PDA

View Full Version : traditional art and collge stuff

amamus
05-29-2005, 01:34 AM
I was just wanted to know if there were alot of you guys doing computer graphics and on the side do things like painting and scultping, and try to get in galleries and stuff.

Also since i don't really want to make two post at once, and since it's sorta related. If i want to do computer graphics as a profession and at the same time try and make it as a painter; would it be better to art major in illustration, animation, fine art, or something else?

thanks

Lunatique
05-30-2005, 04:37 AM
fActually, there are a lot of people in your shoes. I know many artists working in entertainment as concept artist, matte painters, art directors..etc that paint fine art in their freetime and deal with galleries (I'm one of them, except I'm on a sabbatical to concentrate on my own stuff right now).

I think what you should do is learn both. The fact is, neither CG or painting requires schooling--there are plenty of successful and respected artists in both areas that didn't go to art school and are self-taught. But, if you are going to go to school, make sure you take classes in stuff that would be harder on your own to learn. As a CG student, you get discounts on software, and you can use school's computers for rendering time. At the same time, as a painting student, you can have access to life models.

You need to think carefully about which one would be harder to learn on your own. Remember, you could always minor in something or double major.

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2005, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.