PDA

View Full Version : 'Star Wars' earns $108.5M in first weekend

RobertoOrtiz
05-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Quote:
"George Lucas (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800017101&cf=gen)' final "Star Wars (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1800121659&cf=info&intl=us)" movie scored the second-best three-day weekend of all time on Sunday, but the Force was not strong enough to prevent overall ticket sales in North America from posting a year-on-year-decline for the 13th consecutive weekend. "

>>Link<< (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/weekendboxofficer.html)
-R

rkv
05-23-2005, 02:16 AM
as expected i did not expect anything more or less. awesome movie though :D

percydaman
05-23-2005, 12:31 PM
ticket sales are down this year because they're aren't been many good movies to go see. I cant recall how many times Ive wanted to go to the movies, but haven't cause there was nothing my wife and I wanted to watch.

Not surprised about the starwars though. Saw it last night.

Blazer
05-23-2005, 03:23 PM
It is number 1 in 4 day sales though.

It is unfair to compare star wars fri-sat-sun to that of number one (spiderman) since I don't think spiderman had a Thursday release.... And even if it did, all it means is so many people went to see SW3 on release day there weren't many left for the 3 day weekend.

So there :)

pogonip
05-23-2005, 04:54 PM
ticket sales are down this year because they're aren't been many good movies to go see. I cant recall how many times Ive wanted to go to the movies, but haven't cause there was nothing my wife and I wanted to watch.

Not surprised about the starwars though. Saw it last night.

Me and my GF feel the same way . Nothing is very good this year ...well except unleashed and that was a suprise . Only 2 movies we are looking forard to this year War of the Worlds and Harry Potter 4 ...and maybe Charlie and the Chocolate factory. The rest ....it's like " meh maybe we'll see it if nothing else is going on ... "

Nemoid
05-23-2005, 06:51 PM
wewll, i likled some movies this year. one was Sky captain and the world of tomorrow. i really liked it mainly visually, cause i like those retro athmospheres.

Hellboy : it was quite like the comic book, very respectful, and with alot of good humour inside. very wel done, Mr del Toro.

then i'm looking forward for Sin City. it will be very cool IMO, with 3 talents like Rodriguez, Miller and Tarantino directing, and some god actors. can't loose.:)

looking forward also for war of the worlds. we'll see .

Star wars was better than episode I and II and surely some good action scenes were very well made. but was a bit boring and quite silly in anakin dialogues. he was always repeating the same thing to everyone the met. : why jedi council don't want me as a master, Palpatine is good and a friend, Bla bla bla bla. i counted similar phrasing 4 or 5 times.
general grievous was IMO too ridiculous in his "acting". and also seemed a braun robot mixer for cooking, when he played with lightsabers.not exactly believable as a general leader of separatists. another thing is that, who never watched SW toons doesn't know from where he came out. he's there. period.
some other things were fantastic, especially the great duel between obi wan and anakin, and that between yoda and palpatine. i liked the design, more similar to the first trilogy one. however i think this movie could have been better with some different choices in some part, and some more irony here and there. the only gags i liked were the initial gag with insect robots on obi and anakin ships, and some R2D2 gag. also, some more scenes with chewbacca the great were required!!

Mojo Rizen
05-23-2005, 08:14 PM
I like to say it is what it is. I think I enjoyed the movie more the second time. Knowing the general story, in the back of my head I was thinking there would be some twist, but it never came.

It has some GL weakness in character and dialogue but I can live with that. The movie is great and delivers on what is needed. I do like watching some of the details and tid bits that tie things together.

I rented Sky Captain about a month ago and was presently surprised. There to it had some things that could be worked better, but if you look back to silent movies, and how the future looked to people back in the 30s it hits the look and feel dead on.

Some of the extra stuff on the making of, and the tightness of new people entering the industry was nice to see. If you have the disc be sure to check out the extras and look for the office with all the drawings pined up. That is inspiring on its own.

Ezekiel19
05-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Great movie indeed, fun to watch and see all the many differant characters play out there personalities.

-Keith

Joss
05-23-2005, 09:43 PM
I hope to hell they give those guys & gals over at ILM and The Ranch a nice raise because their work was top-knotch! I was weeping it was so good!

Someone had fun with the flying sequence at the beginning! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2005, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.