PDA

View Full Version : What Studios use XSI as thier primary App

Julez4001
05-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Job hunting and seriously considering upgrading my learning curve of XSI into more production oriented direction.
So What Studios use XSI as thier primary App. Its seem Canada is the land of XSI but othewr studio have to be using this guy to have such a base, I just never hear of them.

leigh
05-25-2005, 04:03 PM
XSI is huge in Japan. Locally, I know that Omation uses it as their primary application for animation.

KolbyJukes
05-25-2005, 04:08 PM
I use XSI here at Raven, so do a bunch of other guys, though it's not the primary app.

MarkH
05-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Here are some in California.

3Dconnexion, Inc. Los Gatos, CA, USA other
Capcom USA Sunnyvale, CA, USA Games
Carl\'s Fine Films Decatur, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
Giant Killer Robot San Francisco, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
Industrial Light + Magic San Rafael, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
Omation Valley Village, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
Pandemic Studios Los Angeles, CA, USA Games
Pinnacle Exhibits Irvine, CA, USA Architectural Visualization
Pixel Liberation Front Venice, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
R!OT Santa Monica, CA, USA several
Stan Winston Studio Van Nuys, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
twothousandstrong Venice, CA, USA Broadcast / Commercials
Wild Brain, Inc San Francisco, CA, USA Broadcast / Commercials

kamil_w
05-25-2005, 04:14 PM
ILM?

according to:

http://www.alias.com/eng/press/press_releases/20050524_maya_helps_power_digital_characters_in_star_wars_industry.shtml

Maya is their main commercial app

(even for animation)

MarkH
05-25-2005, 04:16 PM
ILM? ...Maya is their main commercial app
I didn't say it was their main app.. :twisted:

Bucket
05-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I remember watching the star wars episode 2 dvd extras. Kevin Martel was animating yoda using softimage3d I believe. But apparently they've been changing. It is unfortunate that there is still a bias to what package that you are familiar with. But I doubt they rely on one package to do everything. Maya is just used more than the other apps.

Julez4001
05-25-2005, 04:36 PM
XSI is huge in Japan. Locally, I know that Omation uses it as their primary application for animation.

Leigh, do you use a lot at CafeFX or is this just own thing.

leigh
05-25-2005, 04:42 PM
A couple of us here use it quite a lot. Not really sure how much more I can comment on our software pipeline though, as it is currently changing a bit.

Julez4001
05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
I use XSI here at Raven, so do a bunch of other guys, though it's not the primary app.

I just finished two freelance jobs using my old apps (this after working 6 years steady for one company) and I have a couple free weeks to really work on personal stuff and training.

I would like to know if XSI is really good direction for future steady employment in comparison with other apps. No flame war here. I love theinterface and I like the integration of tools.

I am beta-testing XSI PointOVen and its a dream to bring .lwo objects in. VERY NICE!

ThirdEye
05-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Rythm&Hues
Peerless Camera
Glassworks
Framestore
Ubisoft
EA
Animal Logic
RSP

artistx
05-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Here are some other studios using it. To what degree, I do not know.

Janimation - Dallas, TX

Lionhead Studios - Surrey, UK

Pure - New York, NY

Mainframe Entertainment - Vancouver, BC, Canada

I really wouldn't expect too many large studios (>20 Employees) to be using XSI as their primary software. I'm guessing most of these studios are slowly integrating it. Even with full integration, studios often use more than one 3d software package.

Bulldog
05-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Here are some in California.

3Dconnexion, Inc. Los Gatos, CA, USA other
Capcom USA Sunnyvale, CA, USA Games
Carl\'s Fine Films Decatur, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
Giant Killer Robot San Francisco, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
Industrial Light + Magic San Rafael, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
Omation Valley Village, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
Pandemic Studios Los Angeles, CA, USA Games
Pinnacle Exhibits Irvine, CA, USA Architectural Visualization
Pixel Liberation Front Venice, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
R!OT Santa Monica, CA, USA several
Stan Winston Studio Van Nuys, CA, USA Film / Visual Effects
twothousandstrong Venice, CA, USA Broadcast / Commercials
Wild Brain, Inc San Francisco, CA, USA Broadcast / Commercials

Some of those are inaccurate.

3d connexion is the makers of spaceball and they use xsi for probably testing purposes.

Giant Killer Robots does to use xsi as primary software by any shot.

ILM unfortunately dropped XSI from the pipeline a while ago from what i know.

Wild Brain was a maya house last i talked with some of the guys working there.

This post is not meant to put down xsi by any means btw before someone starts flaming me , imo its gain the film market will only increase.

EdHarriss
05-25-2005, 07:31 PM
- Here (http://www.xsibase.com/xsilinks/companies.php) is a list of companies that use XSI. (Click "GO" on the right hand side.)
- It's not a very large list (only 240 companies) but it's a good sample of who uses it.

Atyss
05-25-2005, 07:57 PM
I just finished two freelance jobs using my old apps (this after working 6 years steady for one company) and I have a couple free weeks to really work on personal stuff and training.

I would like to know if XSI is really good direction for future steady employment in comparison with other apps. No flame war here. I love theinterface and I like the integration of tools.

I am beta-testing XSI PointOVen and its a dream to bring .lwo objects in. VERY NICE!

If you want to get the feel about career opportunities based on software, check the various job offers on websites. The software that come up the most often will likely be the one you will choose.

Now if the question is "I want to use XSI but am affraid to not find work", I say this is quite irrelevant. This all depends on the health of your local industry (provided that you look for work locally). The healthier your local industry is, the less relevant the software is. When companies start competing to get talent (wich is almost the case here in Montreal for experienced artists), they are a lot more open to "similar" profiles to those they are actually looking for. Skilled workers that are available and that show a good learning potential are rarer than you might think.

I'm under the impression that the general industry has been doing better and better since 2002. I wouldn't worry too much about the software, as having experience and contacts will open you much more doors than knowing the right software (there is no right software anyway, who knows, Blender may dominate the market in 3 years from now... :) )

Cheers
Bernard

mr Bob
05-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Pixel Liberation Front

Many firms Ive found that use xsi also use Maya heavily so if you know either you can cross back and forth , which always keps the mix interesting

B

Asgorath
05-26-2005, 06:35 AM
ILM is bit strange when it goes to software usage, let's say they don't care about the application; the only thing that matter is the quality of the result. They use a very large amount of softwares to do the job. In fact they doesn't necessarely use CG to do the fx, they still use miniature live shot compositing. Like the water falls in SW episode 1 on Naboo, it's falling salt...

Even in SW Episode 2 they use Softimage|3D to do some anim. But most of their CG production are made with Maya I think... I think it's a matter of employ qualification.

Otherwise, here are other company that use XSI:

Valve
Epic Games
Pandemic

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2005, 06:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.