PDA

View Full Version : The Blender Movie Project

gabio
05-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Source: Blender.org (http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=215&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

http://www.blender3d.org/_gfx/common/headers/hdr_orange_home.jpg
After months of silent work behind the scenes, I'm very proud to announce the following:
The Blender Foundation and the Netherlands Media Art Institute, Montevideo/Time Based Arts (http://www.montevideo.nl/en/index.html), have agreed on producing a 3D Animated Movie Short, to be created with the Open Source 3D suite Blender and other OS tools such as Yafray, Python, Verse, Gimp, and Cinepaint.

Open Movie
Not only will the project be realized with Open Source/Free Software, but also the resulting movie - including all the production files and software - will be published under an open public license. This makes it an exciting premiere as first ever "Open Movie" project!
The movie will be rendered on film resolution, becomes available on DVD and is targeted to be transfered to film for theatres.

Studio
We will establish a temporal animation studio, in the Media Art Instute in Amsterdam, based on a core team consisting of artists as well as at least one software developer. The studio will offer positions to people based on fixed targets, which they possibly can execute in shorter periods as well. Next to this core team, contributions will be organized for volunteers to execute externally (working from own area of residence).

Production
The production will be executed during the period September 2005 - March 2006, for a maximum duration of six months. Budget and resources have been allocated for a six person workshop during the entire period. The team will be supported by the Producers' staff - like PR and production management - and external facilities like for Scripting, Rendering, Music, Voices, Audio Effects and Editing.

In my role as Executive Producer for the movie short, I have approached Bassam Kurdali to become Animation Director, and Andreas Goralczyk to become Art Director. I'm very happy both have agreed to join! Together we now work on the creative concept and will decide on completing the team.

Call for participation
In order to make this project - code named 'Orange' - to be become a huge success, we will need the support and contributions of many people. Especially in this stage, we would like to do a public call for:

- Artists / developers who like to join as 'core team member'
- Sponsors, either financial, or for equipment or rendering farms
- Software support; cooperation with other graphics based open source projects

Additional information and contact details can be found on the pages of the orange.blender.org (http://orange.blender.org/) website.

Ton Roosendaal. Amsterdam, May 23, 2005

Unled
05-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Sounds awsome! Unfortunately the only support I can give you is my best wishes. Best of luck to everyone! I can't wait to see the finished product.

L.Rawlins
05-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Thats genious. You're looking for sponsors, and you've called it 'Orange'.

And Orange are all over films. :D

Infact, if I'm not mistaken... bar the 'O' that's the same damn font-type you're using! :)

durbdk
05-24-2005, 06:14 AM
Great news, and the best of luck! Do you plan on having a dedicatd website for us to keep up with happenings and maybe see oppertunity to contribute? Might be a good idea. Good Luck!

DrFx
05-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Wow! Great idea, good luck to you! :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

Gendou
05-24-2005, 03:04 PM
It's a good intention, and I hope the group is able to make it a reality within a reasonable timeframe. Before you get into the guts of this post, first understand that I really like blender and the effort that goes into it. I'm concerned that as bold as this task sounds, it also sounds like a pipe dream.

Story Story Story ... nothing else you do is more important than that, whether you use cg or rocks and sticks to make it.
When it's done, will I have to pay for a ticket to the showing or buy the DVD? Will the group own the intellectual property or will that be public domain (GPL?)? Are the voice actors being paid for their talents? What about the animators? I assume there's capital to pay the production team and pay for the printing to film? What about the cost for mass producing the DVDs? Will this all be "free as in beer" also?
Using only "free tools" isn't a banner to wave over your head, because the effort and end product will come at a cost to both your group and the consumer.

I'd also assume that programmers will be hired to bridge the gaps or shortcomings of all the tools you mentioned in your post. For example, Yafray isn't able to produce HD rez frame fast enough to fit that timeframe. It's irrelevant if the movie is produced with open source tools (most of which don't have the ability to deal with film resolution, so I'd assume it's only going to be HD rez). Studios use the tools they best fit their needs, not because this brand-x program.

It seems like a tremendous undertaking that will require more work than already planned for. Pixar is the best animation studio because the put the story FIRST. The tools are just that and they make what they don't have. If tools or bridges are created for this project, will they be turned over to the community or held for the group?

All in all ... Good Luck in your endeavor.

Tripdragon
05-24-2005, 03:38 PM
I'd also assume that programmers will be hired to bridge the gaps or shortcomings of all the tools you mentioned in your post. For example, Yafray isn't able to produce HD rez frame fast enough to fit that timeframe. It's irrelevant if the movie is produced with open source tools (most of which don't have the ability to deal with film resolution, so I'd assume it's only going to be HD rez). Studios use the tools they best fit their needs, not because this brand-x program.

It seems like a tremendous undertaking that will require more work than already planned for. Pixar is the best animation studio because the put the story FIRST. The tools are just that and they make what they don't have. If tools or bridges are created for this project, will they be turned over to the community or held for the group?

All in all ... Good Luck in your endeavor.

Eh seeing how Ton manages Blender I dont have much hope for the tools to gett better via real paid support. IF that were to happen THEN blender would really get a boost in proper features and such. But for now it all lies in the ands of the very helpful coders that still build blender. BUT cause of that so many areas are just getting tossed about like they dont care.. cause they cant, free time is hard for them... Sooo TON Please pay some coders to fix things please...

imashination
05-24-2005, 03:51 PM
So, you have a plan to make a film, are looking for sponsors, have selected every tool you will use, but have yet to come up with a film idea?

gabio
05-24-2005, 04:51 PM
To every one who asked questions like Gendou or aren't sure about this project like Youngcat:
You have to visite the portal: http://orange.blender.org/
If you look at the planning, the story is the first thing to be worked on.
If you read carefully you'll notice that this project is backed by the Netherlands Media Art Institute, Montevideo/Time Based Arts (http://www.montevideo.nl/en/index.html). And as such the Project has enough cash to drive such project. Ton will receive the help of paid coders for this project. And He is the official representative of the BF fondation in the team, as such he will make sure to drive developement over missing tools to use blender as a production-ready package.

The real goal of this project is to produce a short movie, which will boost Open Source visibility and by puting Blender under pressure, speeding the developement and refinning the feature to be more production ready.

Hope this is more clear.
Good day!

Tripdragon
05-24-2005, 06:38 PM
To every one who asked questions like Gendou or aren't sure about this project like Youngcat:
You have to visite the portal: http://orange.blender.org/
If you look at the planning, the story is the first thing to be worked on.
If you read carefully you'll notice that this project is backed by the Netherlands Media Art Institute, Montevideo/Time Based Arts (http://www.montevideo.nl/en/index.html). And as such the Project has enough cash to drive such project. Ton will receive the help of paid coders for this project. And He is the official representative of the BF fondation in the team, as such he will make sure to drive developement over missing tools to use blender as a production-ready package.

The real goal of this project is to produce a short movie, which will boost Open Source visibility and by puting Blender under pressure, speeding the developement and refinning the feature to be more production ready.

Hope this is more clear.
Good day!

When production ramps up then i will believe it :D I just dont want to get my hopes up again just yet. Either way Good luck Ton!

artificial3D
05-24-2005, 06:47 PM
guys, there's a lot more stuff happening behind the scenes than you can imagine!
so dont worry. if there's only one person on this planet who can pull it all off, it would be Ton. :)

.andy

Gendou
05-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Guys, Ton's ability to get people to give him money are all well and good for blender dev, which, hell, I'm all for, but the fact of the matter still boils down to story. I mean, even if it's made with all open source tools, but the story is mediocre, you'll hear things like this:

o.s. fanboy: "It's made with all open source tools and linux rocks everyone's world and Windows is definitely dead now!! Take that, you l33t Wind@ze haxxors!!"
anyone else: "Yea, that's great, but the story's lame."
o.s. fanboy: "But it's all o.s. tools!!"
anyone else: "so?"

My sarcasm aside, it would be a great step forward for blender, which it definitely needs.
I'm starting to learn XSI because of some animation/rendering options it offers over blender, but I'd switch back if this project's a success and really takes b. to the next level.

Good luck on the project, I'll be looking forward to the results. Six months is a good timeframe, can't wait for the results. I'd certainly be happy to be wrong about not being able to accomplish this AND have a winning story.

Zarf
05-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Guys, Ton's ability to get people to give him money are all well and good for blender dev, which, hell, I'm all for, but the fact of the matter still boils down to story. I mean, even if it's made with all open source tools, but the story is mediocre, you'll hear things like this:

o.s. fanboy: "It's made with all open source tools and linux rocks everyone's world and Windows is definitely dead now!! Take that, you l33t Wind@ze haxxors!!"
anyone else: "Yea, that's great, but the story's lame."
o.s. fanboy: "But it's all o.s. tools!!"
anyone else: "so?"

My sarcasm aside, it would be a great step forward for blender, which it definitely needs.
I'm starting to learn XSI because of some animation/rendering options it offers over blender, but I'd switch back if this project's a success and really takes b. to the next level.

Good luck on the project, I'll be looking forward to the results. Six months is a good timeframe, can't wait for the results. I'd certainly be happy to be wrong about not being able to accomplish this AND have a winning story.

(The folowing paragraph is unnoficial information. It is true to the best of my knowledge but you wont find it on the projects web page....)

This project has been in development for at least a year already, so you can be assured that the announcment only came when they had all their 'ducks in a row'. There are people involved in this that have pushed Blender to it's limits and have already driven development based upon their needs as artists. Artistically these people would not be interested in just doing a 'tech demo' for open source software I think. So really project Orange has two main goals as I see it. The first one is to make a damn fine short film and the second one is do whatever is nessecary to get Blender (and possibly other OSS packages) to the level of functionality nessecary for that task.

Additionally, Ton helped found and run one of the most successful Dutch 3d Animation studios during the mid 90's, 'Neo Geo', so he is no stranger to the production process (it was here that he wrote blender). He also coordinated the fund raising of 100k euros to buy the source code of Blender from the Venture Capitalists who invested heavily in 'Not A Number' and the Blender technology during the 'dot com boom'.

In other words he's a capable and very resourcefull person who brings MORE than enough experience to the table in order to see this project through to the end. So stop worrying eh?

Cheers,
Xarf

Zarf
05-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Eh seeing how Ton manages Blender I dont have much hope for the tools to gett better via real paid support. IF that were to happen THEN blender would really get a boost in proper features and such. But for now it all lies in the ands of the very helpful coders that still build blender. BUT cause of that so many areas are just getting tossed about like they dont care.. cause they cant, free time is hard for them... Sooo TON Please pay some coders to fix things please...

Open your checkbook and people will be more than happy to take your money.

What was that? Eh, I thought so.....

Regards,
Xarf

Tripdragon
05-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Open your checkbook and people will be more than happy to take your money.

What was that? Eh, I thought so.....

Regards,
Xarf
*buzzer* wrong..

I was one of the users that was willing to give money to coders to build some of the missing tools. But as was documented before, they really did not want it, or that they could never agree to figure out how a paid system, would work and just argued alot.

Blenders development is just to slow in some areas when it comes to devs wanting to tinker in that area. Soooo it is hopeful that this closed area for paid coders will fill things in. But if it will still be that only free time coders are the only driving force in development then I dont have much hope for the time it will take this project, story or not.

Bellorum
05-25-2005, 10:09 PM
But if it will still be that only free time coders are the only driving force in development then I dont have much hope for the time it will take this project, story or not.
Looking at the last year of development, those free time coders must have worked their asses off - so I'd say they deserve nothing but respect.

Zarf
05-25-2005, 10:32 PM
*buzzer* wrong..

I was one of the users that was willing to give money to coders to build some of the missing tools. But as was documented before, they really did not want it, or that they could never agree to figure out how a paid system, would work and just argued alot.

Blenders development is just to slow in some areas when it comes to devs wanting to tinker in that area. Soooo it is hopeful that this closed area for paid coders will fill things in. But if it will still be that only free time coders are the only driving force in development then I dont have much hope for the time it will take this project, story or not.

In a word 'bull'. You never offered any amount of money that would have made it worth any coders while to add the features you wanted (at least you never did in public.) I still think your bounty site was/is a good idea.

I for one spent a LOT of my time trying to negotiate with a certain company who makes closed source software to set up an arrangment so that their app would gain interoperatbility with blender. It was going to be a 'bounty' project for which I would have been paid but ulltimatley it fell through. Bounties *CAN* work, the money just has to be right.

Cheers,
Xarf

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2005, 10:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.