PDA

View Full Version : Subsurface Scattering Lookup Texture

ajm000
05-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Hello there Gurus, Masters, and Newbies like me. I was wondering if you have a subsurface scattering Lookup Texture preferrably in TGA format. I have an Anisotropic Lookup Texture but unfortunately I need the one which produces the subsurface scattering effect. If such a texture exists please let me know. I will be using it for my Cg/OpenGL program and I will gladly show you the results in due time. Thank you very much in advance.

arnecls
05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Do you have an article which discribes that such a texture is possible? Afair subsurface-scattering is an immense complex function (many degrees of freedom - 20 if I count correctly) and I don't think you can put all this information in a texture ...

ajm000
05-26-2005, 03:07 AM
I only know of articles that render the light map to texture then blurs the light map to get a subsuface scattering effect. But it's just a clever hack and I was wondering how it would be like to do something a little more complex. So I started thinking about it and I am now figuring out a way to use several textures to achieve such effect. I was thinking if I could reduce the number of degrees of freedom in some clever way or if I could approximate the subsurface rendering equation as a sum of equations with less variables then probably I could use fewer texture tables to give an approximate effect. I'm still far from enlightenment so any insights about this idea would be very very very helpful. Thanks for your comments ^_^ Please keep them comming.

playmesumch00ns
05-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Doing the blurred light map is probably your best bet. If you mix between a red-tinted blurred light map and normal unblurred shading at about a 70:30 ratio, you should get a reasonable effect.

You can't just use a lookup texture like you do for anisotropic shading because the subsurface illumination depends on light hitting the surface at nearby points. This is what the blurred light map gives you.

Inept
06-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Check out
http://www.research.scea.com/gdc2003/spherical-harmonic-lighting.html

with respect to examples like:
http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615000/vids_1.html
(Doc Oc tech demo)

ajm000
06-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Wow thanks very much for all of everyone's advice, it will be very helpful. I'll check it out right away. ^_^

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2005, 08:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.