PDA

View Full Version : File contains unknown nodes or data

visjes
05-25-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm sure we've all seen this at some time. Uninstall a plugin and wanted to save a Maya ASCII backup, or whatever. Well in my case the file IS in Maya ASCII and I'm trying to save to Maya Binary because the scene is now enormous, and I don't really like the time it takes to save a 150 meg ascii file.

I've searched high and low to try and determine what these nodes are. Nothing in the hypergraph seems out of order, I've ran the optimize scene script many times. Nothing seems to be doing it. Can someone suggest a script-based approach to finding these unknown nodes/data?

I can write the script, I'm just not sure where to start. How to determine when a node is "unknown".

Usually rendering in batch mode will show some errors about the names of the nodes at least, but there is nothing. I've already been through all that and removed everything it said before, but still the error remains. Hm.

Sifting through the ASCII file is obviously not a pretty choice. Anyway, ideas?

visjes
05-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Well, as always, the answers comes like a bolt from that sacred blue just moments after posting. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't Maya warn about unknown nodes on file load? It doesn't. Anyway, should anyone else run into this problem:

print `ls -typ "unknown"`;

Verify there's nothing important there.

delete `ls -l -typ "unknown"`;

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2005, 11:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.