PDA

View Full Version : Move parent without children ?

SpikeWorx
05-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Is it possible in Messiah to move or rotate the parent without affecting the child items position or rotation?
I want to adjust some parents in setup mode but the child items should stay in place.
I know I can temporarily unparent the children and parent it later.
Is there an easier method ?

vrkaya
05-31-2005, 03:57 AM
Can you give some more specifics on your problem?

My assumption is that you've got a bunch of children under this object and you don't want to reposition all of them.

I *don't believe you can move the parent without affecting the children, but I'm sure there are some creative ways to get around that, if you could make your problem a bit more clear.

Regards, Ron

SpikeWorx
05-31-2005, 06:02 AM
:) Not excactly a problem.
Right now I use Keep Position and Keep Alignment parent Functions.
1. A is parent of B and C
2. unparent B and C with the above funtions checked
3. Move A to the desired position
4. Parent B and C again.

It works, but could be easier with a Compensate Mode.
XSI offers a function called Child Transform Compensation.
You just need to check the function button, then you can move the parent without affecting the child transformation. The children keep their reference to the parent and itīs faster.
@PMG
Hey, thatīs a good feature. hint, hint :D

ftaswin
05-31-2005, 07:33 AM
I saw the title, went in and read the thread..............

Pfffffffffff.... Thank God... I thought someone is getting divorce!!!

DMack
05-31-2005, 08:29 AM
ftaswin, LOL :applause:

vrkaya
05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
I see. Messiah doesn't have anything like that, that I know of, but it would be a handy feature.

Why don't you email pmG with a link to this post? You just never know :)

Ron

SpikeWorx
05-31-2005, 07:11 PM
@ftaswin :D

@vrkaya
Thanks, I will do :)

Leebre
05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Oddly enough, this sounds like the inverse of the script I'm currently working on, "dynamic parent in place". The goal of the script is to allow someone to dynamically parent and unparent one object to another. I wonder how hard it would be to write a "dynamic_make_orphan" script? I'll have to play around with that as well.

maks
05-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Hmm, as I understand it, this would be a bit different in usage than a dynapip script or the like - I think we'd need a button that we can check, wich basically reverse calculates the parent's transformation and applies it to the child in real time, as long as this button is checked. So this would require a plugin which has an interface that lets you turn this on or off. Or am I missing the point here...?

Sil3
05-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Hmm, as I understand it, this would be a bit different in usage than a dynapip script or the like - I think we'd need a button that we can check, wich basically reverse calculates the parent's transformation and applies it to the child in real time, as long as this button is checked. So this would require a plugin which has an interface that lets you turn this on or off. Or am I missing the point here...?

This is just like XSI has it, it would be great if PMG made this into Messiah, yeah with a button to press On or Off :)

ThomasHelzle
06-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Cinema 4D also had that when I was using Versions 4, 5 + 6 years ago - extremely handy. You just had to press STRG while dragging the parent to leave the children in place.

This together with a Parent In Place that works in realtime instead of the current tedious implementation would make for a very nice package. :)

I also still dream of a realtime modify for bones that works on rotations, not only on translation - I often need to change rotations when switching meshes...

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2005, 12:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.