PDA

View Full Version : MPEG2 editing?

BRUTICUS
05-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Im converting footage from DVDs and I need to edit it in premiere or another editing package. However right now in Premiere the sound does not want to match up with my video footage. Im guessing this is an Mpeg2 issue? I have bee renaming the VOB files to MPG. I can't find a way to convert it otherwise. Maybe I need to turn the MPG file into uncompressed? That would be huge files tho since I have a lot of footage to work with.

Can anyone recommend a good codec and maybe a good way to get it into that codec?

Im editing old 80s animation footage, the quality doesn't have to be great, just decent, a good workable codec.

Thanks!

Rainer K
05-24-2005, 09:32 PM
ok i would suggest NOT simply renaming the vob files to mpg's, it doesn't quite work like that.

You really need to use a piece of software in between. There are many out there I recommend one called TMPGEnc. This software takes the vob files and will convert them into whatever file format you choose.

I usually work in DV Avi or uncompressed avi. However i usually only pull 20-30 seconds at a time, and as space is likely and issue with you, i would recommend in your case using MPEG. This is simply a matter of choosing the option in the TMPGEnc software.
You can then choose to output the audio also in whatever format you choose. So use .wav for best results.

Thus you have an MPG and a WAV you can pull into premiere or vegas or whatever, and everything should line up perfectly.

BRUTICUS
05-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Thanks Rainer, im using that software now and it seems pretty decent. However the audio is still slipping away from the video.

I still have to try seperating the two first. But im realizing that it is the MPG videeo that is playing at different and unpredictable speeds in premiere so it might be hard to get to work.

Im wondering how do you get 20 seconds at a time of footage? It seeeems to only give me the option of converting an entire file,..

BRUTICUS
05-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Do I have to then export the video to uncompressed? When I play the MPG in the timeline it plays all fast.

weird,...

scrimski
05-25-2005, 04:08 PM
As MPEG is a storage codec I wouldn't recommend it for editing. Try QT MotionJPEG B or QT PNG.

BRUTICUS
05-25-2005, 09:32 PM
OK, how do I get an MPEG into that format?

Rainer K
05-26-2005, 08:48 AM
if your mpeg is playing at different and unpredictable speeds, then perhaps the problem is greater than you think.

Is this a problem you have encountered on previous DVD's that you have tried to obtain footage from? OR is it purely this DVD.

Does the DVD play normally with a player (ie in Windows/OS-X) on your computer?

There shouldn't be any reason why the footage is playing back at varying speeds, that is very unusual!

Have you tried importing the footage as simple Uncompressed AVI?

I would recommend copying the entire VIDEO_TS directory (found on the DVD when you Browse in explorer) to your Hard-Disk, and work with it there, as there maybe some playback problems with your DVD-Player.

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2005, 08:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.