05-23-2005, 05:38 PM
New game from Rockstar Vancouver.
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/616/616925p1.html

Ranc0r
05-23-2005, 06:56 PM
sounds incredibly stupid imo

archerx
05-23-2005, 07:55 PM
no ! i think this sounds original! its amazing how some people are so xenophobic!

this could be good, its better than another mindless fps....

Heber
05-23-2005, 08:07 PM
sounds interesting to me , always good to see new and original ip's
hopefully it will be in the same gta style that we are used to from rockstar.

strangelife
05-23-2005, 08:47 PM
I'll reserve judgement until I see some actual gameplay, but this sounds like it could be fun. I really enjoy Rockstar's style of irreverent humor.

tozz
05-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Finally something fresh that doesn't use mindless graphics for sake of sales or exploits 10-year old ideas. Gaming needs this, even if it's good or not.

Spankspeople
05-23-2005, 09:47 PM
That's actually pretty cool.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle conflict in the game, 'cause this would bring it even closer to the school shooting area than GTA and Doom and whatnot... =P

L.Rawlins
05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Interesting concept, but this is going to go down like a lead balloon with the media on these shores. Free public exposure, yes, but unfortunately, probably to the very impressionable people who aren't 'meant' to play Rockstars type of games.

School kids.

I wonder how graphic this titles material will be? They seem to like to tread very dangerous ground at Rockstar.

PhilOsirus
05-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Well they figure out what next game to make based on what journalists will find controversial, other game makers are going to make games based on what gamers want. The last GTA was crap (15 to 20 minutes of driving to reach a save point you have to BUY, only to die and start this all over again), and other than GTA what else do they have going for?

dmonk
05-23-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm interested. The whole thing about this concept is it depends entirely on how they handle it.

You can't deny that it's not an original concept. Some people get a bit touchy at the slightest hint of controversy. IF it looks like it will suck, I'll stay away, I think this one might catch everyone off guard and becme a hit.

Different is good!

Manji
05-23-2005, 10:57 PM
The concept sounds nice, a bit of "Harry Potter on steroids". I just hope they don't become the "we make games to piss of religious/uptight types" gaming company. Perhaps they are getting a bit scared about their major license becoming outdated.

L.Rawlins
05-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Given that it hasn't gone online 'officially' yet, I'd say there was quite a bit of potential life in the GTA franchise yet.

DigiLusionist
05-24-2005, 12:05 AM
The idea for the game sounds like someone's trying to work out unresolved issues from high school.

Once this game's released, Rockstar will probably announce their next groundbreaking endeavor: "General Population." In it, you'll be 'freshmeat' who arrives at a maximum security prison, and you have to avoid getting gang raped, shanked, and inducted into a racial gang while doing your time as a model inmate in order to improve your chances for parole.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

Spankspeople
05-24-2005, 12:14 AM
The idea for the game sounds like someone's trying to work out unresolved issues from high school.

Once this game's released, Rockstar will probably announce their next groundbreaking endeavor: "General Population." In it, you'll be 'freshmeat' who arrives at a maximum security prison, and you have to avoid getting gang raped, shanked, and inducted into a racial gang while doing your time as a model inmate in order to improve your chances for parole.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

If the whole goal of the game was to avoid doing anything wrong at all costs, I think that'd be quite a fun title. Amusing to imagine, at the very least. =P

Neil
05-24-2005, 03:04 AM
If this game is just GTA with a kid, i'll be really burned out.
I have a feeling he's gonna run around and chose what "troublemaker" groups to join and steal lunch money and steal school buses and stuff. That's my guess atleast.

Ghostscape
05-24-2005, 03:17 AM
no ! i think this sounds original! its amazing how some people are so xenophobic!
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Xenophobic

This game sounds exactly like my experience in public school.

I think this could go either way, but I'm not sure why this is considered controversial? I didn't see anything in the blurb about beating the shit out of hookers or whatever else they use when talking about how controversial GTA is.

It will probably be GTA:Juvenile Hall edition, but the blurb makes it sound more like a life-sim type of thing.

I'd love to play that General Population game if they had Brian Azzarello writing for it.

Q_B
05-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Finally something fresh that doesn't use mindless graphics for sake of sales or exploits 10-year old ideas. Gaming needs this, even if it's good or not.

LOL well, actually, there was a nice lill game on the good old Spectrum called School Daze that had just about the same plot line ... but without the graphix possibilities eheheh so... u better revise that post of yours ;)

http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/monkian_2000/games/spectrum/screens/SkoolDaze.gif

Ahhhh the joy! LOL!

tozz
05-24-2005, 09:58 AM
LOL well, actually, there was a nice lill game on the good old Spectrum called School Daze that had just about the same plot line ... but without the graphix possibilities eheheh so... u better revise that post of yours ;)
Ahhhh the joy! LOL!

But it's older than 10 years! ;)

Well they figure out what next game to make based on what journalists will find controversial, other game makers are going to make games based on what gamers want. The last GTA was crap (15 to 20 minutes of driving to reach a save point you have to BUY, only to die and start this all over again), and other than GTA what else do they have going for?

Isn't the GTA games one of the best selling titles in the world ever? Even better then Final Fantasy and Zelda... That'd would count as something gamers want, no? :)

PSX Take 2 Grand Theft Auto 2 1.15
PS2 Take 2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 6.47
PS2 Take 2 Grand Theft Auto 3 5.51
PS2 Take 2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 5.14
PSX Sony** Final Fantasy VII 2.45
PSX Squaresoft Final Fantasy VIII 1.91
PSX Squaresoft Final Fantasy IX 1.34
PS2 Squaresoft Final Fantasy X 2.22
PS2 Squaresoft Kingdom Hearts 2.24
PS2 Squaresoft Final Fantasy X-2 1.29
XB Microsoft Halo 2 4.29
XB Microsoft Halo: Combat Evolved 3.94
N64 Nintendo Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3.57

Million units sold (I don't have any way to verify this but it seems correct). Based on sold games I would say Rockstar has a quite good idea of what gamers want ;)

archerx
05-24-2005, 10:30 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Xenophobic

This game sounds exactly like my experience in public school.

I think this could go either way, but I'm not sure why this is considered controversial? I didn't see anything in the blurb about beating the shit out of hookers or whatever else they use when talking about how controversial GTA is.

It will probably be GTA:Juvenile Hall edition, but the blurb makes it sound more like a life-sim type of thing.

I'd love to play that General Population game if they had Brian Azzarello writing for it.

i used xenophobic because the first poster was afraid of something new/diffrent

adj : suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of the strange or foreign

Lunatique
05-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Very promising. I'm glad that developers are trying different things. Can't wait to see how this turns out. It would be great if they designed it so that you had to make choices between loyalty to friendship, or doing the right thing--plus all the other things young people face in a chaotic social environment like the school campus.

Q_B
05-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Ehrrr ... i'd go more for a "Spectrum - School Daze" aproach and go for the stink bombs in the classroom and the casual pick-a-fight in the playground. ;)

SaucyJack
05-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Skool Daze was amazing as was the sequel Back2Skool. I really hope they do something along these lines.

Neil
05-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Based on sold games I would say Rockstar has a quite good idea of what gamers want ;)

They also put out "State of Emergency" and "Manhunt". Manhunt has to go down in history as one of the most pointlessly violent games EVER.

tozz
05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
They also put out "State of Emergency" and "Manhunt". Manhunt has to go down in history as one of the most pointlessly violent games EVER.

And so has every other gaming company in the world (created pure shit that is), your point is? (of course, there's a few exeptions, but they're easily counted on one hand).

PhilOsirus
05-24-2005, 03:38 PM
But it's older than 10 years! ;)

Isn't the GTA games one of the best selling titles in the world ever? Even better then Final Fantasy and Zelda... That'd would count as something gamers want, no? :)

PSX Take 2 Grand Theft Auto 2 1.15
PS2 Take 2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 6.47
PS2 Take 2 Grand Theft Auto 3 5.51
PS2 Take 2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 5.14
PSX Sony** Final Fantasy VII 2.45
PSX Squaresoft Final Fantasy VIII 1.91
PSX Squaresoft Final Fantasy IX 1.34
PS2 Squaresoft Final Fantasy X 2.22
PS2 Squaresoft Kingdom Hearts 2.24
PS2 Squaresoft Final Fantasy X-2 1.29
XB Microsoft Halo 2 4.29
XB Microsoft Halo: Combat Evolved 3.94
N64 Nintendo Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3.57

Million units sold (I don't have any way to verify this but it seems correct). Based on sold games I would say Rockstar has a quite good idea of what gamers want ;)

If that was true then many of their OTHER titles would have been huge sellers. That's why I said OTHER than GTA, what do they have going for?

AnimBot
05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm amazed at how consistently the people on these forums form such strong opinions with little to no information. Already people are talking about how controversial and violent this is. Read the description of the game.

"Mixing drama and comedy into a single story, Bully follows a schoolboy named Jimmy Hopkins and his adventures in the fictitional "Bullworth Academy." Corrupt from the inside out, the school is overflowing with crooked higher-ups, wicked schoolmates, and a whole mess of bothersome bullies. Throughout this escapade, Jimmy will have to stand up to cruel classmates, pursue a love interest, put up with teachers that pick on him, and play pranks on a mess of annoying little buggers from all over the campus."

Rockstar claims it's very different from anything they've done before. If anything after reading this I would think there would be comments like ,Rockstar's gone soft they're making a safe GTA for kids, or something like that. I may be dead wrong perhaps it does end up being controversial and incredibly violent but why start these claims when you have absolutely no information to base it off of?

capone_adam
05-24-2005, 04:35 PM
There are SO many possibilitys with this. I would predict there will be no blood at all. For 'battles' you will probably use something more like a peashooter/stinkbombs/electrichand buzzer. I think they will set it in earlier times, probably have teachers that chase after you with canes.

Its the perfect idea for media promotion, its going to get so much attention. As long as rockstar don't cross the line and continue to make fun of the subject then its onto good things. Only problem is that its not made by rockstar north is it?

AnimBot
05-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Don't mistake "what gamers want" for what you want. Based off your assesment of the game I would say you didn't get very far. I just beat San Andreas this past monday at 91% and 121 hours of play and have been playing it over the course of a year, and I'm still playing it. I have never played a console game that offered this much play time, and have never played a game this epic. It exceeded my expectations. 15 to 20 minutes to a save point is an exageration even at the beginning of the game. Once you get some money you can buy all the save points you want. If you played the game enough you also realise it's much easier than any other gta to bring down your star rating, get out of jail without losing your weapons, and get out of hospitals without losing your weapons, meaning you no longer have to be so worried about save points. You just have to be willing to put the time in to find that out. When I finally beat the game I was kind of shocked at how easy everything became.

PhilOsirus
05-24-2005, 05:55 PM
I didn't say GTA SA was not what gamers wanted, but that Rockstar has GTA and very little else going.

dmonk
05-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I didn't say GTA SA was not what gamers wanted, but that Rockstar has GTA and very little else going.

Red dead revolver, Midnight ?????? DUB EDITION (very Popular), a couple of other titles I can't think of off the top of my head.

THey Do very well with the audience they target. I wouldn't sleep on Rockstar, they are doing quite well without being a huge corporate entity like other game companies.

Just because it's no to your taste, doesn't mean their aren't plenty of people who love their games.

Frank Lake
05-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Hey, it's an URBAN Harry Potter! :scream: Well it looks like they'll be able to use most of their other GTA models for this game, if they keep the current design style.

I'm in "wait and see" mode for this game.

Neil
05-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm amazed at how consistently the people on these forums form such strong opinions with little to no information. Already people are talking about how controversial and violent this is. Read the description of the game.

You are right. We all do make quick assumptions. But i think it's just based off of their reputation. It would be hard to imagine them doing a 180 and making a non violent game. (Excluding DUB and a few others, yes)

AnimBot
05-25-2005, 08:17 PM
You are right. We all do make quick assumptions. But i think it's just based off of their reputation. It would be hard to imagine them doing a 180 and making a non violent game. (Excluding DUB and a few others, yes)
Yes I understand why people are making the assumptions but my problem is the fact that the assumptions are being made in the first place. Here there is an article describing what the game is going to be like but instead of actually reading it people use it as a platform to rant about Rockstar. I myself am not a fan of the idea of "pushing the envelope" in terms of the content just for the sake of doing so. At the same time though I'll give them all the credit they deserve when they make a really good game. I don't think it makes sense for people to start slaming a game based off of their own assumptions.

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2005, 08:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.