PDA

View Full Version : $85 million in 2 days:Did i have a problem with my Script?

DAZZAN
05-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Well i think this is an interesting question George !

.. does it matter now its been released?

Why did you not go for help with a known writer like you did on Empire ?

Its been some years since ive heard an audiance groan or snigger like they did the other night,but i liked it, the film..but..but..

Of course its your baby,your money,but you can see now cant you the difference with a guy like Lawrence Kasdan would make to a film,than Revenge without a known writer to help out.

I did wince a number of times,but i admit i was near to tears once.

If you get on set,and the dialogue is not working from the script it is changed or worked on,on set.

$85 million in 2 days..so i guess nothing was wrong with your script.

Right ?

malcolmvexxed
05-23-2005, 08:41 AM
it's odd to me that you wouldn't pose this as more of a question to invite discussion. This was more of a blog rant than anything especially since it doesn't raise any actual issues about screenwriting. Anyway it was poorly written in many places but the continuing issue with Lucas is more of his failing as a director. He can't bring great performances out of people, they either do well on their own or sound like robots. It's too bad that he's so removed himself from criticism that he doesn't acknowledge that he has things to work on. for what the Star Wars series is (and i have to admit i'm n ot a huge fan other than Empire strikes back) this was a vey good effort and the action was entertaining.

DAZZAN
05-23-2005, 09:44 AM
it's odd to me that you wouldn't pose this as more of a question to invite discussion. This was more of a blog rant than anything especially since it doesn't raise any actual issues about screenwriting. Anyway it was poorly written in many places but the continuing issue with Lucas is more of his failing as a director. He can't bring great performances out of people, they either do well on their own or sound like robots. It's too bad that he's so removed himself from criticism that he doesn't acknowledge that he has things to work on. for what the Star Wars series is (and i have to admit i'm n ot a huge fan other than Empire strikes back) this was a vey good effort and the action was entertaining.

A blog rant ,no i dont think so as it could have been a lot worse,and it was a question and an invite in discussion,and you Dont think after seeing the film it dosen`t raise any issues about screenwriting.

Well you say it was written badly in places,and that the problem lies in his failing as a director,but thats the OTHER forum,this ones about screenwriting!

I liked the film a lot,im just saying with people in other threads asking about whether to send their script off to the doctors for some advice,perhaps this one might have gone there to.

You dont think with the story contents Lucas had to deal with that the writeing would be up to par.

At the time of looking at the rushes,at some of the pivitol scenes,he said ok,and no one said wait there! It can be better this way.

The scenes with the dialogue that might be "rewritten" got through to the final cut,and people moaned and groaned at my screening.

Isnt that what a script doctor is for?

If he had a Lawrence Kasdan would we be seeing a better film and screenplay.

ic2xs
05-25-2005, 07:58 AM
I actually find that Lucas is a good director. I do agree much of the acting seems terrible in comparison with other drama movies. HOWEVER. if you pay attention in Revenge of the Sith, as usual, the acting is pretty cheesey (most notably with Anakin) you'r sitting there trying not to be embarrassed that you are watching it, but then when scenes of the darkside start creeping in, the acting gets better....
IMHO George does this with the intention of contrasting in the movie (as he does with many other areas of the movies) the interplay between Good and Evil, and how people perceive it. So! I don't think it is so much a problem with how Lucas directs (yes the script could use work, but thats a whole nother discussion) I think it is more of a problem with the audience being (adults, adolescents) too immature. Obviously children seem to get the point (my little brother kept using the "cheeseyness" and the "good acting" as a gauge between when Anakin was slipping to and from the darkside....)

Just a few things I thought were note worthy. Then again i coudl be wronge, because I love the whole movie series so much....

malcolmvexxed
05-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Just a few things I thought were note worthy. Then again i coudl be wronge, because I love the whole movie series so much....

see i'm not a big star wars fan. I think what you're talking about with him doing the transitions of huge drama well proves he doesn't direct well. In a space opera he's basically able to hit on the huge issues (and the politics in this episode mirroring the american demise of democracy after 9/11 was very well done) but the inability to do simple human relationships like love is a sign of huge failure. He only paints well with a broad brush.

ruukki
06-01-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure if it's a sign of strength or weakness that the original Star Wars series uses up so many of the classic psychological motifs. Anyway, it seems to work OK in the end. Luke's declining to kill his father is without doubt a strong sign of his unwillingness to jump on to the dark side. This would go nicely even without the Emperor.

I haven't actually seen Revenge of the Sith, nor the one before that, because Episode 1 was... well, like the old Tarzan movies. You had your hero, and funny aliens doing stuff funnily. Why is it ever so hard to depict aliens as anything else than funny, cute or dangerous? They would really be alien if they were mysterious, like Philip K. Dick and other crackpots depict them.

So, this rant has a point about scriptwriting too: a challenge to all those who try and translate outer space to us humans.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2005, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.