PDA

View Full Version : questions about dvd format

FabioMSilva
05-23-2005, 12:13 PM
hi, i'm making a movie for DVD and i would like to understand some points.

i've read that 720x575 is DVD resolution, but so far what i've seen, the footage i render in that format seems to be in 4:8 rather than 16:9 that is what i wanted (like e film in the theaters or DVD). what resolution should i use to get more of that DVD movie feel?

also, i've read that for FILM , 24fps is always used. tought, it seems PAL DVD's use 25fps. So i'm making a movie(film) but i'm aiming for a PAL DVD release. which frame rate should i use?

one last question, in dvd format do i have also to worry about legal colors and safe frames? if so, how many pixels are the safe frame?

many thanx in advance.

BlueTide
05-23-2005, 02:11 PM
i've read that 720x575 is DVD resolution, but so far what i've seen, the footage i render in that format seems to be in 4:8 rather than 16:9 that is what i wanted (like e film in the theaters or DVD). what resolution should i use to get more of that DVD movie feel?

PAL resolution is 720x576, not 575. The aspect ration 4:8 is really odd, traditional TV being 4:3. So you have something quite vertical. The 16:9 aspect ration comes from the pixels, they are not square so you need to render accordingly. Correct image will look somewhat odd in certain programs such as Microsofts image viewer and possibly Photoshops even if I have seen some cross that indicates some support for such a thing.

also, i've read that for FILM , 24fps is always used. tought, it seems PAL DVD's use 25fps. So i'm making a movie(film) but i'm aiming for a PAL DVD release. which frame rate should i use?

25fps. Movies are actually not converted in PAL coutnries, they are mostly just a tiny bit faster here. If you have no reason to stay in 24fps such as film printing, why not to use PAL standard and hassle with imperfections?

one last question, in dvd format do i have also to worry about legal colors and safe frames? if so, how many pixels are the safe frame?

DVD format alone does nothing. If you plan to have your film shown on TV, you need to be aware of the safe frames as you mentioned as well as smaller colour range. I highly recommend a TV monitor to see the result at testing phase, these frames are not exact but more of guidelines. Somebody could give the dimensions that Maya, for one, uses?

ZaKKoS
05-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm assuming that you're gonna shoot with a minidv. Is that right?

If so then I suggest you to use a monitor during the shoot. It will help you framing right (it have built in action safe frame :), and you can still see the whole captured scene through the camera's viewfinder), and more important you can evaluate(?) the cinematography (those LCD screen won't work right since colors and "brightness" are affected by the viewing angle).

Important thing: if your camera have a "widescreen" option DON'T USE IT!!! (unless it's TRUE anamorphic, which i don't think is your case) It will only cut your vertical resolution.
If you have anamorphic lens (or CCD) then tell your editing software (FC/Premiere/etc) that you have used them.

Good lighting and framing can lead you to have an astounding video but don't try to have the "film look" (this mean that you have to achieve the best from your medium, not to emulate another one) anyhow very good video is accepted by anyone. It doesn't matter if it was shoot on expensive film or cheap minidv untill you have made a very good product!

EVERY single word BlueTide said is absolutely right so keep them in mind.

p.s. Photoshop cs have the ability to switch from square pixels to "other geometry" pixels ;) so you can make your graphics right.

p.p.s. I'm sure you have considered the option of deinterlace your footage after the capture to get the "film motion" effect

FabioMSilva
05-23-2005, 08:12 PM
sorry about the 4:3 and 4:8...i'ts very confusing...i always make that mistake...sometimes i'm talking with my friends and i say "4:8"...and they repply "4.3..."
and yes it is 720x576...another distraction of myne.

since i've worked only with cg til very recently, i had always worked with 640x292 or 640x364. these film/dvd resolutions
are completly new to me and a bit confusing if i must say.

btw I'm using an CCD sony TRV208E Hi8
and Virtual VCR to extract the video&sound from the camera. unfortunatly it seems it cant extract in bigger resolution than 640x480.

i've converted my live action video - 720x576@25fps and it played well in my home dvd player, tought i dont get that 16:9 feeling but a rather 4:3 a lil strentched image to fit the screen.
also noticed i had used combustion to deinterlace my video(lower fields first...dunno if this is the correct way, but at least at first glance it seems correct)
i've watched a piece of video at the resolution of 704x384@25fps (square pixels) and i've used the EXPORT to DVD feature in premiere pro 1.5(like i did with the one at 720x576@25fps) and
i've chosen PAL PROGRESSIVE 4x3 high Quality 7mb CBR 1 pass. Fields = none (these were the exact same settings i've used for my live action video)

it looked a lot more like the 16:9 feel i want for my film(tought unfortunatly a bit of the video is Out of the frame...guess i still have to study the safe frame issue)

still looking for ways to improve the look and feel of the film. more suggestions are very welcome, and many thanx for the repplies so far.

cheers

oh and yeah, i was using the Widescreen option in the camera LCD(or cinema option as it is called). tought i dont use LCD much, i prefer to film using the "eye-thing" cuz that way i can fix the camera on my chin, and not tremble so much.

ZaKKoS
05-23-2005, 10:36 PM
i've used 2 method to get the false 16:9 for different purposes

1) exporting at 1024x576: you have to shoot with the widescreen option or scale it later in post, this will give you a "true" 16:9 (NOT based on pixel geometry so actually it's NOT true anamorphic 16:9) BUT you will lose both vertical and horizontal resolution. If you don't mind that this can be an option.

2) shooting normal 4:3 and then add the upper and lower bands (you have to frame right in the viewfinder, usually black gaffer tape is sticked on the monitor...after that nothing will never be the same on that monitor! You can also use blackfoil or black cardboard instead of having your monitor all messed up.) this is normally used on things that will go for sure on a normal 4:3 tv set (like many music videos and commercials). I prefer this way, and i recommend you to use this method.

If you want it to go on a 16:9 screen in this case you may want to rent (or buy) an anamorphic additive lens.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

sergioKomic
06-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi, here are the safe frames (pal 720*576 format) we use at work (tv-film production studio)

http://img200.echo.cx/img200/388/safeframeq5gu.jpg

It was produced by a quantel Henry...

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2005, 04:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.