PDA

View Full Version : bump map for fur?

claws_33
05-26-2005, 05:16 AM
I'm working on this person who's furry..i guess and i'm wondering what the best way is to make it look like fur that is tight against the face (not using saslite or anything like that)? The bump map i made looked a bit odd, but had the right feel to it because i don't want her to have a furry face. also, i've been coloring it with detail that i would be hard pressed to do with saslite. any recommendations on how to achieve this is appreciated!

biliousfrog
05-26-2005, 02:57 PM
are you thinking of a kinda downey, fluffy material.....like the sort of fine hair that most people have on their face?

If so, maybe look at the velvet material in the surface presets. It's a combination of bump & diffuse...& maybe reflectance controlled by an incidence gradient. If that's what you want then post back & we'll go from there. If you want something more fur/hair like then you might have to go for saslite. It doesn't just do fuzzy hair, you can control the direction with guide chains too.

claws_33
05-26-2005, 03:33 PM
This is what I am trying to fur. If i use saslite, is there a way to make the fibers take up these colors? probably not :( i don't want it to be really furry, just to look like she has a light fur. Thanks for your help^_^

PixelInfected
05-26-2005, 07:05 PM
sas full can take color from image map, saslite not can

c-g
05-26-2005, 08:27 PM
One big thing you need is anisotropic shading that simulates the fur. There are a few free plugins that can do that but I'm not sure how much they will allow you to define the direction the microstructure would lay.

biliousfrog
05-26-2005, 10:01 PM
saslite works on a per-object basis.....I've managed to get some mixed colour by splitting an object into layers, one for each fur colour. It's not a very good way of doing things but it can work.

claws_33
05-26-2005, 10:39 PM
I've tried using saslite..but it only allows 8 layers or so i think? I would definitely need more than that to do the body, and if i do it on the face, i would feel obligated to do it to the entire thing.
C-G: i'll look into that anisotropic shading thing. i don't need to define it too much, i hope!

I wish i had sasquatch :-p

claws_33
05-27-2005, 04:46 PM
well i've tried getting an anisotropic shader but i can't find one that's free. I think i'm not searching correctly. any help on where to get one would be nice, thanks!

monovich
05-27-2005, 05:21 PM
sasquatch full is pretty spendy, but it will do everything you are trying to do quite easily.

-s

c-g
05-27-2005, 05:34 PM
C-G: i'll look into that anisotropic shading thing. i don't need to define it too much, i hope!

This looks like it does it.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=180024

webshot
05-27-2005, 07:28 PM
I am sorry for this bone head question, but is sasquatch a Modeler or Layout plugin? Also does "saslite" come with 7.5 or 8? Or do you have to buy or dload it?

Pancho
05-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi folks,

I'm trying to solve this problem for quite some time as I'm working on a lot of animals lately. The point is: Sasquatch isn't able to generate an even and short hair which streams along the body. A carpet would be possible, but an animal works in a different way. Well, sometimes I'd achive quite good looking results, but then render times were out of my production schedule or the hair in all the bends and "valleys" would look sh*tty. Sas hair isn't intelligent, at least not after the root. So I'm asking for quite some time for a BRDF shader which let's you paint directions on your model. Pipari's hair shader is quite nice, but you can't change the "stroke" direction at least on a per polygon basis. UV mapping would be necessarry. Then you could try to distort your models UV map in a way that the general stroke direction (either U- or V-) flows on you object. In Sasquatch you are able to change the direction of the short fur by using Null objects, but if you you try to style a horse with all its hair vortexes, then it becomes an ridiculous undertaking. There is a need for Sas2. This version is too rusty. But for the short hair (sticking to the body) a BRDF shader is the far better solution. If somebody knows about a BRDF shader which can be "styled", he/she could make me a pretty happy person by sharing this resource.

Cheers
Pancho

Pancho
05-28-2005, 07:14 AM
P.S.: The short Sas fur needs to be really dense. Otherwise the "BRDF" specular highlights are torn by the underlying object surface. Therefore rendertimes on a huge animal are enormous.

PixelInfected
05-28-2005, 09:51 AM
I am sorry for this bone head question, but is sasquatch a Modeler or Layout plugin? Also does "saslite" come with 7.5 or 8? Or do you have to buy or dload it?

sasquatch / saslite is a layout plugin that work like postprocessing filter.
it can use surface where it can grow like fur, or it can use a 2 point polygon chain (which you build on modeler) like guide to produce long hair or rope, or many other.

sas lite is distributed with lw from lw 7 to up, sasquatch full is a worley plugin that you can buy if need more power and control over fur and long hair, you can check on worley.comweb site the difference of two plugins.

claws_33
05-28-2005, 04:11 PM
I did get that shader, but as it comes with no instructions I'm at a bit of a loss on how to use it. where do i select how the shader works? I can get as far as adding it to the surface in the last tab but not sure where to go from there..

PixelInfected
05-28-2005, 04:15 PM
sas must be applied in three different place :
displacement plugin (which controll all about fur and hair)
shader plugin (to project shadow on obj from fur and hair, sas full only)
pixel processing (that control antialias and other option)

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2005, 04:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.