PDA

View Full Version : Help Rigging low poly model for a sub-d Character:: Maya

KingMob
10-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Hey guys, I have a model I want to animate, but I am new to it and very frightened hehe.

What I want to do is rig a low Polygon model, which will animate the Sub-d Version of the same model...is this possible. I have read about binding to the Poly Proxy, but I seem to think there is a better way.

Any help would be VERY appreciated. Up untill this point I have modeled a few things, ut done very little with rigging/aniamtion.

thanks in advance

fortner
10-14-2002, 05:21 AM
i'm actually working on something like that right now, but i'm having particles run my Sub-D. I made my proxy mesh a soft body, then wrapped my Sub-D.

-dc-
10-14-2002, 05:38 AM
Well a very easy way to do this would be with visibility layers.
Make sure that you use the same skeleton to bind both the proxy and the subD models, then make a layer for each one's geo. Simply turn off the vis of the subD when animating, and then turn off the Poly Proxy and turn on the SubD for rendering.:thumbsup:

Regards,

Joe

KingMob
10-14-2002, 03:08 PM
sounds good to me...thats what I will do.

Does maya still have to calculate the geom for the sub d while I animate, or since it does not show will it be much faster?

fortner
10-14-2002, 03:33 PM
ya....tons faster. Either way you do it

io,
10-14-2002, 05:54 PM
or show poligonds/ show subdiv surfaces

KingMob
10-14-2002, 08:51 PM
it's sooo slow! just weighting this thing takes a few secodns to allow me to go again.

I have a decent machine, a 1.8 ghz with 512 ram and a 64 meg geforce 4...moving the skeleton is crazy slow to...what am I doing wrong?

I have the sub-d layer hidden on a seperate layer also.

please help me!! this is unbearable

-dc-
10-14-2002, 10:40 PM
Assuming you are just talking about when you're binding the Poly Proxy mesh, then you've got problems...Make sure you deleted your history on the mesh BEFORE you bound to the skeleton. Also, DO NOT USE PAINT WEIGHTS TOOL for the entire weighting process.

You should be able to get good deformations using the Component Editor first, THEN use the paint weights tool to tweak out the deformations. Also, don't work in level3 smoothness with the SubD and try to move the skeleton, that'll slow you down bigtime. Weight in wireframe, using the proxy mesh, hide the SubD, and check your history. Hope this helps.. :)

Regards,

Joe

KingMob
10-15-2002, 12:23 AM
should I delete the history, AFTER i make a poly proxy mesh or before...i jsut did that...doesn;t seem to much faster, and binding is fine, its just when I move the skel its sloooooooow and when I edit membership it pops up fast, but when I add membership it's sloooooow. strange eh?

KingMob
10-15-2002, 12:42 AM
ok word to the wise, do a search on this stuff before posting...I was wording my question wrong...here is what fixed my problem hopefully RYGUY does not mind me posting it..

THIS IS RYGUYS INFO from another thread but I thought it might help someone else

ALSO make sure oy save it as a new file, then reload it...this works woohoo!

Try deleting the blind data nodes in the hypergraph:

Go into Poly proxy mode, fire up the hypergraph. In the HG, go into View - > Show up and downstream connections. You should see some or a crapload of BlindData nodes. Delete them. If there is still some slowdown, go back into Standard mode and do the same for the SubD surface.

I've actually imported 11 characters into a scene and these characters are subD's, all have blendshapes, textures, and are all rigged. Of course I had each character on a layer but it wasn't so slow I couldn't work in it. I only had problems when I had hardware texturing on. Of course, before I bought any of the characters in, I deleted any un-needed history and blindData nodes.

I've included a screenshot. Takes about 30 seconds to load (when only Maya is running). But once the scene loads, it seems to be fine, however I do have a decent video card.

Try deleting the blindData nodes. Then re-save into another file. Then try navigating around the scene, you should have improved performance.

Hope this helps you on your way.

~Ryan

anthonymcgrath
10-16-2002, 01:47 PM
I'm using a setup like this on my current animation I'm working on. It uses a low poly mesh to influence a subD mesh using the wrap deformer. I binded the polymesh to my skeleton and used the poly mesh as a wrap deformer on the subD which gave great results and is cool cos I have a low poly test model to animate with and can simply switch to the subD model at rendertime by putting on in a seperate layer. If you give me yer email I can supply you with a maya file?

Peace455
10-29-2002, 06:19 PM
Hello

I was reading this post, and I saw -dc- mention something about getting decent deformation (with smooth binding) by editing in the component editor.

How is this done, I've never heard of doing such a thing, and am curious and would speed up my Editing of weights with my SMooth Binded charater.

thanks

Peace455

anthonymcgrath
10-29-2002, 06:27 PM
The component editor is used generally if you have a rogue vertice that you may have missed when skinning. I personally use paintweights more often than not as its by far the most intuitive way of editing the weighting. Use the component for exactly that - component editing not trying to weight hundreds of verts at a time!
Anyway, it can be found under Window/General editors/component editor (I think!!!) :shrug:

KingMob
10-29-2002, 06:28 PM
well, the only way I know is to hunker down and go to component editor, and grab groups and **** around for a bunch of hours...so I would love to hear a quick way to...also you could paint weights.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.