PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Earth "Trakk" Trailer

el diablo
10-12-2002, 10:11 PM
here is a link to the Trakk trailer I worked on at Stan Winstons.

Mutant Earth (http://www.stanwinstoncreatures.com)

I did character and weapon modeling, setup (along with Micheal Isner at Softimage), and TD work. All done in XSI.....el diablo

Edin
10-12-2002, 11:55 PM
Sweeeeeeeet..... :airguitar

:)

el diablo
10-13-2002, 12:04 AM
forgot the credits:

Aaron Sims - Art Director/Texture Supervisor/Animator/TD
Andre Bustonaby-VFX Supervisor
Randal Rosa-Animation Supervisor
Terry Wolfinger-Texture Artist
Jim Charmatz-Texture Artist

tex360
10-13-2002, 01:30 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: yeah i was just reading about this on insidecg. Very cool guys, extremely well done, i want to be like you guys... heheh. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

A MacVey
10-13-2002, 01:38 AM
i love this trailer! i am confused on what the trailer is for, is it for alonger film?

stephen2002
10-13-2002, 02:01 AM
that is quite good!

the mussles seem to be a bit over exagerated is the only thing that looks odd to me. But there are no skinning issues, no textures are stretching, and nothing seems to pinch. Very good.

The animation is great, you can really "feal" that the guy is big and heavy. However, for the amount of flame spitting out of that big gun, it seems to need more recoil.

It would be nice to see some features in the eyes...

Stimpy
10-13-2002, 02:40 AM
theres also an article on softimage.com for those interested...

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag/CS/VOLUME_2/Issue_8/3.htm

havent seen the trailer yet, first time around my quicktime player just wouldnt play the damn file.. :(

downloading the movie again right now.. what i DID see looked awesome

el diablo
10-13-2002, 09:28 PM
i am confused on what the trailer is for, is it for a longer film?
the trailer is primarily to serve as a promo for the Trakk action figure and the Mutant Earth comics. However, it also serves as a marketing vehicle for the planned feature film.

the muscles seem to be a bit over exagerated. That is the only thing that looks odd to me.
he is a mutant. actually his leftside from torso up is 1/3rd larger than his right.

It would be nice to see some features in the eyes...
again he is a mutant, so no pupil or iris. The toy line and comic is called Mutant Earth.

the greatest thing about the whole project is that it took a hand full of people 6 weeks to do it and it turned out great. Also thanks to the guys over at Softimage....el diablo

Dragon
10-14-2002, 01:48 AM
Hey el diablo,

I noticed on your site you have posted the arm and figure rendered out using maya's displacement.... there seems to be some faceting going on, yet I don't see a thing in the trailer. Was it rendered out in Mental Ray or Maya?
A friend of mine is doing a little playing around in mental ray for Maya and showed me some tests.... the displacements are beautiful and fast.
Looks sweet by the way. Awsome work as always.

Take care,

Nikodemus
10-14-2002, 02:21 AM
the trailer is loading.. you work at stan winston studio? thats awesome! i always wanted to go to that place and work there since seeing it on movie magic years and years ago :) i think all the minitures and monsters and robots really got me into movie special effects and art :D perhaps with some luck i will get to work there one day
i comment on the trailer once it loads ...

that was really cool... the models and textures look great.. that arm shot is kinda creepy it looked to perfect :D
good work to you and your team

el diablo
10-14-2002, 04:59 AM
I noticed on your site you have posted the arm and figure rendered out using maya's displacement.... there seems to be some faceting going on, yet I don't see a thing in the trailer. Was it rendered out in Mental Ray or Maya?
Hey Dave. The rendering on my site is a straight Maya render. We used XSI/MR on the trailer.

you work at stan winston studio?
Not now. Right now I am at Sony Pictures Imageworks working on Polar Express.

Scarecrovv
10-14-2002, 09:05 AM
I'm surprised Stan Winston put his name to this. It's really quite average.

I mean, it's not bad. It's just not what I'd expect from someone like Stan Winston.

Crow

mickatt
10-14-2002, 02:23 PM
I see the model on your site el diablo (the modeling is incredible)and the combination of modeling and displacement are perfect !!!!

Did you use nurbs to model the character ?? or polygon or both ??
could you post some other view of the model or a wireframe view please ??
I would like to know if the displacement screenshot on your site was done with maya rendering or renderman ??
thanx you for your answer you did a great job and the trailer was fantastic !!!

Obsidian
01-21-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm a big fan of Stan's toyline, but sadly SWC is on hiatus at the moment. I enjoyed this animation, and am probably the only person to have to a fan drawing of Trakk...it's cool to see that one of the persons responsible for the CG animation posts here. I'm curious though, are the models and assets you used property of SWC, or can you use them for your own stuff later on like in a personal demo reel with new animation on it?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.