PDA

View Full Version : Particles rendering speed.

MikeL3
05-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi,

I have a scene with particles being emitted from an object, and I have animated the particles visibility attribute so that at a certain point in the animation the particles disappear.

However, I was wondering if it would improve rendering time if I had a seperate scene with these particular particles deleted and rendered that scene seperately.

In other words does it improve rendering speed to delete particles from the scene instead of hiding them.

Thanks.

Bonedaddy
05-23-2005, 05:38 AM
It would probably speed up the translation of the scene into something renderable, but not the actual rendering. Depends on what renderer you're using. If it's Mental Ray or Renderman, those renderers translate the maya scene into in-between formats (.mi and .rib respectively) which they render from. Maya Software, I'm not sure. It may not. But the slowdown would be from writing out the list of particles, which are then unused.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2005, 05:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.