PDA

View Full Version : Houdini Mantra question

Algoris
05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone!

I want to ask if Houdini Mantra renderer can fill in the needs which can be done with Pixar Renderman. Is it worth to change from Mantra to Renderman or is the Mantra as good as Renderman?

Second question: I also want to know, if the Houdini compositor is as good as for example Digital Fusion or Aplle's Shake.
I hope someone can answer my questions.
See ya!

Akryls
05-24-2005, 08:34 PM
From what I know, Renderman is faster for motion blur and displacement... they both subdivide nurbs/subdivisation surfaces into micro subpixels polygons. Both don't like heavy polygon geometry, they handle much better subdivisions surfaces and nurbs.

The houdini compositor have a good tile based render engine, like shake, and can handle high resolutions without problems. It have an extremely powerfull expression and procedural animation system (shake have good build in expressions support too, but not as powerfull).
I personnaly prefer Shake, which have a wider access to third party plugins and is more standard in the industry... About the painting/rotoscopy/tracking tools, shake have good ones, but I never used houdini for this kind of work so I don't know.

arctor
05-24-2005, 08:45 PM
it really depends on what you are doing...that goes for both questions...

mantra is a very good renderer, fully featured and pretty fast and obviously works really well in Houdini....

Halo is pretty damn good...I'm not sure I'd use it right now for an entire feature film...but again, it depends on your needs...

what kind of project(s) are you thinking to use Houdini for?

Algoris
05-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Well. I need Houdini for professional work. Modelling, texturing, shading and animating. High quality, rendered animations, composited with blue/green screen technic and afterworks. If I could do all this with Houdini Master, I would save much time and money, because I wouldn't have to buy compositors like Digital Fusion or Shake, and renderers like Renderman or Mental Ray. If all of those things could be done in a profesional way with Houdini, like with the softwares i mentioned (eg: Digital Fusion, Renderman), then it would be a big relief to me. But I have to be sure about this.

el_diablo
05-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Well AFAIK, Halo doesnt have motion tracking, even the most basic type. Be very carefull whe planning your pipeline, Halo might or might not be good for you. The best thing is that is fully integrated and so it has access to all the data in Houdini like motion channels, parameters etc. Rotoscoping is ok - it has variable fallof per point and other goodies, its pretty intelegent in caching data so it works quite fast. Thats just about all i know about it.

Mantra vs. Renderman? Well i never used the fullblood prman but when comparing to some render tests i did with free implementations from Maya its pretty good and holds its ground in speed and quality. I havent rendered any extreme detail scenes in Mantra though.

Overall Houdini is very capable piece of 3d graphics/animation software, prolly most capable (feature wise) of them all.

Algoris
05-25-2005, 10:34 AM
I need Houdini for professional work. Modelling, texturing, shading and animating. High quality, rendered animations, composited with blue/green screen technic and afterworks. If I could do all this with Houdini Master, I would save much time and money, because I wouldn't have to buy compositors like Digital Fusion or Shake, and renderers like Renderman or Mental Ray. If all of those things could be done in a profesional way with Houdini, like with the softwares i mentioned (eg: Digital Fusion, Renderman), then it would be a big relief to me. But I have to be sure about this.

el_diablo
05-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Even though I'm a big Houdini fan and enthusiast, I wouldnt reccomend it for small studios exclusively. Maybe for freelancers it would work ok as long as you are prepared to cut some corners. What I mean by that is that no software can substitute alone a well thought out pipeline of different softwares. As I am at about the same place currently as you (i presume its a studio startup) I already did my research and just about finished my shopping list. I already said this in another thread so i'll just link it here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=205619&page=2&pp=15

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2005, 10:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.