PDA

View Full Version : Graphics programming- GeForce or Quadro

mlmiller1983
05-26-2005, 05:48 PM
I just started getting into graphics programming via C/C++. Is there any difference in what you can do on a Quadro card or a GeForce(6 series) card as far as programming goes or is there not a difference at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!!!

Vertizor
05-26-2005, 06:46 PM
The gamer cards usually are first at having the lastest Direct3D and Shader specs, but Quadros do support DX and shaders. It's probably logical to run your graphics on the level of hardware most users would have.

Beyond the scope of games, I don't think there's anything specific about Quadros that you could exploit as a developer unless you're (the artist formerly known as) Discreet and get your own "Maxtreme" drivers :)

If I were you I'd be more concerned with the question of "ATI or Nvidia" from a programmer's point of view. There's definitely some differences there because each company has their own set of extensions. For the most part those extensions have counterparts on each side but developers (take id and Valve for example) find ways of tweaking their engines specifically for each brand.

mlmiller1983
05-26-2005, 07:02 PM
The gamer cards usually are first at having the lastest Direct3D and Shader specs, but Quadros do support DX and shaders. It's probably logical to run your graphics on the level of hardware most users would have.

Beyond the scope of games, I don't think there's anything specific about Quadros that you could exploit as a developer unless you're (the artist formerly known as) Discreet and get your own "Maxtreme" drivers :)

If I were you I'd be more concerned with the question of "ATI or Nvidia" from a programmer's point of view. There's definitely some differences there because each company has their own set of extensions. For the most part those extensions have counterparts on each side but developers (take id and Valve for example) find ways of tweaking their engines specifically for each brand.

Just a question. I already have a GeForce 6 and Quadro FX card. Just wondering which one is better for graphics programming.

L

Vertizor
05-26-2005, 07:43 PM
The GeForce 6

mlmiller1983
05-26-2005, 09:06 PM
The GeForce 6

What I meant to say was GeForce 6800 GT.

Hunturk
05-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Dear friens,

Quadro and GeForce 6 very advanced video adaptor. Direct X is geforce4, ti, used is good.

Useless Quadro and GeForce video adaptor next level graphic programing.

May it be easy.

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2005, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.