PDA

View Full Version : A little help making terrians seem grander?

patrickkrebs
05-27-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm new to Vue and I love it. But I'm having trouble with perspective. Can someone tell me how to get the terrians to be grander. This is hard to explain but I make a few terrians and populate them and they always turn out looking small. How do I make an island look like an actual island instead of a lumpy thing with some trees. Any ideas.

http://www.pbgy.com/test.jpg

Wabe
05-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Is there a problem with scaling up? You simply scale the terrains by pulling on one corner - or numerically in the scale window (upper right, numeric tab).

You maybe then must increase the resolution of the terrain to make it not look pixelated, but that is easy too. Double-click onto the terrain and in the terrain editor you have the button x2 for that.

You haven't said what version you have. If it is 5 and higher you can switch to procedural terrains as well - instead of increasing the resolution.

<Pino>
05-27-2005, 02:07 PM
...you can also scale your plants

Wabe
05-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Yes, you can do that to of course - to scale down the plants.

But my experience is that if you work in a too small scale you can run into several problems - like light adjustment to name only one.

<Pino>
05-27-2005, 02:36 PM
you are right wabe, especially when the plan ist to do animation with the camera, then there are problems with scale only the plants... this is also because in vue the camera dont can be scaled...

patrickkrebs
05-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks. I've thought about your suggestions. I'll have to play around with the scaling of plants I'll post some of the results this weekend.

BernieS
05-28-2005, 06:07 AM
You could also try adding another element to indicate scale - say one or two figures, maybe a boat at the beach.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2005, 06:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.