PDA

View Full Version : Is this how it is to be "Burnt out"?

chenzan
05-26-2005, 12:42 AM
something is wrong with me, somethings not there anymore, like a zombie or something. after a month or so of trying to set up a important trip to LA in July, trying to perfect layout of my portfolio, trying desperately to create good pieces for that portfolio and failing hard. Ive think ive officially burnt out.

i cant even play videogames the same, they used to be stress relievers but now theres nothing, no fun, is it becaus there no good game out there or am i just not excited about games anymore, god damn what the hell is wrong with me.

any one know how to get out of this state of mind? how do artist come back from this feeling?

Rhalin
05-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I've had that happen before, usually after a marathon session of programming or painting. Sometimes I can pick up a new game, and that helps. I haven't been happy with a lot of the new stuff coming out recently, so -that- avenue hasn't been working so well for me.

So, I've taken to finding some other things. Generally I've found that it helps to get out of the office/apartment entirely, do something active. I've been exploring some of the nearby state parks, hiking a little bit.

I like to think that new experiences, new places, lead to new creativity. And aside from that, a little fresh air and exercise can do wonders for your stress level! If the outdoors aren't your thing, maybe go out to a club or a theme park or something.

Basically, I think you just need a break and to get away from it for a day or two ;)

paperclip
05-26-2005, 01:05 AM
Go for a walk. If you don't want to, force yourself. Walk amongst nature for at least half an hour every day, not going anywhere. You will feel better. This is almost guaranteed!!
I say 'almost' because if you have clinical depression-- that's a whole another story.

Gord-MacDonald
05-26-2005, 02:52 AM
something is wrong with me, somethings not there anymore, like a zombie or something. after a month or so of trying to set up a important trip to LA in July, trying to perfect layout of my portfolio, trying desperately to create good pieces for that portfolio and failing hard. Ive think ive officially burnt out.

i cant even play videogames the same, they used to be stress relievers but now theres nothing, no fun, is it becaus there no good game out there or am i just not excited about games anymore, god damn what the hell is wrong with me.

any one know how to get out of this state of mind? how do artist come back from this feeling?

If it keeps up, seek professional medical help - seriously...
Gord

stepington
05-26-2005, 02:54 AM
This happens to me probably everyother week for a couple days or so. When this happens I begin to clean the house. Soak in favorite films - images- and dissect why I like them. And then I drink beer, then make plans with some pals to get out of town.

Then the natural creative flow seeps back in and I'm able to walk and chew gum again. The important thing is to not stress about feeling dry - if you do creative hiates will last longer.

Ofcourse, we don't always have the luxury for mental health days. During those moments I can only say "good-luck" and make sure you keep up on food, water, and vitamins.

Squibbit
05-26-2005, 04:27 AM
Go for a walk. If you don't want to, force yourself. Walk amongst nature for at least half an hour every day, not going anywhere. You will feel better. This is almost guaranteed!!

i second this! go out, find a nice place, lie down, read a book, relax

Peddy
05-26-2005, 04:30 AM
i recommend Bill Bryson's A Short History Of Nearly Everything.

oh, and don't panic!

Lunatique
05-26-2005, 06:28 AM
This is why it's so important to be a well-rounded person, not just a guy who plays video games and do CG. Try other things like music, photography, writing, dancing, taking trips to museums, play sports (if you don't like sports, try other physical fun things like paint ball, airsoft, horseback riding..etc), learn to cook, keep a pet, hangout with friends, read books about things you normally wouldn't..etc.

southparx
05-26-2005, 06:29 AM
"when all else fail, pray"

please dont take the above words to be negative, i dont have any intention other than helping chenzan of his burning out dillemma(?)

i do also walk to a park nearby my house just watching teenagers playing basketball,
or sometimes sit down in a crowd (which i quite rarely do),
just basically get away from the office desktop (and bedroom - where i spend most of my time doing more tutorials ) and catch up with people.

one more tips that work for me, is to do some not so time consuming artwork for girlfriend (which i dont have for the past 2.5 years :banghead: ) or friends that arent into CG as much as we do, get praises from them, it feels good and works like a charm to me.

hope my tips work :shrug:

tayete
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Welcome to maturity and growing old. That's exactly how it feels.
(Now just wait to have a couple of kids...you'll know what's having 100% worries, 0% free time).

P.S.: Yeah, nowadays games suck! :(

rendermania
05-26-2005, 01:03 PM

Give yourself and your brain a break. Go out and get some fresh air. Walk around places you don't normally go. Call people to see if they're up for doing something. Find some nature you can interact with. Eat healthier food for a while if you've been binging on snacks & coffee. Replace softdrinks with pure water or fruit juices for a while. Watch some good arthouse movies. Read some classic literature. fold some paperplanes. put your feet up and switch off for a couple of minutes. :)

Rhalin
05-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Eat healthier food for a while if you've been binging on snacks & coffee. Replace softdrinks with pure water or fruit juices for a while.

Yeah, forgot about that, but dropping the caffeine and sugar for a bit can help out a lot too. Just be careful with that, can get you bad headaches if you do it too fast and are acustom to a lot of it.

Blue-demon
05-26-2005, 04:50 PM
I reccomend take a weekend off from doing any thing and i reccomend you just watch your favourite movie, come monday morning try a quick sketch and just play around for a bit then try painting a charater/scene from the movie. This should help.

Good luck !

tevih
05-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Yea, I had that a couple months ago so I decided to take a drive down to the Keys for the day. I not only didn't make it down there, due to an accident, but down there the highway is generally only 2 lanes. There were injuries and people needed to be airlifted to the hospital, but the helicopter couldnt land on only 2 lanes of highway, so he landed about a mile back north in the 4 lane passing zone. I was stuck in the middle for the afternoon as they were shuttling people from the accident to the chopper. I drove home feeling a lot worse then previously!! lol

I'm hoping to try again in a couple of weeks.... So much for my one day break after a 7 month marathon.

Do more exercise, take breaks (yea, easier said than done), but you have to give your brain a rest and keep your body moving. Get to a park or something and listen to music and just forget everything...

mamurphy
05-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Are you seeing the pattern here?

I agree that getting outside and walking or getting any kind of exercise will benefit the brain as much as the body.:)

I generally have 30 mins a day to myself. I either play a quick game of BBall on the xbox or walk the dogs. Inevitably, the dog walking makes me feel better, clears my mind and makes me feel human again.

Nature is the most creative and diverse thing I can think of. When burned out, why not go to an unlimited source of inspiration. Outdoors.

Studev
05-26-2005, 08:05 PM
I got treated in a hospital for 4 months, mentality and physically. After being "more" than burnt out. You don't want to know.

Just one thing that you need to ask yourself. Is it worth for you to do this, until you can't even enjoy your life at all ? After that period of healing. I walk in a park and asked myself, and the answer is no and i don't want to do this for my life, although i'm enjoying it. There're things that can make more money without suffering than this.

So i treat it is as a proffesional hobby now. I'm more happy rather than treat it as a business.

You may come to this conclusion if you really feel you can't enjoy the work anymore. And later you will find something.

endseason
05-27-2005, 11:36 AM
i agree about the walk and physical activity in general,
i personally found is really good to go running at least 3 for weeks in the lunch break or early morning,
i am super lazy person and was really hard to push my self to do this but i found i improved a lot in my job, my motivation while working improved too and the stress just fade away after the first few meters running than the rest is just deep mental relaxation...

i think is better do something totally different from ur drawing, painting etc abits...
u ll see u ll have lotta more inspiration when going back to that. (i say this cause generally when i do, for example, sculpting after works some times i don't find that's so relaxing cause i am pushing to do the best and this kills the relaxing part :))

at the end i agree with the Studev post,
if u find too hard and too stressful ur actual jog or dream job, ask ur self if is really what want and if the price to be payed is right for it.
i found beeing realistic (or maybe better open minded to changes) sometimes save the situation.

hope i helped at least a little:)

yenvalmar
05-30-2005, 04:23 AM
you could try going out and doing something social? i know for many of us such as myself, a really active social life is not always a part of the 3d animator life style, but why not take advantage of creative down time to try to make some friends or something. or, if you are good enough in bed/cute/funny/nice enough to have a girlfriend who likes you enough to put up with a typical 3d animator that spends all their time at work, take her on a date and pay some attention to her, she will be less likely to dump you during the next crunch time when you are already stressed out sleeping under your desk at work.

seriously, i got totally burned out and did nothing for 2 years but spend all teh money i had saved when i was working too much to spend all the money i was making catching up on all the partying and chasing girls i hadnt been doing. by the end of that time i was glad to get back to work. then i spent the better part of the next year literally sleeping under my desk. its really hard to find that work/life balance, i think a lot of us wrestle with it. i am doing ok at the moment, i have a job, and personal art projects, and a girlfriend, and a few good friends, and i spend some time on all of them, but it really does feel like a balancing feat, like riding a bicycle for the first time.. still a bit wobbly but i think i am starting to see how it could work. keep at it. you arent possibly going to attain enlightenment till you are 30 anyways, i think i am going to miss that mark even.

willemo
05-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I've been feeling the same way lately. I tried things like better eating, more socializing, less work, more hobbies, more excercise, more sleep. All these things work for a while, but after a week I'm always feeling the same - demotivated and bored.

Somehow I managed to fool myself and overlooked a possible cause - depression.

Now this might not be your problem. But maybe it is?

I recommend checking out this article - http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/Depression_Information/signs.htm

They don't try and sell you anything. It's just a document giving some great info on depression.

Good luck mate!

Studev
05-30-2005, 06:00 PM
The moral of the story is don't touch computer, it could kill you. hehehe..

Well, it can be true, after you spend most of your times in front of it. I feel MUCH better after i got out of it. We're created/made to compliment each other, so we can't escape from socializing. When you spend ur times too often in front of computer too often, it could draw you inside the virtual world. Now, that is not a very good things. And I believe that.

Depression ? I was way far ahead than depression when i treated in hospital last time. I can't even differentiate between reality and imagination. It's as thin as paper, where i feel like flying. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere. It looks like i don't sleep at all although i may seem to be sleeping according to the doctor. It's more than horrible. I come to a state where not many people experience it. One advise, please share, find a friend, don't talk about computer or anything related to your work during conversion. Find a more pleasant topic to talk about. Travelling uphill is a very good things to do, should do that more often, the more nature you can see, the better it is. I personally stay away from crowded place, especially in a pub. Make sure you sweat everyday, do some exercises, swimming, badminton, tennis or whatever it is.

I would still suggest, don't make this as your career, find a better one. Don't quote me on that, i'm just suggesting. It's entirely up to you. I spoke based on my experience, it may be different on your case.

Regards

mucousInTeeth
05-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Giving yourself too much pressure? looks like you might be brow-beating yourself over the quality of your work?

Looking at your website, I think you have good skills chanzan, expecially your storyboards. While your color paintings are on the weaker side (hmm not much detail involved). Know your strenghts and weakneses, what will make you look stronger at this point? maybe bring those to the forefront? What direction do you want to head into? If what you are stronger at does not align with where you want to go, I suppose you will need to make some decisions then, there may be many routes to the same destination. (this is just my BS, take it with a pinch of salt will ya)

checkout the amazing Meet the Artist thread at http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165

Scope out a role-model there?

** ... assumptions ... **
Your logo does not remind me of the game console btw because of the juxtoposition of the image below it (you posted the logo on another thread right? I can't find that thread today ...), if the spiral does look like Dreamcast, surely you can replace it with another graphic symbol to denote the same concept? Logo design is a full other dicipline and definately is not easy, to have overly high expectations can be draining as well. Try posting your logo to the forums at www.typophile.com (http://www.typophile.com), many Type, GD pros there, great place to post logos for critique.

I found this to be very inspiring (found it on drawn.ca) http://video.csupomona.edu/streaming/asc/chen_yi_chang.htm
(nearly 3 hours long, but honestly better than watching Madagascar LOL ... Revenge of the Sith everybody should see however hehe)

Best of luck man!

Rani
05-31-2005, 01:11 PM
I know what you mean, I'm having this kind of period right now myself. I got many things I need to do and I have no motivtation, I generally feel tired and frustrated.

The best solution I found so far is to get a good sleep then taking a shower and go out with friends.

Running also works sometimes, but I'm running because I must work out for my upcoming recruitment so I don't enjoy it much and see it more as an obligation, you on the other hand has no such problem so it might work for you.

EDIT: after reading my post I realize that basically it comes down to spending some time outside.

digitalshaman
05-31-2005, 02:06 PM
getting up for a walk at 4:30 am and then meditating around 6:ooam for as long as possible, for a week at least, contemplating on anything you've been meaning to think about and sort out REALLY sorts out your life.

Rember, its all just feelings, you are still you.

glassefx
05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
One person said this is adulthood... I think they are real close! I like a good ball-rippin' psychadelic cleansing... Does wonders and it gets your ass in gear with a quickness...

Good-Luck!

Chris Bacon
05-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Theres a strong conecting between phisical work out and mental well being.....basicaly it stems from when we were hunter gathers....we would be constantaly on the move either through hunting or relocating.....but as society changed (faster than our bodies are adapting) sitting down and not doing much has become a norm...and as a result depresion is on the increase....as well a 'burn out'....

so the best thing...I find at least is a long walk.....I normaly walk from my house to my local town and back...ita a 7 mile round trip......you get fitter and you feel clear in your head......

Hope thats helped.......

mangual
06-04-2005, 12:52 PM
**edited**

Good luck to all of you trying to cope with these situations. I've often heard that one of the most important requirements for success in life is to have passion for what you're doing.

azozel
06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
I'd take some vacation time and go backpacking off in some deep contry to like a forest off the beaten path for 3 or 4 days. Take some M.R.E.'s and a sketchpad. I've done this twice before and I have scene some amazing things.

If your away from the roads your in nature.
Just make sure you respect it.
Do this and you'll feel alot better.

Darktwin
06-09-2005, 04:08 AM
I work out, just to get away from the monotonous clicking of the mouse. get a membership to a gym, walk, run, breathe fresh air. Many people have already stated a lot of great remedies. There is more to life than playing video games.

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2005, 04:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.