PDA

View Full Version : OpenEXR

Sagroth
05-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Does anyone enable OpenEXR support for Shake 3.5 under linux? (Yeap, stupid question :) Actually I mean - can anyone explain how to do it?)

beaker
05-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Normally you have to compile the exr plugin off the openexr.org website. But your in luck, I compiled it last year and have it on my site:
http://www.freakydeke.com/exr/exrFormat.so

sunit
05-25-2005, 07:24 PM
hey beaker,

what are the chances you know anything about openexr for us poor windows users (shake 2.51)?

regards,
sunit

Sagroth
05-26-2005, 11:20 AM
beaker, thanks. I'll try it out soon.

Now I'm compiling it myself but have some problems:

1)I've compiled OpenEXR 1.2.2 source - now I have variuos utils like exrdisplay etc.
2)Set pkg-config variable for openEXR.pc file
3)The quantity of errors is decreased to that:

[root@localhost OpenEXR_Shake-1.0.1]# make
Using /usr/apple/shake-v3.5
g++ -O2 -fPIC -I/usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrcc -I/usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrfx -I/usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrgl `pkg-config --cflags OpenEXR` exrFormat.C -c -o exrFormat.o
In file included from /usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrcc/NRiFile.h:28,
from exrFormat.h:47,
from exrFormat.C:52:
/usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrcc/NRiHashTable.h: In member function `void NRiHashTable<T>::resize(uint32_t)':
/usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrcc/NRiHashTable.h:116: error: `de' undeclared (first use this function)
/usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrcc/NRiHashTable.h:116: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
/usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrcc/NRiHashTable.h: In member function `void NRiHashTable<T>::addEntry(NRiHashTable<T>::Entry<T>*)':
/usr/apple/shake-v3.5/sdk/include/nrcc/NRiHashTable.h:234: error: `e' undeclared (first use this function)
make: *** [exrFormat.so] Error 1

Can you advice anything in this case?

beaker
05-26-2005, 11:46 AM
hey beaker,

what are the chances you know anything about openexr for us poor windows users (shake 2.51)?

regards,
sunit
The exr plugin won't compile for 2.5, sorry, your SOL.

Upgrade to linux or buy a mac. 2.51 is 4 years old. Isn't it about damn time you move on? 3.5 is so much faster and has a lot of nice features.

Sagroth
05-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Ok, I've set your plugin and shake returned that he can't find som libs from OpenEXR. I do have them in /usr/local/lib but shake doesn't wan't to read them from there. So I put links on them to shakes dir/lib/mesa - now shake loaded plugin sees .exr as image-files but when I try to open - it crashes and returns 'Segmentation fault'... Any ideas what could it be?

beaker
05-26-2005, 12:07 PM
What version of gcc are you using?

As for my plugin, I compiled it with exr 1.2.1, so 1.2.2 is probably causing it to crash. 1.2.1 requires you to compile the nvidia sdk, but supposedly they got rid of that dependancy in 1.2.2. I wonder if the shake plugin still requires 1.2.1.

Sagroth
05-26-2005, 12:14 PM
That's Mandrake 10.1 - gcc 3.4

Yeap, nvidia sdk in 1.2.2 was an optional thing and didn't set up in my case.

What do you suggest in this situation?

beaker
05-26-2005, 12:38 PM
install 1.2.1

beaker
05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Also shake 3.5 plugins are supposed to be compiled with gcc 3.2.3. So maybe there is an issue with 3.4. Just some ideas.

sunit
05-26-2005, 12:56 PM

Upgrade to linux or buy a mac. 2.51 is 4 years old. Isn't it about damn time you move on? 3.5 is so much faster and has a lot of nice features.

four years old? nah, only about two and a half :)

yes, linux. i've heard about that... :wise:
-sunit

Sagroth
05-26-2005, 04:05 PM
install 1.2.1
There's no old versions on openexr.org - only recent 1.2.2 version. Is there another place where I can get 1.2.1?

Also shake 3.5 plugins are supposed to be compiled with gcc 3.2.3. So maybe there is an issue with 3.4. Just some ideas.
I thought about that, but I'm not very good in this thing. Can I somehow compile with 3.2 in system with 3.4?

beaker
05-26-2005, 07:05 PM
four years old? nah, only about two and a half :)

yes, linux. i've heard about that... :wise:
-sunitJune 2002, sorry, 3 years. Meet me in the middle :)

beaker
05-26-2005, 07:08 PM
There's no old versions on openexr.org - only recent 1.2.2 version. Is there another place where I can get 1.2.1?
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/openexr/

bitch
08-26-2005, 12:19 AM

Do you know fundamentally why it wont compile ?

Is it an issue that it has to be compiled against the 3.5 SDK which
contains new library functions that are not available in the older version of
the SDK ?

Thanks for any insight

Saturn
09-02-2005, 07:34 AM
does this plugin use all Open EXR features, like multibuffer ?

beaker
09-02-2005, 08:37 PM
does this plugin use all Open EXR features, like multibuffer ?The plugin doesn't but EXR is built into Shake 4 and it supports all those features(Multibuffer).

nrgy
09-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Its still very limited in shake 4, you can select which channels to map to the rgbaz channels when inporting a clip but you cannot export a exr image with more then the standard rgbaz channels. So if you import a clip and wanna say edit your ambient occlusion pass then reexport it back out intact with the new data your screwed. This is pretty much due to the fact that shake is still limited to rgbaz color channels unlike say D2's nuke which is the only commercial app I've use that USES what exr is for straight out the box.

Only way for realy useing exr in shake is still with a custom exr plugin you create with the sdk. Kinda sad but like one always says "It hopefully will be fixed/updated in the future".

:D

[edit]

Also shake doesnt support multiresolution exr files along with all the custom info stored in the exr header such as adding tracking info you got from a tracking application. Multiresloution exr files not being supported is realy a shame because storing proxies all in the same file is a nice feature of the format.

beaker
09-04-2005, 09:14 PM
You should write Angus Taggart about that. He came on the EXR listserve asking about implementing EXR support back a year ago. Seems like he would be pretty open to adding stuff like that. It would be nice to be able to embed stuff like trackers and DOD's.

nrgy
09-05-2005, 06:39 PM
That sounds like a good idea beaker. I myself have been messing around with creating little tools for reading exr header info along with other do dads. I like the possibilitys open exr offers as a image format, I just wish more apps would support this new format to its full extent. Alot of the newer releases in software that companies are coming out with all praise "OPEN EXR SUPPORT!" but I realy havent seen one that fully uses all the features. Most of the time they just load the highest resolution tile and allow you to map which channels goto rgbaz.

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2005, 06:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.