PDA

View Full Version : u guys shold do soemthign

jazzman121
10-12-2002, 10:15 PM
hey! why dont you guys come together and start a website with combustion tutorials everyyybody will come to your site... coz there is not even a single site with good amount of
tutorials... i mean you guys really know your stuff....

im a newbiee.. i do a lotta web design and flash ... im jsut gettin into combustion............. im gonna sit on combustion 24/7 now... untill i learn it.... :) thanks for your help guys

wireFrame
10-14-2002, 02:04 AM
http://www.fxguide.com

You'll learn something here.

phatgroovn
10-14-2002, 03:47 AM
fxguide.com is definitely rockin :airguitar

However I'm wondering at the prospect of a c2 only site? Kinda doubtful, the c2 section on highend2d.com is pretty dead, as is the listserve too.

wireFrame
10-14-2002, 05:06 AM
I'm not sure if there is someone who's going to develop a c2* only site anytime soon. The software is still young. As of now it's pretty mush of getting to know this software or picking among those several compositing apps that are older than c2*. You could probably learn more in the discreet user groups.

FxGuide definitely rocks. I remember few years back that I copied the whole site and printed it on paper! It used to be a discreet product-centered site but due to sponsorship problems, it included other apps in it to broaden its audience/members.

My opinion is... as a professional compositor, I don't use one app. There are other people whose in the same boat too and combustion is just one of those tools. The principle in getting the work done is similar in all of those apps.

Maybe, all you hardcore c2* users out there should definitely put a dedicated site. I'll be glad to be a contributing member.

wireFrame
vfx compositor
ffi+smoke
manila

beenyweenies
10-14-2002, 11:08 PM
If I were to post the cash and resources to produce a c2 DVD instructional, how many of you more experienced users would be willing to contribute useful info/tips/tricks in return for royalties and credit?

I currently run a small production shop, and one area we greatly desire to break into is instructional media. I have been looking into doing something for c2 since its birth, and I personally prefer educational media that brings together the talents and ideas of multiple users, rather than one guy's methods being presented as "the way it's done."

I have pro facilities to produce such a dvd, and I would get this ball rolling ASAP if the support is there....

Pls reply, this could be a great opportunity.

phatgroovn
10-15-2002, 12:16 AM
I'd definitely be interested.

jazzman121
10-15-2002, 05:43 AM
im more of a flash guy........ but since broadband is increasing soo much i have seen all these webdesigingin company are gettin into compositing... and they even use composited vidoe in flash... so i can see it as the upcomming thing even on the internet.. and ofcourse for broadcast,....

and anyone knows that combustion is an amazzzzzing compositing software.... thats why i recomended it .... now is the time to get into it ...

I go to a lotta web desiging forums... a lotaaaa web deisgners have mastered flash and they want somethign more... and everyone is asking about compositing... but everyone is gettin into Affter effects coz .. they dont know about combustion...

soo if we could provide a solution at this early stage... :) like a compositing website... it will be awesome...

for eg: one of the majjjjjjor flash site.. is www.flashkit.com.... coz they started right at the beggening...... soo lets get the video revolution on the web going....

Fede
10-15-2002, 08:25 AM
I agree, it would be cool to have a DVD that teaches you real world work. The DVD set from Tech Anim is fantastic, but once you know all the buttons now what?

I think we should show how to do real world cases such as pulling a key with all the tips and dif ways of doing it, showing how to roto and which way is better for what situation and when and why you should use it, propper color correction and the theories of it, and amongst all the other great tools such as the lights and cameras which people seem to forget about.

Once the person has finished with the DVD he should be able to go out and have the competency to put toghether a decent portfolio with the experinence gained.

I'd be glad to contribute, what ever would be necessary.

jazzman121
10-15-2002, 05:24 PM
woah! that would be awesome if you could get a dvd like that out.. i will surely buy it :) guys im telling you should do this... it could really go big.... but i dont know about the DVD... thing is if you wanna make DVDs and sell em that needs a huge investment... and if you wanna add something later it will take more time... im saying... like have a website.. if you want charge people to teach em... soo you can add stuff easily and you can... charge em a monthly fee or something for subscription....

and most of all its a one time investment thats not too much.... if you want i will make the website for free..for you guys as long as i can get access to all tutorials :P soo you dont have to invest anything at all just time to make the tutorials... in quicktime or something... coz that is an awesome way of teachin online

phatgroovn
10-15-2002, 06:52 PM
well with a subscription model we'd be tied into having to update on a regular basis with new material in order to continue to make it worthwhile for paying subscribers...something that sounds easy on paper but could get quiite consuming.

With a DVD, you can make it once and then be done with it, until DVD part 2.

One other thought is to make it fairly affordable and modular. Other dvd instruction on c2 looks quite good, but is a tremendous investment.

beenyweenies
10-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Here's my take on this. The investment isn't the issue, I have investors and my own resources to take care of that... The key element for me is that free tutorials online are usually not very indepth, not as well written and concise as they could be, and in general lack the ability to show the reader what's going on in a way that video provides. It is hard to get people to commit when they are creating free tutorials, showing the world how to do things that they worked long and hard to figure out. A DVD, and YES one that is reasonably priced, would be far more effective for people's learning, and the contributors would have a chance to help the community but also be rewarded for their time and energy. This is the way it should be in my mind, and hell let's be honest there is very little out there on c2 as it now stands, so it could make some decent money in the process.

I am totally serious about pulling this project together, so anyone who has the time and skills to contribute send me an email @ beenyweenies@yahoo.com. My main investor has expressed interest in funding educational materials, knowing the market for high end tools is growing.
The idea is that each person could contribute a tip, trick or even full blown tutorial on the different elements of c2, and I will compile and present them, with your input of course.

Ultimately I'd like to do this for c2, After Effects, Maya and more.

Let's do this!

B

jazzman121
10-16-2002, 09:10 PM
woah! phatgroovn i dint think about that your rite with a website with paid subscribers you have to have good content ... well now i think the DVD is a better idea...

beenyweenies

i am ready to doo anything you want for this project... i can help... thing is i am a newbie... soo i cant help that much in combustion tutorials but i make presentation cds.. soo if you want i can make the interface for the tutorials for it... i dont wanna gettin paid even...... just give me a copy of all the DVD soo i can learn combustion;).....

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.