PDA

View Full Version : most effective avi compression?

JasonA
10-14-2002, 04:29 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me.. . I'm trying to figure out the best settings using the DivX 5 codec to get the best compression I can with good quality video. I'm seeing so many animations at 640x480 that are like a minute long, and are still only like 7 MB in size, how on earth is this done? I've fiddled with the codec settings over and over, and I can't even get half the quality at double the file size!

Canc someone give me the skinny on how do dial in these settings?

Zeppeliner
10-20-2002, 12:52 PM
I would think that the problem is that you're only doing a 1-pass, CBR. Try doing a 2-pass vbr instead, this will save bitrate for when it's actually needed (heavy movement) and reduce the use of it in scenes with little motion, static background for instance.

DannyB
11-11-2002, 02:22 PM
I have had great success with this codec, what are you ouputting from?

Poulpi
11-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Hey Danny,

Do you use Sorenson with discreet Media Cleaner ?

arthur
11-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Yup, I find discreet cleaner very effective, although Sorensen does seem to kill the low tones somewhat. If you want to check out one I prepared earlier go to:

http://www.spiderthemovie.com/trailerlo.html

there are some artifacts I must admit but for a 1min 40 trailer at 5.2 megs I think it works,

djwalsh1979
07-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi.

I do quite a bit of work with Daktronics boards and other "odd-format" video boards. I'm currently working on a project where a 640x624 animation is converted to an 8320x48 display. I've been trying to find a decent compression method for .avi files. I tried DivX... the anims look good... but still aren't small enough (e.g. 5 min AE animation = 1.8GB). Is there another codec that I should consider for a WindowsXP platform??

Any help is appreciated.

Daniel

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2005, 07:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.