'s animation where the individual pieces come from on the car because the impact occurs rapidly- in such a situation, particles might be easier.) In general, the meshes used for rigid body collision should be simpler than your rendered meshes (to speed up calculation) and slightly smaller, to give you room for deformation (see below).

Only after we see these things do we notice the deformation that everyone here is discussing. This deformation occurs relatively quickly, over only a few frames. It could easily be done with a few blend shapes, FFD's or other deformers. The cloth system can also give nice results, but it's not necessary. If you choose to use it, I think the basic technique is to bake the rigid body simulation then pin the cloth to the rigid body model every where except where it needs to deform. The mesh used for cloth deformation should also be lower res than your render model, but should match the topology, not being larger or smaller. You use the simulated cloth mesh to deform the render mesh. You only need to simulate the cloth over the few frames right during and after impact- when the physical strain is greatest. For the rest of the time, the whole body should be rigid. If you have separate pieces coming off and hitting the ground and bending then, you could also use cloth solving for the few frames around each of those impacts. But you might be overdoing it.

ivanisavich
06-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi there Ben,

Just thought I'd address a few things in your post :)

I'm detecting a whole lot of tension in this thread

I don't see where. Can you quote the post where you see "tension"?

To that end, we come here to discuss, to exchange knowledge and technique. We want to be competitive, but we must remember that this competition is among friends.

Certainly! And that's why this is a friendly competition...but a competition nonetheless. Although to a certain degree we should be open to sharing our "techniques"...this is entitled Effects Wars so there has to be some level of secrecy between competitors. If not...we might as well just pass around our scene files every time we post an update.

There is little point to withholding information about a particular technique, as the person from whom you are withholding probably knows something you would find useful (or will at some point), and you only make it less likely that they will assist you in the future if you withhold information now simply for the sake of winning what was supposed to be a friendly competition.

If there was another situation where the_jigu (the one who most wanted to know how I did my deformations) had a piece of information that would assist me during a competition (and therefore I wanted to know it)....I would have no problem with him "not wanting to share it" until after the competition closes (similar to what I have said about my technique this time around). It's only fair, since it is a competition we're talking about. Remember, it's not like I've said "I don't wanna tell!!!"...I've simply stated that I won't go in-depth about it until after the challenge is over. Like I said, I think that's only fair.

It is similarly pointless to hurling insults or invectives when someone does choose to withhold such information.

I'm not following....where do you see insults being hurdled in this thread?

Anyways....as I mentioned earlier in this thread (when the_jigu "guessed" the technique I was "hiding" ;)), my animation is a mixture of cloth and rigid body deformations. Cloth is calculated only for the few frames on impact, and then rigid body takes over for the rest of the movements.

The reason I'm sticking to cloth though, is because my final animation calls for a super slow impact (slo-mo) which means that I can't afford to lose the deformation detail I can get with a cloth-sim by changing to a modifier based impact.

Anymcwho....thanks for addressing the issues you saw in my thread, and analyzing my animation. I appreciate your post :)

ivanisavich
06-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Animation update! Just a scenery fly-through test :D

There are still some things to fix, such as:

-toning down the volume light on the lightposts....right now, every time the camera travels past one, there is a brightness variation in the animation. Anyways...that can be fixed by shortening the length/density of the volume light.

-adding some extra scenery things

-fixing the lit windows of the buildings. Right now they're too bright I think...

Anyways...here it is!

Fly-through (950kb, DivX) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/setting_flythrough.avi)

blasphemy3_d
06-08-2005, 02:18 PM
:thumbsup:

great sense man! I agree with your coments to fix. Anyway great job :)

I will add one more. The flats looks like too far to me. It is only from my point of view.

Great job. Congrats!

jigu
06-08-2005, 02:44 PM
hey ivan if u allow i want to see wire frames of ur environment!!
i didn't think that u r hiding technique.i was just making fun with u by saying "i hacked ur pc and opened ur secret". i agree with u but u must open secrets after the contest.okei.well until that i will try to open the secrets by myself.
i put those file becoz i want to share it with ppl.i don't care who will win. i m here to learn something more from pros like u and blasphemy.

and i think this contest is gonna rock.i see lots of cool entries.

anyway i m waiting for wire views of environment.

ivanisavich
06-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi there blasphemy,

I link I'm going to keep the length of highway the way it is. I based the scene on a reference photo of a highway that basically extended for miles and miles without curves or bumps, and being able to keep the road as just a plane with 1x1 segments makes things a WHOLE lot easier too ;) I guess I could add some off-ramps or something to break it up a bit though...who knows...we'll see

Hi the_jigu...I'll post some wires in a bit :)

jigu
06-08-2005, 03:43 PM
plz post it soon. i m waiting for it.

Global
06-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Very nice so far! I agree all of the comments here... well apart from the one about tension in the thread - though it was all said in good faith I'm sure, besides - I'm always up for a group hug! ;)

Certainly could do with some off ramps and such just to break it up and I would suggest having some buildings closer to the the camera (that quick pan to the right showed the bulding closest to the camera and it's perspective shift certainly added to the sense of speed)

Toning down the volume light on the streetlights is a good idea (the intense light should be right at the very source), though the brightening of the whole anim as the camera passes through the lights is not such a bad thing IMO.

As for the actual crash test... oh yeah! The car looks mashed up good ;) I would say that there is a slightly unnatural bounce to the car body towards the end so you may want to check the overall weight.

Looking forward to the updates! :)

PS... my first post, needs to be validated etc so this may be a little out of date! :P

ivanisavich
06-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Alright...I've tweaked the scene again. Also optimized it a bit so that even though I've added a whole new set of overpasses etc, the rendertimes per frame have been brought from 2.5 minutes to about 55 seconds :D

Here's (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/setting_wires.jpg) the wires...although I'm not sure how much they'll help ya ;)

Gangstashers
06-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Wow man i just checked your website and i realy think it's super cool! Your 18 and your at this level of 3D makes me wanna jump out of the window! You know i'm 17 and im doing 3D for like 5-6 months now, and im basicly trying to learn composeting, when i saw your short ''The Beast Within'' I taught DAMNZ! i played it all day just to see how you did it! And the sound FX damnit!!! Can u PM me how you composite it, and how you made the sound FX?! PLease!

Once again i realy like your Gallery ^^

Sheherryar

jigu
06-09-2005, 03:13 AM
ivan u r just 18 year old.i m at 19 and doing 3d from last year.i saw ur amazing stuff on ur website.
man u r doing gr8.

ivan : can u plaz post shaded +wire view it will help me to understand buildings geomatry and etc etc.plz plz plz.:)

ivanisavich
06-09-2005, 03:44 AM
Hi the_jigu

I doubt a shaded view is going to help much...

The building are just textured onto planes. Same with the trees. Everything else is modelled though.

jigu
06-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi the_jigu

I doubt a shaded view is going to help much...

The building are just textured onto planes. Same with the trees. Everything else is modelled though.

i like to see shaded + wire view.can u plz post it.and r u just 18 year old?:eek:

Gangstashers
06-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Updates?! :bounce:

ivanisavich
06-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Heya,

Currently rendering right now...I'll be posting an update later today :)

anirudha
06-14-2005, 10:10 PM
really awesome work evanisavich,
ur work keeps inspiring me.
because of guys like u, i entered the competition
to learn from ur workz.
gr8 results.
me too using the 350z & also merc slk.

ivanisavich
06-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Update!

Here's a render of shot 1 and 2:

Drivetest1 (1.1mb, DivX) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/drivetest1.avi)

Post your comments!...although due to time contraints I'm pretty much calling those shots final :)

Btw...it's taking about 30-60 seconds per frame to render right now.

blasphemy3_d
06-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Woa, looks great. I like the look. It is like NFS Underground.

Congrats Ivan.

anirudha
06-15-2005, 06:25 PM
awesome work.....

yes it looks like nfsu one of my all time favourites.

LordDubu
06-15-2005, 07:00 PM
that's sickeningly good... subscribe on!

CoreyJAvitar
06-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Oh man, you make me sick! did you say you were 17?
I'm 16 and My work isn't any where near as good as yours! :eek:
PLEAZE!! Make sure once you are done with this contest to post a tutorial or something on how you do the simulations.
Wow.... :banghead:
~Murphy~

jigu
06-16-2005, 02:02 AM
ivan ur work is looking cool. but tyson don't u feel that environment gives little kinda game feelings.i think u can work on road bump texture to make it more realistic.but remaining works r gr8. btw how old r u?:deal:

ivanisavich
06-16-2005, 03:14 AM
Hi the_jigu,

I'm keeping the environment the way it is to keep rendering times at a minimum. I realize it has a video game feel...but anything like lighting upgrades, better textures etc is gonna cost me rendering time that I don't have :P...btw...yes, I'm 18 :)

Anyways...next update! This one features the appearance of the robot. Yes...I said robot ;) Figured I might as well do something more original than a car hitting another car, or a wall or something...so it looks like I'm gonna have myself a little showdown instead hehe.

Drivetest2 (1.8mb, DivX) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/drivetest2.avi)

jigu
06-16-2005, 07:44 AM
nice work!!

:thumbsup:

blasphemy3_d
06-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi Ivan.

I have read something about video game feel... You say that you canīt spent more time texturing and things like that bc of the render time. I think that the videogame look is thanks to the light more that the textures. It is very difficult to get a realistic render in night scenes. It is only my point of view but maybe it is an atmosphere and ambient problem.

Anyway I like it as it is. I love the camera man :)

jigu
06-16-2005, 10:29 AM
well blasphemy ....i think ivan is gonna be very close compititer against u in this challange.i m sure.:)

blasphemy3_d
06-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Nobody doubt about that :)

Gangstashers
06-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow that totaly cool man, it looked like some Anime robot jumping styl totaly cool indeed!

Keep it up man!

Sheherryar

ivanisavich
06-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Arg! Time is running out!

But never fear...I should be able to get done on time! :D

Anyways...UPDATE. Added a few new shots, fixed a few shots...and started on SOUND design!

Please note that there is still quite a bit of work I have to do with the current sound line-up...a whole bunch of sound fx have yet to be added in the area of the animation where the robot starts running (so it might sound a little "empty")...and a lot of the sound levels still need to be adjusted because some sounds are a bit overpowering....but otherwise...I hope you like it!

Drivetest3 (7mb, DivX) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/drivetest3.avi)

Btw...although I welcome critiques as always, due to time contraints I probably won't be going back to rework any of the shots you see in this clip.

artman50
06-18-2005, 06:14 PM
humm the robot, i like the idea of running in 4 legs but i dont like how it does . it will be better it runs like a tiger or a leopard , no like a drunk spider .

archerx
06-19-2005, 04:21 PM
hey tyson, just dropping by to see whats up. so far what you have looks great!

can't wait to see it when its done

ivanisavich
06-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi artman,

Originally I did have it running more like a cheetah, but then I decided that I wanted it to feel less like a fast animal, and more like a berserk maniac :) (hence, the non-uniform run cycle)

thanks arch :)

thoughtcriminal
06-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Hey man - great progress!!! I really liked the robot and it's special run-cycle, it's nice. The camera movement is also great as usual :)

I got to ask you - where do you get all those sfx from, and what program do you use to edit them?

Anyway, can't wait to see the final piece, I'm sure it'll be a blast, good luck.

Gangstashers
06-19-2005, 06:08 PM
I asked you in a PM a few question about how you did thw sound in the beast within with some other questions but your prolly to busy to answer now so i think your going to answer it after the challange?!

Anywayz...

YOUR DOING F**** GREAT MAN! I think you also deserve 5 stars! So im giving you my 5 stars!
Also can you explain how you did the sound effects?! I was wondering how you make them a long time now...

Anywayz good luck man your doing great! and i like the uniek walk cycle of the robot ^^!

Sheherryar

ivanisavich
06-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks!

As for sound effects...generally I get them from a wide variety of sources. Video games, sound effects CDs, movies, websites etc.

Here's (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/premiere.jpg) a screenshot showing my sound setup in adobe Premiere. As you can see, this particular animation has about 25 layers of sound effects....combining around 150 (or so) sounds :)...took about 2-3 hours to get as far as I did.

There's no real secret...although I usually work like this: Ambient sound-->Foley-->Music.

Remember that what you heard in the latest update was not the final sound design though! ;) ;)

anirudha
06-19-2005, 07:48 PM
freaking cool ivanasavich...

the robot adds some punch man...

awesome work waiting to see the crash

artman50
06-20-2005, 02:00 AM
ok if itīs on porpouse you get it ! lol , i forgot to say that i love the enviroment ( the buildings) render and animation , weīll we see the crash soon ? i hope we does !!! :scream: nice stuff i think that the competition will be vere hard ( if someone else finish and of course if you deoes lol ... cya men . )

bRuNuShky
06-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey this look great ..nice motion... and after saw your colltions test this have to be amaizing ... I like when the robot jump over the car, it make me think in the I-robot tunel secuense... the slow motion and the way like the robot move it amazing is too dinamyc...I like it so much...
well this works are geting realy realy goods!! ... good luck and "keep runing"...

ivanisavich
06-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Update :)

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/drivetest4.avi

It's gettin there!

jigu
06-22-2005, 02:20 AM
well looks nice. but i don't understand why does that front glass bend when robot damage the top of car.(near that front glass.)

anyway this is coming really nice.:thumbsup:

ivanisavich
06-22-2005, 02:57 AM
Hey jigs....if you look close he jams his hand down onto the edge of the window/roof :)

artman50
06-22-2005, 03:54 AM
nice!! y like i begin to like that running .. lol ! y like to see de class crassing if u use max im lost but the blastcode is compatible with maya

blasphemy3_d
06-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Ey looks great to me man :) I like the way the robot runs like a savage.

Roux
06-22-2005, 10:22 AM
That is very cool. I would love to see the roof dent as the robot lands on it though.

Great imagination and very original.

jigu
06-22-2005, 12:09 PM
tysone i just have seen ur site.and ur work really amazed me.really u have 4 years experience that sure makes u winner of this challange.i just love the stuff on ur site.:thumbsup: :eek:

ivanisavich
06-23-2005, 02:54 AM
Thanks all for the comments!

Here's the next update, for those of you following my thread ;)

Drivetest5 (700k, DivX) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/drivetest5.avi)

No smoke coming from the squealing/dragging tires yet...that's what I'm currently rendering hehe

ivanisavich
06-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Here is my finished animation!

If I had more time and a faster computer I would have loved to redo the lighting, textures, sound etc etc....but I'm happy with what I came up with anyways.

Thanks for all your comments and support!

Car Crash Quicktime (25mb) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.mov)

Car Crash DivX (14mb) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.avi)

Please comment...and enjoy!

LordDubu
06-28-2005, 10:05 PM
That's pretty tight... would have been nice for a little bit of slow-mo to emphasize some of the impact. but over all pretty good.

artman50
06-28-2005, 10:09 PM
wow dude , you are my hero lol when i habe 18 i wana do something like that , the animation is perfect, it would ge gr8 if the glass crashh buy is 10 stars for me... congratulations .. u will win Shure you will

ivanisavich
06-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey Dubu,

Originally the crash scene included a massive slo-mo shot...but I found that it really took away from the high-speed-ness of the whole crash...so I left that scene out :)

CoreyJAvitar
06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Definitely Amazing Man, :eek: wish I had your powers!
Definitely awaiting some sort of tutorial on how you simulate the car crash and all that.
Keep it up!
:eek: :thumbsup:
~Murphy~

ivanisavich
06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
By the way, the car model was done by XT.Group

jigu
06-29-2005, 03:10 AM
ohh man!! u really did amazing stuff.
so best of luck.:thumbsup:

thoughtcriminal
06-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Hey man!

Great job, nice to finally see it all together.

I think that the fact that with such limited resources you managed to pull out something so classy is amazing. Applaus for the effort and the end resault, I'm sure you're proud of it :)

Some questions:
How did you come up with the idea?
how much time would you astimate the whole thing took? can you break it apart?
Is there anything you would change if you had more time?
What are the most important things you've learned working on this project?

Once again - great job, you're getting better and better, to the point where it doesn't even seem possible :)

SuperMax
06-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Lord god almighty!

did you do that? or did you copy from WETA or someone? :p

great great work dude. One of the bestest things ive seen on this forum done by one person.

Just interested in the environment, How did you do the background and side building etc tc

Ac0rN
06-29-2005, 01:28 PM
damn tyson... not mutch to say, kickass job man ;)

ivanisavich
06-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey all!

Phew! I'm glad you guys like it :) ...that's always an issue with the stuff I make...."Will they like it? Will they hate it and throw oranges at me? etc" ;)

Anyways....

Hey thoughtcriminal....

How did you come up with the idea?

Well originally it was going to be set in the daytime...and feature a cartoon character as the main lead....

...then I thought that would take away from the coolness of a crash (having it cartoony)...so I decided that I wanted to do it at night...with rain and all.

...then...I discovered that there was NO way my computer could handle the kind of rain I wanted to be in the scene....so I scrapped the rain and kept it at night.

THEN I decided to have a robot come in and "attack"....since I figured that just having the car smash into something woulnd't be as much fun.

Finally...I kept that idea and played it by ear as I went along.

how much time would you astimate the whole thing took? can you break it apart?

GOOD question haha. I'm not too sure. I believe I started about 3 weeks ago...didn't work on it every day though. I'd have to check the actual max files (and their creation/modification dates) to see exactly how long it took....but I think I worked on it (not including rendering) about 4-5 hours per day (average) over the course of the 3 weeks....multiply that out and you have around 80-100 hours. Also...each shot took only around 1 day each (1 day of working on it...so around 4-5 hours)...and since there's around 18 different shots in total...that's about 1 shot/day (from setup, to animation, to final comp).

Is there anything you would change if you had more time?

Well...if I had more time....no.....but if I had a faster computer...YES! TONS!

The reason I say that is because a lot of the shots were soooo laggy in the viewports (even with most of the objects hidden)...so it was really quite tricky to animate a lot of them. It was so frustrating at times that even if I did have more time...I still wouldn't want to change anything...because it drove me nuts working on it in the first place!

But...if I had a faster computer etc, I would definitely change things like the lighting, textures, work on a more suitable car rig etc. Mostly just the lighting though....because it was the thing that slowed-down/crashed my computer the most. Right now there are around 100 lights...but only 3 of them (in some shots only 1) are shadow-casting....this makes some of the surfaces look odd....also....I would have loved to implement some sort of indirect-illumination light setup too (and give blashphemy_3d a run for his money ;))...but in some of my initial lighting tests....VRay would crash Max after rendering out a frame...so that wasn't exactly an option.

What are the most important things you've learned working on this project?

Well...I'm ashamed to say this...but this was the first project I've completed where I really took advantage of rendering out passes/layers. Mind you, I didn't do a separate pass for shadows and highlights and reflections and stuff (as you're supposed to)...but I did do passes for the particles, smoke and sparks and let me tell ya...that made things SOOO much easier and efficient! So I learned my way through that....

Also...not so much a "lesson" as it is just something cool....I figured out a way to do so-called "rigid body deformations". My method is not perfect (not by a long shot)...but it works and it worked well for my project. So that was another nice little step for me :) (btw...yes a tutorial will be written once the contest comes to a close :D)

How did you do the background and side building etc tc

Hey Supermax...

How did you do the background and side building etc tc

The background is a giant sphere with a cloud map that encompasses the whole scene. To avoid weird parralax effects I was having with some of the buildings...I made it about as big as you can possibly make an object in Max (within reason).

The buildings are pictures of regular day-lit buildings, projected onto planes which are scattered throughout the background region of the scene. To make them night-like (basically sillhouettes with bright lights) I took the original pictures into photoshop, and then darkened up the darks and brightened up the brights (lights). Also...I erased the backgrounds of the original images and created alpha maps for all of them. Finally, in each different scene, the building planes were then rotated to face towards the camera (so you couldn't tell that they were simply planes)

The trees were also done in a similar fashion. First, I rendered out a series of different tree objects (using Max 7's default foliage creator), retaining their alpha channel. Then I took them into photoshop, darkened them up etc and then projected them onto more planes in the final scene. Once again, they were rotated in each shot to face the camera.

Other than the buildings and trees...everything else in the scene was modelled (besides the car...which was a free downloadable model as already mentioned).

Thanks for the comments and questions!

saad_ahmad
06-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Awsome effects:thumbsup:

Roux
07-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Amazing work Tyson. Best of luck!

RobertoOrtiz
07-02-2005, 01:33 PM
First I would like to thank Samuel Kvaalen for coding this voting page and hosting it.

Go >>HERE<< (http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/fxwars/enter.php) and post your infromation if you want your animation to be part of the voting on Monday night.

-R

Gonzomuse
07-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Great Looking stuff there Tyson.

Genuinley exciting to watch. If I had any crits they would be about the lighting but given what you've achieved in the time I'm blown away.

I really like the sinister movement of the robot, but sooo wanted it to jump at the camera at the end!

Best of luck.

Julez4001
07-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Fantastic tuff , you and Blasphemy have the bestw ok.
Hopefully this stuff can become a prize winning competition.

ReBootedOne
07-05-2005, 07:40 PM
I absolutely love this one in concept, execution, style, and just everything about it. Totally awesome work. I especially love your robot character and the lighting here.
Faaantastiche.

-eric

greenj2
07-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Great work man! The whole thing looks great, I especially liked the part where the robot punches the car and flips it over. Best of luck for the contest. :thumbsup:

jfelrod1960
07-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Man that was too damn awesome! You got the start of a real nice 3D animated short! :thumbsup:

collingtech
07-06-2005, 11:56 PM
so ivan, could you post some tut about it??
thanks

mohamed__
07-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Tyson!... This looks really great .. keep it up.. You have a bright future in the cg industry http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

ivanisavich
07-07-2005, 02:07 AM
There will be a tutorial posted shortly ;)

Hopefully within a week.

R1PPER
07-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Absoluly amazing work....looking forward to the tutorial. :thumbsup:

Julez4001
07-07-2005, 10:11 PM
There will be a tutorial posted shortly ;)

Hopefully within a week.

Thats'll be great dude.
Are you animator by heart.
The robot part seem like soemthing you just really, really wanted to put in there.

ivanisavich
07-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Are you animator by heart.

Yessir I am! :)

jigu
07-08-2005, 04:00 AM
come on ivan plz go go.....i m waiting 4 ur tutorial....go ahead for tutorial.

u can post it on 3d community sites.:) :thumbsup:

well i must say in this contest i learned a lot from u guys.

3dblasphemy makes me think to do compositing work like specular bloom,lens flare,glow etc etc.

ivan inspired me a lot ...as he is only 18 year old .....u r my hero..i m just at 19 but can;t do stuff like that but i learned thing from u is patient.i need it.and i will keep in future..

also ur story board, camera movement and sounds editing r gr8.....that i haven;t done.

also i did try a lot to simulate car crash.but i got nothing with reactor cloth modifier.i mean i only able to simulate low poly model..where as i don;t know how u did simulate high poly model..

that;s y i m waiting 4 ur tutorial.
also i have seen ur site and there is gr8 stuff.

u inspired me to make proper story board.that i didn;t do in my car crash.there were nothing like story and suspense.

well what i can say is u r my hero.:scream:

well have a nice day,
jigu.

ivanisavich
07-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey jigu,

Don't worry! I'm still getting to the tutorial! Hehe...hold your horses ;)

Thanks for the compliments though! I'm happy I was an inspiration to you (as that's what this "art" thing is all about, right? ;))

R1PPER
07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
You've inspired me to do my own "little animation" Shame this FX wars is closed. :thumbsup:

TraceR
07-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Amazing! I saw the final entry and I was blown away. Very well done. Reminded me of I,Robot. Keep up the work. I would really like a making of if you get the time.

doobywho
07-08-2005, 09:06 PM
shame you didn't win - both entries were great! Can't wait for the tutorial and/or making of!

AdrianWilliams
07-09-2005, 12:26 AM
OMFG ivanisavich i really really think i love u right now, the whole animation was F**King amazin, the character animation on the robot is sooooo smooth and convincing that...well...i donno what 2 say, the punch is the best part for me 5★

Masnado
07-09-2005, 05:43 AM
Hi BIG ivanisavich
Many many compliments!
Your work is great as your explanations.
Thank you for sharing your technique!
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

MARTSMONDE
07-09-2005, 01:54 PM
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/eek.gif whaou!! very nice http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Buga
07-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Stuff like this makes me wanna give up on CG's, it's just too damn good :D

What renderer do you use?

+disciple+
07-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Great work! One question, what method are u using to animate the robot? Character Studio?

ivanisavich
07-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Hi! Thanks everyone for the input! Hold onto your hats too ;)...the "making of" is still in the making hehe I'm hoping to get to it tonight since I was at the beach all day and didn't have time :D

Hi Buga,

What renderer do you use?

Everything was rendered with the standard Scanline Renderer.

Hey +disciple*,

What method are u using to animate the robot? Character Studio?

The robot was animated with a simple custom rig. Basically, the head and flexible torso parts were just objects linked to each other (so FK)....and the arms/legs consisted of simple 2-bone Ik chains, (so IK).

Thanks again everyone! Your feedback gives me reason to continue on with these FX Wars challenges...because it's great! :)

notavailable
07-11-2005, 09:41 AM
nice work "theonlyt"

really love the deformations, animation and the general feel (game cinematic isn't bad, it's just different)

we are all waiting on a detailed tutorial from u...

although i think i figured it out, want to make it work with clothfx (clothextensions)
cos they are more stable and can handle more geometry

anyways great really great work

bRuNuShky
07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Grean Animation and congratulations....

Well what can I say that you dont have allready hear in this days... ;) .... Well done ...and I will wait to see this tutorial ...

collingtech
07-12-2005, 04:43 AM
could you please give some explanation about the deformation ?? what aproach you used to do the crash??, its morphed?? how?? used rb??
thanks

azloha
07-12-2005, 05:09 AM
u really use the 2.8G cpu and 1G ram? why doesnt it look not laggy. how is ur rendering time?

ivanisavich
07-12-2005, 02:36 PM
My rigid body deformation tutorial is now online! You can find it here:

http://theonlyt.com/Main/Tutorials/Dynamics1/rbdynamics.htm

As for render times, it was about 30 seconds/frame overall...oh...and believe me azloha...it was incredibly laggy! ;) hehe

Hope the tutorial helps!

Skyros
07-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Great Tutorial, thanks Tyson!

Buga
07-13-2005, 01:33 AM
Sweet Tute, thx
Having a problem with the initial cloth animation, it keeps bouncing from the plane and flying off. The animation calculation times are insane, guess I just hvae to keep playing with it

ivanisavich
07-13-2005, 02:12 AM
Hey everyone,

Just so people are aware...I've had to take the actual crash animations off my site temporarily, due to the fact that in the last 9 days I've exceeded 140Gigs of bandwidth transfer! (I've only got 127 in my quota). Hopefully my actual site won't go down (so you'll still have access to the tutorial) because I'm currently in the process of paying for some extra bandwidth to make up for the difference...but the crash animations won't be back up until August.

Thanks again!

Julez4001
07-13-2005, 02:33 AM
hey Ask Cgtalk if they can host the video (and tutorial) for you.
Until you get the bandwidth back the way you need it.

ivanisavich
07-13-2005, 02:45 AM
I should be fine with the tutorial...but if someone wants to mirror the anims that would be cool :) ...then again....no worries since most people have seen it already.

azloha
07-13-2005, 09:02 AM
oh jesus, u should approach a company to make a video tutorials going to be sold on the market.

i am serious....:bounce:

WHEEEEEE need more~!!

Buga
07-13-2005, 08:21 PM
I can host your videos, I have unlimited transfer and space.

I figured out the tute. I used a soft body instead of the cloth modifier tho, turned out similar.
Video can be found here: http://creanimation.net/personal/p51/teapot.avi

Contact me if you want web space for the videos http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
http://www.creanimation.net

anirudha
07-14-2005, 07:52 AM
hey ivanisavich,
seen ur beast movie,
amazing work...
well done it was recently published in leading
tech mag of india called DIGIT..

Buga
07-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Ok, the mirrors are up:
http://creanimation.net/theonlyt/ivan_crash1.avi
http://creanimation.net/theonlyt/ivan_crash1.mov

ivanisavich
07-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks buga! I appreciate it! :)

Rival2000
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Great work, excellent congratulations but render may be better.

mustan9
07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
THANK YOU!

That's a cool tutorial!

kobeone
09-24-2005, 10:03 PM
OMG, This is freaking marvellous. :drool::applause: This is some A+++ work. The whole time i was looking at the screen like :eek:. Any other tutorial planned based off this animation?

ivanisavich
09-24-2005, 10:55 PM
No...not at this point...

Time to move onto bigger and better if you know what I'm sayin ;)

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Great work...

The voting thread will go up this Friday, so if you wish to tweak the entry you have until then.

-R

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.