PDA

View Full Version : What about a Mini Challenge ?

<Pino>
05-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Hello Vue user, what you think about a Mini Challenge or a little how I do... thread ? I think it is a good way to improve the skill of the software.

CArwilk
05-27-2005, 12:36 PM
A small challenge is always fun. Perhaps we could team up in pairs, if there is enough interest? I've found it works better for me that way.

Wabe
05-27-2005, 02:46 PM
A team thingie sounds interesting.

Ok, i wonder if there are enough members here to do that, but it is really interesting to think about. Will make the community stronger for sure!

I only wonder if this here is the right place - Vue images does not have a very good reputation really here at CGTalk. My feeling. But of course i could be wrong - maybe only because i got some not so nice comments on my last image and decided not to post here anymore.

Oh, no discussion about that - i am pro enough to deal with that.

CArwilk
05-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Hmm...yes, well...I see your point. Perhaps we could keep it within our ranks - a simple thread in this forum to begin with? If it turns out really well, we could always post it in the gallery and duck.. :D

And if we are too few, say five or less, we could have a little collaborative project. Either way it's a learning experience and we get to know each other a bit better.

Wabe
05-27-2005, 04:01 PM
I totally agree - letīs see what others think.

videodv
05-28-2005, 07:38 AM
This sounds like an interesting idea I'm up for it.

videodv.

boblog
05-28-2005, 01:08 PM
I agree, we need to be stronger and we need a web site for this and an user forum, I think also Vue (e-on) can be much more interresting by them customers....

I like this software and I 'm already to make a contribution to this forum or challenge... it can be on the renderosity pages too....

Don't know ask me ????

Best Regards

Nicolas

paladin6303
05-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Having just aquired this software, I'm still crawling with it, but I'd be up for a challenge as a way to learn more.

<Pino>
05-29-2005, 04:15 PM
... I was waiting some days, to see how the response to this question is. ...there are some people interested doing something, thats great !
What would be the best for a start ?... Are we to few members for a challenging something ? ... would it be cool to set up something together, as goal to do a team callenge or project ?!

Wabe
05-30-2005, 07:18 AM
I prefer the team contest - teams of two for example. Makes people to know each other and is the first time i saw something like this.

I would propose that we collect names and maybe preferences now. What sort of contest and/or in which form. A team effort as one team or several teams.

CArwilk
05-30-2005, 09:47 AM
I also vote for the small-team model. Two or perhaps three people, it's all good.

I would like to field a few questions:
- How much experience with Vue? (not much, in my case)
- Which version of Vue? (Infinite here)
- Should we use objects built with other applications? Perhaps someone has a nice model we could base the theme on? In other words, should we keep it "clean"?

And then there's the theme..

<Pino>
05-30-2005, 10:27 AM
... I am open to what comes out (Team/Single/challenge/collaborative...)
I am a starter with Vue, and for me learning by doing It is a good motivation working stronger and more with vue.

to the questions:
- How much experience with Vue? not much, starter
- Which version of Vue? 5/Infinite
- Should we use objects built with other applications? I think we can, my goal isnt to use vue as first application, I want integrate vue in the workflow (my opinion)

paladin6303
05-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm also open to whatever, team or individual.

experience: one image
vue: infinite
think there should be an external model(s) though, don't see Vue as a stand alone app.

Wabe
05-31-2005, 08:38 AM
Ok, i think i said it already - i find the idea of a team thing fascinating.

Vue version? 5 Studio and Infinite (and 4 Pro, 4)
Experience? A bit - I work with Vue now for three years (I guess) and am beta tester

The idea with a defined bunch of models - free or done by someone here - i think is excellent. I love challenges that have a defined set of options.

<Pino>
05-31-2005, 08:47 AM
... if there would be a team-something, with serious interest I would also model some stuff. I have no experience in Vue, but work experience with other apps...

CArwilk
05-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Sounds good, Pino - if we are enough modelers, we could make something very nice indeed. I might also be interested in modelling stuff (although it is my weakest point). I have Lightwave, XSI, XFrog and Poser.

Any thoughts regarding the theme? I'm thinking fantasy/sci-fi/architectural/animals/horror and so on. Personally, I'm most into the sci-fi or fantasy genre.

videodv
05-31-2005, 02:31 PM
I have been useing vue since version 3, My weakest point is modeling too but I can usually knock up some non organic stuff. I am using cinema 4d v9 with most of the plugins and now have vue infinite, I too do not mind how this is put togther or what the theme is.

videodv.

paladin6303
05-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Seems like we should develop themes in order to draw more people into the fray, then work out teams. When should we begin, what time frame for a deadline?

I've always been fascinated by large orbital colonies (Syd Mead's work on this I think got me interested, and lately, playing halo), seems like no one has done any recent illustrations of this concept.

http://www.belmont.k12.ca.us/ralston/programs/itech/SpaceSettlement/what/what.html

Or maybe something on a smaller scale, maybe designing a home using this method:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,20967,1052051,00.html

then placed in an achitectural rendering.

Just some ideas to get started.

AniMajik
06-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Just ordered V5I, so if the challenge is not too soon, I'll take a shot at it.

- How much experience with Vue?
Played with Vue4, so really a newbee
- Which version of Vue?
Infinite (just ordered)
- Should we use objects built with other applications?
Depends on the theme, but not opposed to it.

Sounds like a great way to dive into this app and get some insight from some of the experts as well.

-AniMajik

Wabe
06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I have the perfect theme for the contest.

Vicky 3 (Poser) with a sword in front of a temple.

That would be fun!!!

AniMajik
06-02-2005, 02:43 AM
I have the perfect theme for the contest.

Vicky 3 (Poser) with a sword in front of a temple.

That would be fun!!!

Like that hasn't been done before. :rolleyes:

I kinda like the "Orbital Colonies" theme mentioned above. Creating your own "Ringworld" seem a natural for Vue. Could call the theme: "Ringworld Engineers"

CArwilk
06-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I think the orbital colony thing sounds interesting, too - lots of stuff to model and a cool concept overall. Paladin's links were inspiring (love those illustrations from the 50-60's), as are the pictures in the Grand Space Opera Challenge.

(I am waiting for Rendezvous with Rama to be finished; this might dampen my shakes :D)

paladin6303
06-02-2005, 07:15 PM
this may or may not be realted to what we're trying to do, another idea /contest though...

http://www.cgarchitect.com/3dawards/

Al

DigReal
06-08-2005, 02:23 AM
What happened to this idea? Is it still alive? If so, I'd like to join in.

For themes, I like the idea of orbiting colonies... or islands in the sky.

I'm an old time Xfrogger, and folks seem to like my Poser work. Been Vuein since V3 and think something like this would help a lot with learning V5I.

CArwilk
06-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. I think we may need someone to take the lead on this or it'll fizzle.

paladin6303
06-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Looks like most people have liked the idea of the orbital colony/habitat so lets just go with that this time around. I've begun to spread the word on this so hopefully we'll have more people joining in.

How does a 30 day challenge sound (June 13-July 4), seeing as how many of us(?) are new vue users?

videodv
06-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to it, just let me know what part I can be of help and I am ready to go.

Videodv.

<Pino>
06-10-2005, 10:42 AM
I am also ready to start... Did we build teams ?

<Pino>
06-10-2005, 08:46 PM
... what about this topic http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=248547

DigReal
06-11-2005, 01:01 AM
So far, it doesn't seem to me like we have enough interest for teams. Maybe just one group effort? I mean, designing and building a colony is quite a challenge. Besides, Wabe, videodv and I are the only ones in this post with much Vue experience, so we should be on seperate teams... yet I'd really like to work with them because I know I can learn from them.

To be more specific about where I can contribute; I have a strong architectural background (and know a little about engineering), but I'm only a fair designer. If someone wants to take the lead on designing the colony, I can certainly help with critiquing and suggesting alternatives where problems arise.

I'm also up on space travel. :)

For modeling, I mostly use Autocad and Xfrog, but also have C4d v8.5. I'm very weak with texture creation, but do have some knowledge of lighting and material properties.

videodv
06-12-2005, 08:34 AM
This is just a quick 5 minute put together for an idea only, it needs massive amounts of work but as we are going to be useing vue maybe something along this line - we can populate the domes with trees bushes ect!.

http://www.videodvdownloads.co.uk/downloads/vp1.jpg

vodedv.

DigReal
06-13-2005, 12:58 AM
I like what you have going there, videodv. It would indeed be a good design for learning Vue.

You got my vote!

videodv
06-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Maybe one of us could model the centre section another could do the domey things and another could do some buildings ect for the inside of the domes.

How about the placement of the domes should they be in a line two/four/six each side, sould the domes be round! how about octagons!

Just some thoughts, if everybody is happy with this approch, It is just an idea, I am open to others without a problem.

videodv.

mdunakin
06-13-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm still waiting on some monies to come in, which should be soon enough, but when I do,
I "AM" getting the Vue 5 infinite and would love to get in on this whole deal here.

I already have loads of experience with LW, since v4.0 and problem solving.
I'm fairly decent with sceneries and such in LW, and think I can be pretty
good in this department with Vue, which of course is my main reason for wanting it.
As well as I'm pretty decent with modeling and setting up animations.
And what I mean is, I'm good with motion and movement along with timing.

Anyway, I've tried the demo that they had (isn't the 5 version) and found it releltively
easy to figure out, with what seemed to me, to be a pretty easy learning curve.

Anyway........................md :)

paladin6303
06-14-2005, 04:25 AM
Some images of a relatively local structure, the mitchell park domes, don't know how well known they are (or even how common), but they seemed relavant to the domed design theme...

http://www.eadp.com/domes.html

http://www.milwaukee.org/images/Visitor/suggested_itineraries/Mitchell-Park-Domes-aerial.jpg

http://www.notduck.com/images/domes.jpg

http://www.blsa.net/Langs/Mitchel-Park-Domes3.JPG

Here's a barebones concept, just to see if the idea I was thinking of could be done in Vue.

videodv
06-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Here is a second very quick pic of the idea of the space domes in a line

http://www.videodvdownloads.co.uk/downloads/vp2.jpg

But I must say I do like the idea of a dome park, there is a lot we could do with the design in vue.

videodv.

<Pino>
06-15-2005, 10:03 PM
I hope we can find a start...
... I also did a test,

http://www.cgpoint.de/pino/dome.jpg

mdunakin
06-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Wow!, Pino, that's awesome!

The best sample I've seen here so far for the Dome Ideas.
Great work thus far.
Post up more when you get some.
Those are just plain and simply, real nice :)

thanx...........md :)

<Pino>
06-16-2005, 11:58 AM
... thank you mdunakin

@ paladin6303:
I didnt understand your barebones concept, can you type some words to it ?

...@ all: I like to hear how we want build up the team/teams, and deciding who wants to work on what ? Should we for example build a database on an seperate webspace for objects ? Maybe some of us can Model, other have time to texture or bring in Position and so on...

DigReal
06-17-2005, 01:03 AM
I like all the dome ideas we're seeing!

Pino's example makes me think of a Martian habitat of some sort (an idea I REALLY like). It provides the opportunity of contrasting landscapes... barren, rocky, red on the outside... lush and green inside the domes. Maybe the outside can even have some new kind of life starting to take root.

I'd enjoy experimenting with some alien life forms, as well as contributing some more earthly veggies.

paladin6303
06-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Really like the domes <Pino>, nice departure from the "geodesic" look, and like DigReal's idea of plants creeping outside the boundaries set by the domes. (What is the scale of these beasties?)

I suppose I'll stick with the O'Neill based design though, just because this tends to speak to me a bit more than the domes do. I'm focusing on the interior at the moment, whereas the dome idea is beginning at the exterior(?) so two different approaches to the space colony idea.

The image (for those with ?'s) is really just a capsule with the polys flipped, raised terrain bits to simulate a landscape (64k polys) with a simple Vue ecosystem "texture" applied (total 2,350k polys). Buildings, vehicles, people, and other interior details will be needed of course, so I'm bound to run into some innovation (hardware/software limitation (learning)) challenges.

A separate web space might almost be a requirement for teams, otherwise we'll end up emailing files back and forth and waiting for our various time zone based delays.

gotta run,
Al

videodv
06-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I like the idea of a martian/alien type landscape should produce some creative ideas I think.

Maybe we could setup a yahoo briefcase or some such for file sharing ect!

By the way are we looking at a single picture render, or a short flypast!

videodv.

leho
06-25-2005, 08:55 PM
ok i'm not gonna jpin cuz i dont have the program...yet.but it's fun to look what you're doing here :D

CGTalk Moderation
06-25-2005, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.