PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive

cJaynes
05-26-2005, 06:21 PM
So I have been looking around at and external Hard drive to use to go back and forth from my desktop tp laptop because I am running out of space quickly. Im going to be using it to keep my ghost back ups and projects to go back and forth from the two computers. And trying to start a texture/photo/video library. I've looked at the other forums about external HD's and looking to see if anyone else has some more suggestions suggestions.

I was looking at the LaCie hard drives and they seem nice... looking at the 500 gig external hd just becuase that is soo big ( not a TB but still)

Or is any one using the Maxtor The 300 GB 7200 RPM OneTouch II FireWire/iLINK/1394 and USB
which has alot of nice features and still has alot of space and 16 mbs of cache...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

XenaTrek
05-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Recently invested in a 40 GB Firelite for about $100. There are larger ones but cost way more then my wallet can handle at the moment. No problems with it so far.
XenaTrek

Vertizor
05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Just some thoughts:

Considering the capacities you mentioned, those are probably full sized HDs in an enclosure right? I bought an enclosure from Addonics which could house any 5.25" optical drive or a 3.5" hard drive. My biggest gripe is that it requires a cooling fan that is LOUD, and eternal power source.

I also have a 40 GB external firewire mini hard drive that uses a notebook HD. It powers through the FW cable, and all I hear is the subtle spinning of the motors and heads.

The next problem with external hard drives is they'll eat up CPU cycles when trying to sustain large data transfers. It's fast and efficient enough to work with small files and save directly to the drive but set aside some time if you're moving really big files.

cJaynes
05-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Vertizor

Well that's what I was worried about I really just wanted to add another SATA HD to my desktop, but I am interning this summer and would like to take the data with me and my laptop.
A 40 gig would probably be fine for that... but it would be nice to just keep files in a central places

So I have a thought get two removable trays one for my desktop and one for a 5.25 external enclosure so I could just swap back and forth and that way when it was on my desktop it would have better performance then USB 2 or Firewire ( I assumme someone correct me)

Maven
05-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I have a Western Digital 120 GB and a Lacie 320 GB.

My WD has already failed once, enough where it wouldn't boot anymore and the data was unrecoverable. So I sent it back and they replaced it with a refurbished one that has so far lasted longer than the first one. The problems with the WD is that it doesn't have a power button, so it's always on. It is also made with some very cheap plastic enclosure and the trim is falling off it. I also have an issue with it when I disconnect it from the computer then reconnect it. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes not. I have to boot it first without connecting to the computer then wait 10 minutes or so and then plug it in for it to work. Needless to say everything on that drive is backed up to DVD's.

as for the Lacie, I love this drive. It has a high quality metal enclouser, it feels like you could throw it against the wall and it would be fine. (but don't do that). It also has every connection available on the back. USB, 1394a and b and it comes with all of those cables. It also has a power button so it can be powered down when your computer is on. Another nice feature is that when you shut down your computer the drive also shuts down, where the WD is just always on. The Lacie is definitely bigger than the WB but it can be mounted on its side which the WD can not.

So that is my experience with those two drives. The WD may have change since I got mine but probably not that much.

As for noise, well I can't hear either of them over my computer so that really doesn't matter to me.

Vertizor
05-26-2005, 10:34 PM
So I have a thought get two removable trays one for my desktop and one for a 5.25 external enclosure so I could just swap back and forth and that way when it was on my desktop it would have better performance then USB 2 or Firewire ( I assumme someone correct me)
I have not heard of a hard drive that you could quickly switch between it being internal one minute, then external the next. Is that what you mean? I don't think there's such a thing but if there is great! To be best of my knowledge, external drive enclosures have their own mounting kits that are unique to the enclosure so I don't think you can easily swap the HD itself back and forth.

My other suggestion is, if you really need the capacity, it may be better to carry around 2 smaller external HD's. I have a SmartDisk VST mini external HD 40 gigs, its dimensions are about 5" x 3", I can fit it in my shirt pocket. Contrast to the size and weight of a full sized external enclosure plus the power adapter you'd have to carry around, you could easily carry 4 or more of these mini drives to make up for the capacity and still not have to deal with the burden. Most of them can be powered off of the USB 2.0 or FW interface.

And iPod also makes for a good portable hard drive. I have a 10 GB iPod which is smaller than my 40 gb mini HD, so combined I have 50 gigs and it's painless to carry around. Just another thought.

cJaynes
05-26-2005, 10:57 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817121110

Just an example. I was thinking about gettng two of those (the "hot swappable") thingys to put in the 5.25 bay I have in my desktop and getting a external 5.25 enclosre and put one in there.

So I could have one hard drive and swap it from an "internal" hd drive to and external one for my harddrive....

Haha that's really hard to explain...

So get two hot swapable tays
1 into desktop
1 into something similiar to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146174

Samurai Hack
05-27-2005, 01:19 PM
I've heard of the hot swapable enclosures so I'm pretty certain your idea is feasable. After all, I think that is the whole point of that. I've never tried it though. I do happen to have a Maxtor OneTouch 300GB. I keep back ups of my newer laptop on there. The one touch feature is easy to set up and works well as long as you do it overnight. It's possible to keep working while it's backing up but I would rather leave it alone. The enclosure is greeat, it rarely gets loud, has an on/off switch and it looks kinda cool too. Never really noticed any slowing down on it but then again, I may not have paid much attention. I just know it's pretty quick since it is USB 2.0. I got a good deal on it at Bestbuy so I was able to get it for about the price of a 250GB drive. May no longer be what you're looking for but I hope this helps.

cJaynes
05-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey guys thanks for taking time to post... i'm pretty sure im going with one of the Lacie's.... just have to figure out how much money I want to part with

Thanks again!

colintheys
05-27-2005, 05:07 PM
A friend of mine at school was editing a HUGE documentary on DV, so he got an internal bay that allowed hotswapping drives. So he just has a pile of normal, internal IDE drives that he can pop in and out as needed. I have no idea how well it works, but it's an interesting option.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2005, 05:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.