PDA

View Full Version : My first ultra large scene

ArtGuyJoe
05-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Hello everyone. Joe here, wanting to show a WIP. This one is in the billions and is starting to kill my PC (P4 3.2ghz, 1 gig RAM, nVidia Quadro FX 3400 PCI Xpress), but I really want this scene and it is REALLY starting to come together. Obviously, the city houses are an Ecosystem that uses a distribution map for their placement.

http://www.ageoflegends.net/ashaman/images/caemlynupdatecity.jpg

There will be a wall surrounding the city, then an inner wall surrounding the castle grounds. The only issue I am having is actually working with the file. I literally have to wait a good 20 seconds from the time I move a model to the time it ACTUALLY moves.

Could this be from having too high of a poly count for the castle and the surrounding walls and gates?

Thanks in advance.

Wabe
05-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Wow, looks VERY promising.

Some tricks i use to do huge scenes - on a 1 GB Ram old Mac G4.

#1 i switch all windows beside the camera view to wireframe mode.

#2 i switch off the automatic scene preview - that is in the preferences.

#3 all that is finished i either switch to wireframe box mode or even put it into an invisible layer. To make it disappear for scene setting. The wireframe box trick does not work properly for Ecosystems - when i remember it right. The difficulty of treating that as a material. So you only see the underlying object as box, not the rest.

Invid
05-28-2005, 12:15 AM
For the scene itself the wall scale is far larger than the housing scale. You should scale the walls down so everything fits together.

Kevin Sanderson
05-28-2005, 12:28 PM
On first glance, the houses looked like rocks to me. I agree that you just might want to scale down the wall, etc.

Kevin

swampthing
05-28-2005, 07:29 PM
The wall and towers are WAY WAY WAY WAY out of scale.

Look at the arrow slits on the towers, they are as big as one of your houses when in reality they were maybe 2 ft tall.

Wabe
05-28-2005, 08:42 PM
I see these obvious differences as creative concept. One reason why i liked this wip from the first moment on. Why does it have to be always correct?

Let's see how this project goes on!

Rids
05-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Well with properly scaled houses the total number could be considerably less which would not only make the scene run easier on the PC but would also look more realistic.

ArtGuyJoe
06-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Just so everyone knows, the scale of the wall and drum towers is supposed to be dispraportionate. It is from a fantasy series I have been reading since the early nineties. I plan on taking out the slits in the towers. The walls are massive compared to the town. The inner walls will be normal size.

I actually figured out what was causing the the issue of my distro map not lining up. The map is not a perfect square. It is a rectangle. When put on as an underlying texture, it is stretched to fit a perfect square. I went ahead and added more room to the sides and saved it as a square BMP. It now fits perfectly and I can tell where I have made mistakes.

One question: for the surrounding forests, I should be using a second layer, correct?

Wabe
06-10-2005, 06:23 AM
One question: for the surrounding forests, I should be using a second layer, correct?

Correct. Maybe you mean a separate Ecosystem as well. Yes, i would do a new ecosystem and a new layer (lawyer maybe comes later). Gives you more flexibility. Even to switch elements off when the scene becomes bigger. Then display is faster - when you make layers invisible you don't actually need.

ArtGuyJoe
06-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Thank you Wabe. I will make sure to post on Monday with a new WIP.

LuciaK
06-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Especially when working with Ecosystems, I put everything in separate layers, even if it's a small plane with a small Ecosystem in it. Then you can turn layers off, render just active layers like the one you are working on, and navigation seems to improve for me.

n_e_gma
06-26-2005, 01:58 PM
I posted this same question as its own topic but nobody seems to have an answer, so ill ask you guys here....

How can i render diferent parts of the scene separate to reduce render time and compose it all togheter in post?

Like if i wanted to render ArtGuyJoe's scene in 3 passes:

1 Walls only.
2 castle only.
3 houses only.

and the compose the final image in post.

The problem im facing is getting the proper oclusion mask on each pass for compositing the renders together.

I tried the Groups option but it only renders the proper oclusion mask for each group if i do the render in one pass (all the elementes in one go, which is what im trying to avoid to speed up render time)

BernieS
06-27-2005, 06:37 AM
If I understand correctly, you want to render only some elements and exclude others?

If you are using V5I (don't know about the others) simply right-click on the element you don't want to render and click on "hide from render".

Regards,

Bernie

n_e_gma
06-27-2005, 09:37 PM
yes Lord Wexford, thats what i need to do: "render only some elements and exclude others"

but then i want to render the excluded one alone. The thing is i dont get the proper "alpha" i need to compose the 2 elements back together. The alpha i get is the whole object alpha and i need the alpha to have the ocluded part (the part where one object intersects the other).

Wabe
06-28-2005, 07:41 AM
I think i repeat myself. Put the elements on separate levels and render only the active layers for example. Or use Multipass - there you can select all sort of masks, render elements etc. It needs a little playing maybe but it should work. Oh AND, you render directly to Photoshop psd as well - makes it a little more simple.

n_e_gma
06-28-2005, 10:17 PM
I think i repeat myself. Put the elements on separate levels and render only the active layers for example. Or use Multipass - there you can select all sort of masks, render elements etc. It needs a little playing maybe but it should work. Oh AND, you render directly to Photoshop psd as well - makes it a little more simple.

I know what you mean Wabe, but like i said from the very begining, the problem im having is with the alpha i get when i render each object alone.

Wabe
06-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Maybe i don't understand correctly but i did a little test today with Multipass on and got what i try to attach as a screenshot here.

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2005, 07:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.