PDA

View Full Version : Partitions and organization.

JazzyAnimator
05-27-2005, 03:17 AM
Alright, maybe someone can help me get a permanent organized set up when my new hard drive comes in. Here's the scoop.

I typically do an entire system wipe after every quarter, so about every 3 months. Problem is I have to reinstall ALL the software and get everything back to speed. So i'm getting a new 120gb hard drive to complement the 80 gig now (it's nearly full). So I'm trying to think of a setup where I can still wipe my system but not have the hassle of a mass reinstall. Now I know I can just simple install everything on another volume, but when I wipe the registry keys go bye bye. I could also dual boot, but for some reason that seems to defeat the purpose. So, any ideas or I'm just stuck doing mass installs everytime?

mojoman
05-27-2005, 05:53 AM
Image the drive....I beleive NORTON GHOST is a product that can do this for you.

I'm sure there are others out there. Of course this is assuming you will have the same CPU and motherboard etc.

maninflash
05-27-2005, 07:01 AM
I'm not exactly sure WHY you do a cross-drive wipe every three months, but here are some suggestions to keep the hard drives clean and without issues,

Install your OS and all your softwares on one drive
Use the other (and larger) drive for storing files, images and everything else, all the way to backup.

Drive one:

For your OS, assuming it's WIN XP, give it a 10GB partition, install nothing else on it except for drivers.

Install all your softwares in another partition, don't let them install themselves in the Program Files directory in C. Change the Temp folder from its original location on C to this partition (you can do this by right clicking on the my computer icon > properties > advanced > Environment variables. the reason for this, obviously, is that every software uses the Temp directory to write and read files, sometimes these files get really big, specialy when working with photoshop, after effects, maya, etc. so it gets full, making your OS partition performance slow which also afects the performance of your desktop.

also in the same window, under performance > setting > advanced > virtual memory. change the partition of the virtual memory from C to some other, the ideal for this would be to create a seperate partition, size=5GB and leave it free only for Win to use as virtual memory, again, this will leave your OS partition free of unwanted load during heavy tasks.

Drive two:

Make it two or three partitions, save files, images and virtualy everything that's not directly related to a software or OS here, format them all using NTFS, it's a bit faster and allows for indexing which lets your OS finds specific files faster and easier. In fact, make all your partitions NTFS.

backup regulary (better on DVD, okay on CD) and clean the files on your hard drive.

Use Norton Registry check to clean Windos registry every two or three weeks

don't install every software you own on your system, it all makes it slow, only install what you need.

during windos xp install, don't let it install everything, go to custom mode, uncheck services you wouldnt need or use.

after win installation, run msconfig from the run command in start menu and uncheck things that you dont need from the Services and startup tabs. this will free some memory.

imashination
05-27-2005, 10:04 AM
I typically do an entire system wipe after every quarter, so about every 3 months.

Why? What are you doing to it that it needs formatting every few months? Your system should go for years without a format.

JazzyAnimator
05-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys.

The reason for the system wipe was my system got slow. I used to do a lot of install, uninstalls. Not so much anymore, but it's just become habit. :-/ I'm slowing climbing out of that as I have a more routine set of software I use. (Because of school, I always had to use a different batch of software every quarter.) I got paranoid after a hard drive crash & failure a couple years ago.

Anyhow, I think mainflash is onto something here. I sort of have that setup now, except all my partitions are on the same logical drive. I can't see myself ghosting it, not now anyhow.

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2005, 08:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.