PDA

View Full Version : creating glowing things

05-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie...
gotta question

How do you create glowing things is 3DS Max...
for example i want to create a laser, a very thick laser....
like the one you see in Independence War or any other sci-fi movie like star wars...

thx for any reply
sorry for my bac english

-Vormav-
05-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Look up the lens effect "glow" in the reference and tutorial guides(Max comes with a tutorial that covers this effect: Tutorials>Tutorials for film and broadcast professionals>Creating explosions. The first part of the tutorial, "animating the laser blast", is what you want). This would be the easiest way. The general idea is to use a spline that represents your laser beam. You would then give this spline a new object ID, apply the lens effect 'glow' and use this object ID for the glow. And there you have it.

If you wanted to get fancy with it, you could try setting something up with Mental Ray, using a combination of glow and glare shaders. But as you're a newbie, I wouldn't recommend getting into this.

sculpter21
05-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Their are a few light plugins are u using mr

05-27-2005, 02:40 AM
I haven't notice that tutorial....

thx...

vwman
05-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Create a Target Direct light with target. Then in modify panel of the light under the submenu: Intensity/Color/Attentuation. Set multiplier to 3 or higher for stronger laser if your background is light, if black background setting it to 3 will be good enough. Leave the color white.

In Directional Parameters submenu set falloff / field to 5.

If you don't see another submenu called: Atmospheres & Effects make sure you select the light in any of the views and go to modify panel again. Now you should see the menu.

In that menu click ADD.

Add Volume Light and click add. Now click on volume light in the list and click SELECT.

This should bring you to a new menu. Environment and Effects.

You should see FOG color and Attentuation. Pick a color of the FOG only to whatever color your laser will be. Lets pick RED for starters.

Select DENSITY: 10 (Play around with this later to set how strong the laser appears)

Now in Same menu under NOISE:
Noise ON
Amount 0.2 (experiment for your liking with all the numbers below)
Turbulence
High 0.8
Low 0.4
Uniformity 0.5
Levels 2.0
Size 5.0

Now render your light.

Hope you like it. POst some images of your work. :D

vwman
05-28-2005, 06:22 PM
At the end try select the color of the light to match the color of the FOG to make the noise stand out a bit.

Here is an example of what the result should look like. I put a blue laser inside a ring of red lasers. :D

http://web135.server38.rhs-it.de/Lifter/Laser.gif

azloha
05-31-2005, 02:53 PM
u guys could help me with this?

flame light flickering...., it is a scene in a dungeon, with fire on pillar and wall lighting the way.

the light will animate with the flame from the sphere gizmo, fire effect. the flame is made from environment>atmosphere>effect>add "fire effect">pick gizmo.... something like that.

after building the fire, i put the MR omni light in it. in the modify panel of the omni light, there is a shadow parameter. check the "on" in atmosphere shadow.

i had apply noise modifier to the sphere gizmo.

animate it, u will see the flame glowing. but the flickering of the flame light got some problems. doesnt seems light fire light. flickering too much. and accompany with some intrusive white light. the ligth suddenly become too strong.

i got two main questions from it.
1. is it the problem of the noise modifier?
2. i had go to the track view, but there is nothing i can modify.

wht is the problem?

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2005, 02:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.