PDA

View Full Version : is lw adequate for character animation or motionbuilder a big plus

thiaml
05-28-2005, 12:53 AM
hi there,

i'm a total novice when comes to character animation. can i ask does anyone with character animation experience feel that lw is still adequate to do character stuffs? i mean pretty simple stuffs (just personal project tests) or a program like motionbuilder is still light years ahead of lw. what do people who uses lw think of motionbuilder 6? is it still relevant for lw users?

the problem i'm having is mainly in the area of character rigging as i can't still do a good rig without arms popping in weird places. also i find that the nulls i created for ik, i find that it can be hard to pose a figure with them. it's probably my lack of experience, i think.

can i also ask is that a lw problem or you get that with other software as well.

T4D
05-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Lightwave is used for ALOT of character animation
It's got all the tools you need So your problem is Rigging not Animating in LW

Check out one of my demo rigs, Pull it apart and see how it works http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=74940#post74940

OR Buy one of Jonny Gordons books

Check out some Lightwave rigging tutorials

Rigging is a job to learn in LW but it can be done

Just keep the Ik simple and flexable
Once you see how simple A good rig works
It'll help you understand what you need in your rigs

PixelInfected
05-28-2005, 05:53 PM
t4d is right, lw is ok for character animation, have all tools to do very fine work.
good work and happy animation

Larrikin
05-29-2005, 03:41 AM
I always animate in Motion Builder because it's incredibly fast and easy for character animation. It's a hassel importing and exporting between Lightwave and MB but you'll still save huge amounts of time. Try the Motion Builder demo and see for yourself.

thiaml
05-29-2005, 03:59 AM
I always animate in Motion Builder because it's incredibly fast and easy for character animation. It's a hassel importing and exporting between Lightwave and MB but you'll still save huge amounts of time. Try the Motion Builder demo and see for yourself.

can i ask how compatible is it with lw 8. since alias has taken over motionbuilder, is it still worth it since alias might gear motionbuilder towards their own product like maya.

also, is it better to create a rig for a character within motionbuilder or easier to create the rig in lw and export that across to motionbuilder. i have tried that way a few years ago but wasn't that keen on learning the app. but recently i have tried to animate in lw and found the rigging process to be a pain and have tried the link td4 sent me, but found it to be slow on my old pc even turn off the open gl display.

are there any good tutorials for motion builder out there?

PixelInfected
05-29-2005, 09:21 AM
setup a rig in lw without autorig plugins is not pain, no more than in other software, i think you must know the basic of application and basic of rigging, if you have a basic knowledge of that, rigging is simple and flexible like in other application.

yog
05-29-2005, 03:00 PM
If you are novice to character animation, then I would recommend sticking with LW.
Most of what's involved in learning character animation is to do with timing and getting accross emotion, and you can just as easily learn that in LW as anywhere else.

Although LW hasn't got the character feedback speed of a number of other apps, there are work arounds like hiding the main mesh and parenting proxie pieces to the bones,.

Larrikin
05-30-2005, 03:53 AM
can i ask how compatible is it with lw 8.
The new .FBX introduced in MB6 doesn't work smoothly when exporting from LW(any version) to MB6.

also, is it better to create a rig for a character within motionbuilder or easier to create the rig in lw and export that across to motionbuilder.
I think it's better to do as much as possible in LW using the MB naming conventions for bones then when you export to MB you don't have to do much more than press 'characterize' and you're ready to animate.

are there any good tutorials for motion builder out there?
Alias.com and 3DBuzz.com

skritter
05-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Larrikin, I'm assuming you have MB6. What are the differences between .fbx for 5 and .fbx for 6 in work flow etc.
I own MB5.5 and have been thinking of upgrading to MB6. I have herd suggestion 6 is somewhat less LW friendly, but it would be nice to have a bit more specifics on the matter.

Could you or others with specific knowledge talk about LW & MB5 verses LW & MB6.
i.e. workflow issues etc,
review between MB5 and MB6,
discussion of weather it is or is not a good idea to upgrade from MB5 to MB6 in a Lightwave pipeline, and the whys and wherefores of such decision.

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2005, 03:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.