PDA

View Full Version : Allan McKays Fracture tutorial

cheerfulskeptic
05-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I followed it and managed to fracture the object just as I wanted it, but I cant seem to get Pflow to display the particles as the meshes. I get a bunch of X's for each fractured mesh. The particles are positioned properly, but they just dont show as meshes when i change the display to geometry in Pflow. Nothing renders either....
I'm using MAX 7, are there differences between MAx 6 maxscript/pflow and 7?

help!
thanks!

jlelievre
05-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Sounds like your instanced geometry isn't being read into Pflow. Try selecting the Shape Instance node in your flow, and make sure it is using the fractured geometry as it's reference.

hope this helps

LoneRobot
05-24-2005, 09:18 AM
i was under the impression that the birth script actually sets the particles to be an array containing the fractured geometry - You shouldn't need a Shape Instance operator.

here's the script you're probably using -

on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.useAge = true
pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useShape = true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global ChunksArray = $Box* as array
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
t = pCont.getTimeStart() as float

if t < 0 do
(
NumChunks = ChunksArray.count

for i = 1 to NumChunks do
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex = pCont.NumParticles()
pCont.particleAge = 0
pCont.particleTM = ChunksArray[i].transform
pCont.particleShape = ChunksArray[i].mesh
)
)
)

on Release pCont do
(

)

the global ChunksArray = $Box* as array uses a wildcard selection to get the geometry so if you've called all your pieces "fragment01, fragment02 etc" then you need to edit the birth script to read global ChunksArray = $fragment* as array

LoneRobot
05-24-2005, 09:29 AM
here's a little animation with the Particle view i did a while ago using the ideas from that tutorial - i extended it to use two flows - a primary and secondary to simulate the separate chunk sizes. Hope it helps.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 09:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.