PDA

View Full Version : Rhino forum channel open! Forum Leaders

tilite
05-24-2005, 04:53 AM
So with the Blur Q&A and all this starwars talk atm i really am not expecting that much of a response to this thread... mainly a general opinion of cgtalk users and a response from admin here at cgtalk.com.

So the problem is there is nowhere on this site to vent your rhino issues. i have always wanted this forum to open but never knew there were enough people... until they started emerging in the last fwe days.

Rhino is a excellent program NURBS modeling program the has advantages over if not all modeling programs... and disadvantages too, like anything. Being a NURBS modeling program it is very precise and the RMIT defualt program for courses such as architecture and industrial design (and im sure countless other elite schools worldwide)

Rhino's website is www.rhino3d.com (http://www.rhino3d.com) and here you can find the potential rhino has in the gallery section, this site also provides good help from the professionals, not the best support but good, but all 3D modelers i know prefer to be surrounded by peers, yes??

This is also directed to the admin here at cgtalk as this has been suggested before and apparently a forum channel has been opened and then closed, well this thread/poll is to convice admin that it can be supported. I personally know several Rhino modelers, including myself, that would be more that happy to volunteer to moderate the channel even if it is only for a test period.

If your are a supporter of the idea please after you place your vote, post a message as this get pushed back to the top of the gerneral disscusion pile and can have the exposure it deserves. Also please sign to this tread as i hope to have a contious conversation running.

Cheers
Tom

leigh
05-24-2005, 05:45 AM
I seem to remember that we had a Rhino forum at one point, but it didn't get any visitors, so we shut it down. I am sorry, but I really do not see enough of a demand to justify it. There is a NURBS modelling subforum under the modelling forum - perhaps that will be of use to you.

mummey
05-24-2005, 05:50 AM
True, wouldn't this thread belong in the 'Suggestions' forum anyways?

tilite
05-24-2005, 05:56 AM
leigh i apreciate u getting back to me promptly... good to see ther is some admin attention. what are the possibilities of getting a channel started? i wasnt a member when there was a rhino channel here but i have been told of it. im sur ei even mentioned it in my opening post.

but my point is that times have changed and the memberbase has certianly grown.. now with the addition support of cgs cgnetworks certainly isnt in any danger of anything... i propose an eye is kept on this thread by admin and possible in a day or two it can then be discussed with a certian level of attention... be none, i will certainly fold, be it exceptable then i do hope we can talk.

i respect your opinion and i know this will be a struggle i am jsut thankful i have taken not of your disclaimer in your sig.

Rhino is the most powerful NURBS modeling program and i do think it deserves more attention on the largest CG forum in the world!!

Ok i will stop now but i would like you to come back in a day or two and see the response.

tom

edy: the suggestions channel doesnt recieve the member mass i need to get a decent response.

OamadeusO
05-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Would be nice to have an area where we can discuss rhino in a more creative enviroment than the other places out there that focus more on technical issues.

Rooka
05-24-2005, 08:59 AM
:thumbsup:
I agree with OamadeusO, I'd like too a Rhino place on CGTalk.

wild-brendan
05-24-2005, 09:01 AM
I'd love 2 have a Rhino3D channel, but it probably wont happen

RMIT...elite?...wouldn't quite give it that title, atleast it is kinda like uni :rolleyes: Rhino is not a precision tool by any means. It is a cheap means to get the job done.

Back to the Rhino3D channel thing, i think some1 wanted it b4 and was denied, same for some other specific tutorial stuff.

tilite
05-24-2005, 09:10 AM
brendan ur killing me here... lol

yes RMIT isnt elite but i study architecture and it is know as one of if not the best school of architecture in australia :D and yes i may have given rhino a large rep but it is an extreemly powerful modeling program... i know i couldnt live without it.

thank you for ur response, brendan it will happen (possiive mindset)
haha

thanks guys tell ur friends :thumbsup:

edt: i may be slightly biosed but such is life :D

Rani
05-24-2005, 09:18 AM
I give it two thumbs up.
I use rhino for pretty much all the modelling I do and I would be more then happy to have a high quality forum here on cgtalk to discuss rhino-related issues.

tilite
05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
please ignore the admin votes atm... they were posted by dirty (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=64421) and ??? (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=48327)

who, as far as i know are just morons voting and are not admin... well i may be wrong if i am please correct me.

Leonard
05-24-2005, 09:22 AM
There's no conspiracy against Rhino. We used to have a forum (long time ago) and nobody used it. Apparantly the official Rhino forums run by the developers is still the best. It's useless for us to have a forum with no activity, so we shut it down. If you can convince us otherwise, we'll gladly open one again. Vote away.

Leonard

wild-brendan
05-24-2005, 09:24 AM
... time for a petition?

sign me up!

tilite
05-24-2005, 09:27 AM
thank you leonard

i didnt believe that there ever was a conspiracy against rhino i just thought the most effective way to get my message across was powerful words. all i simply want to do is prove there is a member base out there on cgtalk that would be ussing it. thanks for the concern

OamadeusO
05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Ok heres my pitch for a Rhino forum. I'am just learning the thing so I cant comment on it being the best etc. However its the only 3D prog demo that I have stuck with and working through tutorials. The appeal to be is its like Adobe illustrator but in 3D. Yeah I know its not realy but Bezier curves and nurbs seem pretty similar to me.

I know there is an offical Rhino forum but the group dynamic seems to be more on the engineering/CAD side of things. Far enough thats what the program was created for.

I see Rhino as an industrial tool that could be used for great creative purposes and this seems like the places to express them.

I can understand the reluctance to set up a channel that wont get used and maybe it will be a bit slow to start with. But once word of mouth spreads and the rhino forum starts popping up in Google searches I think you'll find more and more people joining.

And as for the non Rhino users here. It's just going to take one killer picture posted to make people think hmmm maybe I'll give that a go.

Think of it like this. A sculpter may use industrial tools.
Graffiti artists use industrial car paints.
The history of art is ful of examples where industrial tools are co-opted to serve artists.
Lets get this one well and truely co-opted up the ying yang:thumbsup:

And as I said in the last Rhino poll.. Go on give us a forum, be your mate if you do!

Rani
05-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Just wondering, how many votes are needed so the new forum will be made?

tilite
05-24-2005, 10:43 AM
i agree completely with OamadeusO i think with possible everything that he said too.

rani there is no set number of votes needed to get the channel. what we need to do is prove that there is demand for the channel and im sure admin will be more than happy to open one.

atm there is a problem and that is sitting here in the suggestions channel. no on ever view this we will never get any votes here. we have to get the poll moved back to general discussion

Khorram
05-24-2005, 11:33 AM
I would be pleased to find a forum about Rhino and Nurb modelling. There are many users and mostley professionals from the industry. And it would be a good idea to discuss Nurb modelling issues specifically somewhere here in CG Talk.

It also would turn more attention to CG Talk for providing a good place for those who are interested in Nurb modelling and Rhino.

Quite professional.

sabaman
05-24-2005, 12:00 PM
id be here more often if there was a rhino forum,

im a rhino strictly user, love it, plus its gaining popularity by the day,

so im with it, 2 thumbs up,.....

tyio
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
110 % for support it !!

please, make it ^^

tilite
05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
excellent!

we need to get this thread more exposure... any ideas?? im trying to get it moved back to general discussion but i dont really know how??

but in the mean time i hope all of your mouths double in side cos it dominently word of mouth
but keep it up we need these votes

OamadeusO
05-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Just thought of another good reason to have a channel for Rhino on this board.

It would be good to be able to discuss how rhino can be used in conjunction with other programs. Say modeling in Rhino then texturing in Cinema or max etc.

Oh and if a Rhino channel is create i'll sign up for paid membership of this board:D
Hows that for a bribe?

paraglidepip
05-24-2005, 12:54 PM
i always wondered y theres no Rhino Forum here,there are plenty of very talented rhino artists around and im sure there would be a lot of traffic...u got my vote! :thumbsup:

furo
05-24-2005, 01:46 PM
There's no conspiracy against Rhino. We used to have a forum (long time ago) and nobody used it. Apparantly the official Rhino forums run by the developers is still the best. It's useless for us to have a forum with no activity, so we shut it down. If you can convince us otherwise, we'll gladly open one again. Vote away.

Leonard

i don't understand,how many ppl have to vote, cause in my older rhinoceros poll (in suggestions section), it's was a result 42:9 for specified rhino forum,and it's not enough? this is second thread started from us to get rhino forum,so can you tell me how many votes is necessary to start it again?

crearte
05-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

Well it would be great to have a Rhino Channel, I'm sure many of us uses rhino, why not give it another chance and see if this time it works.

tilite
05-24-2005, 02:32 PM
paraglidepip & furo & crearte thankyou for joining the rhino quest... haha love the hummer btw furo:thumbsup:

in response to your question (that im sure was directed at leonard) i dont know i hvnt had a personal conversation with him... the problem is that here there isnt much exposure and we need that.

if/once the forum starts so many ppl will come to cgtalk tho... its just getting them here now to vote thats the issue.

i not sure but i think the problem with the previous poll was no admin saw.. i mean wiro voted and he is forum leader (now dont know about then)... im not sure... ill going to PM wiro and wee if he wants to vote here now.. he is online

Wiro
05-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Leigh, there is no NURBS modelling forum. Or if there is, it's not part of the modelling forum where it sould belong.

I think a NURBS subforum would be more benificial than a specific Rhino forum. NURBS modelling isn't as widespread as it used to be and I think it would help more if all related resources were pooled together.
With that said I still like to use Rhino for specific tasks so it's certainly not dead to me. I'd be interested in participating.

I vote no for a Rhino forum but yes for a NURBS subforum

Wiro

tilite
05-24-2005, 03:16 PM
wiro i do like that suggestion.

i think that is a perfect compromise.. however i wish u voted yes:sad: lol
i knew i shouldnt have put that admin option in.. 2 bogus and well i dont know what to call ur vote wiro.

well i would love to participate in a NURBS modeling channel... that certianly doesnt exclude rhino it only builds on what we are trying to set up.

wiro are you able to talk to somebody??? in the meantime please dont stop voting

Leonard
05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
I've started a Rhino forum:
http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174

Please please please - get all your friends to come and use this forum. It needs enough activity on it to justify its existence. If some of you could please go to the respective Rhino communities and newsgroups, and point people to this new forum, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Leonard

Wiro
05-24-2005, 03:41 PM
There you go then :D

Wiro

Leonard
05-24-2005, 03:47 PM
i don't understand,how many ppl have to vote, cause in my older rhinoceros poll (in suggestions section), it's was a result 42:9 for specified rhino forum,and it's not enough? this is second thread started from us to get rhino forum,so can you tell me how many votes is necessary to start it again?

For a Rhino forum specifically, I'd have wanted to see an overwhelming response of both votes and actual Rhino users posting to say that they want a forum. Please note that 49 people who voted 'yes' for a Rhino forum does not necessarily represent 49 people who actually USE Rhino and will participate on the forum (though it is easy to assume this). From the look of things, I can count only a handful of users who are making all the noise about starting a Rhino forum. I would actually be really happy if the Rhino forum takes off.

Furthermore, we have had no contact whatsoever with the developers of Rhino 3D for years. Not a single press release, news, request for advertising, or anything from them. I wonder if they know that we even exist still. I'll have to attempt to establish contact again.

In stark contrast, the majority of the app specific forums here on CGTalk are supported by the companies that develop the software, with their staff constantly looking at the forums and assisting with moderation and community building. With a Rhino forum, we might have no such privilege and it may once again, falter and die due to lack of interest when the novelty wears off for you folk and all the regular users go back to the official forums/newsgroups. (it's happened before...the ZBrush forum was popular for about a month then everyone went back to ZBrushCentral)

I do sincerely hope that you guys can make use of this new forum, and will get more activity going in it! I'm not against hosting forums on CGTalk, but I would like to actually see them being used!

All the best,

Leonard

colintheys
05-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks Leonard! I was just coming to put in my vote for the forum. I didn't even know cgtalk existed (poor me) when the old forum was around and I used to use Rhino a LOT. I don't use it uite as much anymore, but I think there's a community of people out there who do and I hope this forum will work out. :D I'll head over and post now!

-Colin

furo
05-24-2005, 04:40 PM
thanks leonard for explanation.. i understand your standings, so now when new rhino forum is active again, it'll be addition to all of us, for begginers and skilled users too.. so i hope, activity there will be enough for trouble-free running.. thanks for your trust in rhino community

tilite
05-24-2005, 04:57 PM
excellent thank you leonard...

i to really hope this kicks off.. im sure there will be teething issues but if word spreads it will be brilliant..

im not making a big deal of this but a few weeks ago wasnt there a 'clay tool release' article for the next version of rhino on the cgnetworks homepage.

any who.. thanks alot... i really hope for the best

DeadbutDreaming
05-24-2005, 09:43 PM
yeah! rhinoceros forum is a must in CG-Talk.so i can post something heheheh!

Leonard
05-24-2005, 10:23 PM
excellent thank you leonard...

i to really hope this kicks off.. im sure there will be teething issues but if word spreads it will be brilliant..

im not making a big deal of this but a few weeks ago wasnt there a 'clay tool release' article for the next version of rhino on the cgnetworks homepage.

any who.. thanks alot... i really hope for the best

Claytools is not made by Robert McNeel and Associates. It is made by Sensable Technologies, totally different company.

Leonard

tilite
05-25-2005, 03:06 AM
ok so if you missed it the forum is open... check it out

http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2005, 03:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.