PDA

View Full Version : help with renderer for m 2.2

TIMMYLYNN
05-28-2005, 02:26 PM
hi
i got a little animation going and now i can't get the output...could someone please give me a quick explanation...in renderer tab i chose radiance and it would not change to animation until i checked a digits box...what is that??? 00 000 0000....then it appears to have produced all the hdri files in a temp file.....anyway it rendered out beautifully in the viewport...then i went to play and i could not do anything...messed with that for a while...then i finally got output in divx format but no textures or lites and all the controls are showing????

any help appreciated.....

thanks

ThomasHelzle
05-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you are doing.

You can only render out image sequences from messiah, no AVIs or Quicktimes. Those sequences are numbered, therefore you have to tell messiah how many digits you need.

I would rather use TGA or TIFF images.

The play tab is only to save out OpenGL previews, this is no rendering, just what you see in the viewport. This is meant for showing work in progress to customers or directors but not for any final use.

Was that what you are looking for?

Cheers,

biliousfrog
05-31-2005, 12:14 PM
You can't export avi's or quicktime!:eek:

I haven't got as far as outputting any animation yet but that's really bad. I always do finals as image sequences but for tests I usually do a sorenson quicktime because the quality is good & it can be scrubbed through to check for errors. Comping together image sequences & re-rendering in after effects etc is an extra step that really should not be needed, especially in a "pro" app like Messiah. When (more likely to be "if") I get round to making animations with messiah I'll want to do plenty of test renders to check that everythings ok....I think that saving off hundreds of large Tif files, comping into a movie file & previewing each time is going to become extremely tedious.

dobermunk
05-31-2005, 02:26 PM
You can render out preview avis, with sound. Very handy for sign-offs and animation tests.

Just wanted to clarify this.

maks
05-31-2005, 02:34 PM
From my own experience in different productions and companies I can say that I/we never directly render to avis or movs (in apps that do so, like LW), even for tests. You always risk to loose your movie if the app crashes during the rendering process, and usually you also don't render the whole movie for tests, but rather certain frames. And if you want to look at the animation without having to comp first, you can run through the frames in an app like ACDSee or XnView.

biliousfrog
05-31-2005, 06:14 PM
I normally test for how textures & geometry are working rather than the animation itself, for example sometimes if a texture has too much detail in it it will cause flickering, sometimes a complex mesh will split during deformation, particles might not be rendering as desired......I'm not talking about hours of footage but rather 10-20 seconds. If you just render frames for every test you're soon gonna fill a large hard drive with garbage whereas i single avi, or better mov, will only be a couple of mb each max.
If I'm working on an animated project & I go to make a cuppa I'll start a preview & watch it before starting work again, I don't intend on keeping it, I just want to see how everything's coming together & make some notes.

I've tried to use acdsee & other image viewers but they're purley image viewers that can play a slideshow. If you're gonna go through the trouble of outputting an animation test surely you'd want it played back at the correct frame rate?

AAAron
05-31-2005, 08:22 PM
My tips for seqs. in the workflow. (with are all we use at my work to)

Use folders, new folder for every new seq. that way they are easy to manage.

If you want to save space (when rendering previews) render jpg seqs. I never do this my self, but itīs a way of minimizing file size.

If you are going to do a lot of quick changes. Leave After effects open (if you got ram enough), render over your old seq. and use the reload footage command. Make a render template for previews for quick output to, for example clients.

Sil3
05-31-2005, 09:30 PM
I've tried to use acdsee & other image viewers but they're purley image viewers that can play a slideshow. If you're gonna go through the trouble of outputting an animation test surely you'd want it played back at the correct frame rate?

In After Effects simply do a RAM preview and there ya go with the full fps rate, takes seconds :)

AlexK
06-01-2005, 06:33 AM
The one and only thing you ever need for image sequence playback is Iridas Framecycler. That app rocks and has so many usefull features, like playback using several passes and comp them in realtime - while playing back your image sequence - or viewing different channel combinations. Try it. :thumbsup:
As for rendering avi's I have to concede to what was said before. It is basically a choice I have given up a long time ago (basically when I started in real life production), because it just isn't flexible enough. The rendering might crash (and even for 20 seconds you got 500 frames to re-render instead of let's say 50), the codec acts weird, you want to do a quick comp test (which is nearly impossible if you use a interframe codec like mpg or divx). All that happened to me before and teached me to use single frames whenever possible. And the space is of no really big concern, is it? I mean, render JPG's with a quality of 60 or something like that into a special folder that you clean-up every, let's say, two days automatically via batch or cron or something and you have no problems at all.
Hope that helps.

maks
06-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Right, Framecycler - forgot about that, great app! :thumbsup:

Gene Williams
06-02-2005, 01:36 AM
FrameCycler is absolutely the best but for about $29 you
can get QuickTime Pro and load sequences...it's pretty
fast and gives you some more options of course.

Gene

JoeCosman
06-02-2005, 04:20 PM
dont forget the diehard 'add image sequence to a plane and quick preview render" folks :-)

maks
06-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately image sequences (still) won't play as textures :/ But you can still use them as camera background :)

AAAron
06-02-2005, 05:38 PM
You mean while doing previews?

maks
06-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Well, if I load the sequence into the image manager and check "Image Sequence", then apply the sequence to a texture node, it won't play back the sequence in OGL, or when I render it. When applied as a background image it does play back.

AAAron
06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
I got it to work when I rendered it, using a texture map node. But I donīt remember if it was 2.1 or 2.2. Think it was a tga seq from Afx.

maks
06-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Hmm, strange, it doesn't work here at least since 2.1... Working for anyone else here? Definately worth for pmG to check this.

AAAron
06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Just tested it works for me (2.2), but not with open GL or previews. Just when rendering. When I tested to removed a image from my texture node, it lost the setup in play. So I had to redo that to get it to work.

biliousfrog
06-02-2005, 09:21 PM
sorry to appear really ignorant but I've had no time at all to explore messiah....

Can you use video files as textures or just image sequences?

AAAron
06-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Just image seqs I think..

maks
06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Just tested it works for me (2.2), but not with open GL or previews. Just when rendering. When I tested to removed a image from my texture node, it lost the setup in play. So I had to redo that to get it to work.

You're right, just tested it again, and it works when rendering, but not in OGL. Sorry for the confusion :) Still, would be nice to have it work in OGL (Lyle?) ;)

AAAron
06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Still, would be nice to have it work in OGL

It sure would, even static textures looks weird using OGL on my can, but that could be my graphicscard..

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.