PDA

View Full Version : beautycheck

Grondhammar
05-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Just in case anyone's missed it... a really fascinating study to read for anyone who draws/paints/models faces.

http://www.beautycheck.de/

Kargokultti
05-25-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm too worried by this to make use of it. (And yes, it told me I'm not exactly attractive, but I already knew that anyway.)

P.S. Did anyone else get this weird feeling when looking at the morphed faces? It wasn't just with the symmetrical ones, but still I got this feeling like I was looking at someone with the other half of their face reflected from a mirror or something.

echom
05-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Fascinating...

I guess I'm missing out on some important bonuses in life then ;D
I'll see how to make use of it in modelling.

bye

Peddy
05-25-2005, 02:34 PM
werr? (http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakultaeten/phil_Fak_II/Psychologie/Psy_II/beautycheck/english/durchschnittsgesichter/durchschnittsgesichter.htm)

how is 64 female faces, from non-specified ethnicity and age groups, AVERAGE, considering we live in a world of over 5 BILLION people and the exact same number of different faces?

regardless, its a very interesting website.

Did anyone else get this weird feeling when looking at the morphed faces? It wasn't just with the symmetrical ones, but still I got this feeling like I was looking at someone with the other half of their face reflected from a mirror or something.
thats because its reputed that the more symettrical your face is, the more attractive.

Grondhammar
05-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Good point Peddy. Average there isn't average everywhere. But, I don't think we should hold them to the same standards of scholarship that, say, Science are held to.

Apparently there's a link to the software they used somewhere on that site, have looked m'self. Would be fun to run the monster pets from the daily sketchers through there and see if we can come up with an Average Monster :D

jmBoekestein
05-25-2005, 07:24 PM
I think it makes sense actually. Not exact science but the theory is sound I find. :shrug:

Kargokultti
05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
If you read the site carefully you'll notice that they examine at least two different theories of beauty: that beauty is symmetry and that beauty is in the average.

Symmetry didn't work (though it seems that they tested it on a pimply nerd face), and the average face is just average. Oh, the third theory was that people find childlike features pleasing. This seemed to apply.

Empath
05-25-2005, 11:59 PM
For those of us who don't speak German.... what?

Peddy
05-26-2005, 03:48 AM
learn it! seriously, theres a link at the top that says english version. did you even look?

MKStudios
05-26-2005, 05:23 AM
how is 64 female faces, from non-specified ethnicity and age groups, AVERAGE, considering we live in a world of over 5 BILLION people and the exact same number of different faces?

Hmmm, didn't the Nazis do a similar study in the 1940s? :argh:

I think it's a little telling that there were not any ethinically diverse faces included, which I think would make a much more interesting study. Like, sample pics of all the hot women from every nationality and morph the uberchick! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2005, 05:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.