PDA

View Full Version : Blue screen setup

Animare
10-13-2002, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Im going to be playing around with recording some footage through a digital cam, and was going to set up an amateur blue screen to play around with. I was just wanting to ask for some tips/hints from the pros in setting up a blue screen, mainly what lighting I should try and use and any other hints.

Thanks

jazzman121
10-13-2002, 04:33 AM
try using a material that doesnst shine... and i tried it by buying borard paper and put em all together... it works

CColtManM
10-13-2002, 06:30 AM
I did the same thing in a raquetball room. White is the best.. except for those pesky dark spots... but i fixed that by having everyone where black, and thus increasing the threshold.

wireFrame
10-14-2002, 02:13 AM
a) use blue or green screen chroma material and should be non reflective.

b) Should be lighted flat/evenly; avoid using crumpled material

c) Your subject/talent should be at a distance to minimise color spills.

Animare
10-14-2002, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys, this will really help reduce the amount of errors etc made from simple mistakes I will take all this into note. Really appreciate it, will let you know how it goes :)

Thanks
Shan

orionsbelt
11-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Use Rosco paint color, that is for keying.
They have fabric as well.

Gpin
11-01-2002, 10:57 PM
To add to the previous post :
I used few types of different green screen, but the best result came from the Rosco paint. It's cheaper too.
Go to an harware store and look for some large sheets of paper (don't know the specs, but ask for paintable paper)

Paint your surface.....and you'll have a pro green screen the size you want.

Carefull, this is a very intense color, spills are intense.

orionsbelt
11-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Yes, if you going to by paper, buy paper role that they use as drop paint cover or cardboard box.
Cardboard is eazy to put up on some wall. If you have some 500W lamp you can just use a green filter on light to add more high temperature green to level out the paint, it's getting more soft.

Landon
11-05-2002, 05:58 PM
I have shot green screen many times and blue screen a cuple times.... with blue it's easier to get rid of the spill but I find that green key's better at least for me"in Combustion" make sure that you object or talent is at least 15-20 feet infront of the blue screen and even that is close. Try to get an even light all across the screen. Light you object of talent at least an F-stop difference from the background "in this case the blue screen". Make sure your talent does not move there fingers alot this will help you in the event of webbed hands.... plus were contrasting colours... if your not sure what is contrast to the screen colour look at a colour wheel... good luck I could go more in to depth about camera's height and stuff like that if you want but I gonna end here.... one key point has to do with how you capture the footage is how easy it will be to key,

Good Luck
Combustion Lover
Landon

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.