PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - Feature Film Project

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Jonathan McEnroe from Glasgow, Scotland. I am currently working at EA Games just now in Warrington until July 4th and when I return home I am going to be heading into film.

*Possible spoilers to Episode III may be mentioned for those who havent seen the film yet*

To start with, I am looking at developing a team of people who can work together on the project to bring to life the digital effects for the film. With the release of Episode III I have begun developing a story which I have been currently jagsawing together set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

I am looking for it to be a feature project however we are wanting to create a fifteen minute segment that will act as the Prologue to the story I am writing for the main character. I will be focusing heavily on the rise of the Galactic Empire, and Vader's conflicting emotions between his master and the pain suffered after the tragic loss of Padme. There is a lot promised to Anakin when he turns to the darkside and after loosing the one he was trying to save, (his main reason for turning to the darkside) he is troubled in what he feels he should be doing. I shall also be looking into the development of the Rebel Alliance and the troubles it also carries with it.

The prologue introduces the main character, a Jedi Master who is forced to escape his former Clone allies when Order 66 is issued and live a life in exile from the Galactic Empire, until he hears of the Rebel Alliance.

Nearly two decades later, Mon Calamari leader, Admiral Ackbar is rescued by a Rebel Elite Force having failed to assasinte Governor Tarkin on the outer rim. Howerver, Ackbar returns with grim news that the Empire has secretly constructed a battle station with enough power to destroy an entire planet. Lead by Jedi Knight Aidan Seraphina, the Rebel Alliance prepares to go into its first major conflict with the mighty Galactic Empire.

It is a big task, however I am interesting in developing a team together that could possibly work with me on future film project that will have a budget, and with the experiance gained and skills developed on this project we will be able to tackle many problems with much ease.

We are looking for 3D Modellers, Texture Artists, Lighters, Animators, and Compositors from the UK or outside of the UK. I appreciate the help from anyone who is interested and can help out in this project. I am hoping to use this as a nice test bed for future project that I will be working on in the future and would love to have brought together a team of people whom I can bring together again :)

I am aware of the concerns over projects like these, but could be worth it in the end :) We'd love it to be part of artists showreels to go onto game of visual effects companies and we'll be making sure that your work is online and shown for the interest of those requiring certain people for employment :)

I have previous film experiance working on Short Films with professionals as an artist/storyboard artist, I have worked on Miracle of Silence, Scene (in development) with Bryan Larkin (you can find out about Bryan at www.dabhandfilms.com (http://www.dabhandfilms.com/) and IMDB.com) and Voodoophone with Seth hardwick.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you :)

Please feel free to post here, PM me, or email me at jonathanmcenroe@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks again :)

Jonathan :thumbsup:

Matt122004
05-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Did my Star Wars film inspire you to create a Star Wars feature film too?

Grrrrrrr
05-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Hmm...dunno exactly what to say. same projects in the same forum.This sounds like competition.But for now i'm sorry to say this Matt but my favourite is this one for now.Well now the chances of getting help are twice as small.I've seen Star Wars III and i loved it.As crazy as it may seem (because i have a tight scheduel + my own Project)after waiting a few days to see how things develop arround here i might join u as a modeler.Dunno what got into me but i just feel the need to make something Star Wars related.

I really love the prologue ideea.....but that might have come after experiencing on Matts misstakes :) but it doesn't matter. And a plus is that u have some experience.So this project looks very good.So let's see how things go .

Matt122004
05-22-2005, 11:19 PM
are you saying you might join my film or His?

Grrrrrrr
05-23-2005, 07:28 AM
are you saying you might join my film or His?
well as i said i'm waiting a couple of days too see how things go and than i'll see...But as i said before...for now my favourite is this one ...

Pyke
05-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Creating a 15 minute short is a very good idea, and considering the experience you have, I'm sure you'll get it done.

BUT..If you have the experience...the capability to make a 'feature film'...why are you doing a Star Wars film? While its fun, and a definate way to show your love for the films-making your own universe would just be so much more rewarding!

Carry on good sir...I'll be watching this one closely.

asdomg
05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
I would like to join you as a texture/model/idea provider (such as space craft and star destoryer). well, what‘s your plan for this short film? The EP3 is stunning me enough to join you!
May the force be with you!

Grrrrrrr
05-23-2005, 09:23 AM
k.Just spoken with my friend with whom i share my project and we have decided that this is a good break for us.So u got 2 modelers now.PM me and give me detailes on what u want us to do.
Matt i'm sorry but i really balanced all the facts and i just don't want to work for 4 months and than just realise that my work was in vane.2 h of film is just too much.But there are lots of other ppl here.I hope they don't think as i do :).

Minifoo
05-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Coool idea, i'm very interested by your project and want to help. But how?

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey Matt,

I've been developing the story for a while now and have been waiting patiently for Episode III to come out until I finished the story and a lot of what I had was spot on which I was very happy about :) So now I'm looking to build my visual effects team. I didn't notice your thread until I looked at at the Thread list properly today.

Sorry I've not replied quicker, I can't thank you guys enough for your interest, I will get your email addresses and throw a group email together as soon as I finish work today :)

Hey Grrrrr, thank you very much for wanting to help us out, we really appreciate it very much, and we welcome your partner to the project as well.

Hey Pike, I am working on this project for me to get a better understanding on Visual Effects, to work with a CG Team and to try and create something from nothing. CG has interested me a for a while and I wanted to do something like this first rather than risking hundreds of thousands or millions on a film that could go down the loo hehe. So I'm wanting to create these small independant test films and get them looking top notch, to see what we can create with no money. Its why I want to build good relations with artists who arent part of a company and get our talents shown and get people to notice what we can all do, and you never know by the end of it, Lucasfilm could turn round and notice the talents that have dedicated their time to produce something for the love of it :) I had worked on the short films for free purely for the love of drawing, I couldnt care less if I was paid or not, and now I'm wanting to take it a step further and try create something visual on screen :)

Hey asdomg, I'll email you along with the others, we'd love to have your talents onboard the Prologue :) Thank you very much!!

Hey Minifoo, if you'd like to help drop me a PM in what you'd like to help us with and we'll take it from there, thanks a lot mate :)

I have completed the Prologue script, and storyboards and will be doing the concepts for the Prologue as well. After that I shall begin dishing out this information for you to see, the storyboards I have doe are in extremely rough form, it would worry a company if they looked at them, however I had to get my vision down quickly, so I guarantee it's not my usual quality of work hehe.

I'll contact you guys as soon as I finish work today, thank you all very much!

Jonathan

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey Matt,

I've been developing the story for a while now and have been waiting patiently for Episode III to come out until I finished the story and a lot of what I had was spot on which I was very happy about :) So now I'm looking to build my visual effects team. I didn't notice your thread until I looked at at the Thread list properly today.

Sorry I've not replied quicker, I can't thank you guys enough for your interest, I will get your email addresses and throw a group email together as soon as I finish work today :)

Hey Grrrrr, thank you very much for wanting to help us out, we really appreciate it very much, and we welcome your partner to the project as well.

Hey Pike, I am working on this project for me to get a better understanding on Visual Effects, to work with a CG Team and to try and create something from nothing. CG has interested me a for a while and I wanted to do something like this first rather than risking hundreds of thousands or millions on a film that could go down the loo hehe. So I'm wanting to create these small independant test films and get them looking top notch, to see what we can create with no money. Its why I want to build good relations with artists who arent part of a company and get our talents shown and get people to notice what we can all do, and you never know by the end of it, Lucasfilm could turn round and notice the talents that have dedicated their time to produce something for the love of it :) I had worked on the short films for free purely for the love of drawing, I couldnt care less if I was paid or not, and now I'm wanting to take it a step further and try create something visual on screen :)

Hey asdomg, I'll email you along with the others, we'd love to have your talents onboard the Prologue :) Thank you very much!!

Hey Minifoo, if you'd like to help drop me a PM in what you'd like to help us with and we'll take it from there, thanks a lot mate :)

I have completed the Prologue script, and storyboards and will be doing the concepts for the Prologue as well. After that I shall begin dishing out this information for you to see, the storyboards I have doe are in extremely rough form, it would worry a company if they looked at them, however I had to get my vision down quickly, so I guarantee it's not my usual quality of work hehe.

I'll contact you guys as soon as I finish work today, thank you all very much!

Jonathan

Grrrrrrr
05-23-2005, 07:13 PM

thnx! I'm looking forward on hearing from u.

I really hope that this collab project doesn't work like the others.Ppl say they wanna join...they do and then u never hear from them.I would really like to see things organised and ppl doing their job well. :bounce:More professional.

Bye!

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Grrrrr,

yeah, it will be nice for everyone to keep in touch, see what everyone else is doing and keep up to speed with the development.

I think it would be nice to keep in touch through MSN Messenger, that way files can be passed back n forth, we can have discussions etc. It could help out a lot.

From now until July 4th I shall be using jmcenroe@europe.ea.com as my MSN Messenger account, but my other one is jmcenroe@hotmail.co.uk

If those who want to work on the project would like to add both of these addresses I will be on MSN nearly all day all week :)

Thanks very much to those who want to get involved, if you could also email me some work examples that would be fantastic as well, Minifoo had emailed me today with some work, and I liked what I saw, so it would be great to have a look at other peoples work :D

Thanks again guys!

Jonathan

FullspEed
05-23-2005, 08:50 PM
hi, i'm a SW fan and i would be glad to join u. i am currently working with my friend...Grrrrrrr at Lord of the Rings project (i'm also a lotr fan)
but we will make SW project our first priority.

ps: i will no longer be FullspEed on this forum my future name will be b.oXe.r

Art1977
05-23-2005, 08:55 PM
I follow the two posts about the star wars fan films in this categorie. Because iīam also a star wars fan.

It would be a pleasure to work with you both on a fan film, but i donīt like the idea that both projects are in competition. I think itīs easier to do a movie at about 15 minutes than making a whole movie with 2,5 h. But what about realizing one and after that make the other project together ?

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey Fullspeed (b.oXe.r),

waow thank you very much, I appreciate your commitment to the project! Thanks very much, I am currently putting together an email to be sent round, so that will be with you soon :)

Hey Art1977, thanks very much for your wanting to take part. As for the competition between this film and the other Sith film, it was not my intention for it to be a 'competiton' that only causes trouble, if artists prefer the Sith project then they should join in on that, and if artists are interesting in out project then we will be happy to take them on.

If successful then I shall be doing my feature hopefully with the same people, and possibly with more artists if its a hit, however due to commitments I wouldn't be able to collaberate with the other project unforunately, but I wish Matt all the best with it.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Jonathan

Grrrrrrr
05-23-2005, 09:59 PM
hi, i'm a SW fan and i would be glad to join u. i am currently working with my friend...Grrrrrrr at Lord of the Rings project (i'm also a lotr fan) but we will make SW project our first priority.
Hy there old friend :).We'll be having some work to do here but np.Were's teamwork everything is possible.

And that's true.When we say we'll do something we will give our best.Lord of the Rings and Star Wars are our favourite worlds ( we are a lil more LotR fans than SW but will have no influence on our work).And this should think everyone who joines.

Thanks very much, I am currently putting together an email to be sent round, so that will be with you soon
I'll be waiting it with my heart on the run.I willl join u on MSN when i'll have some time.I really have some questions.

I'm sure we will make this happen.

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Grrrrr,

thanks mate, I'll be happy to answer your questions mate :)

Thats the group email sent out to you guys! Anyone else interested please drop me a PM with your name and Email Address, along with what you are interested in working on for the project :D

Thanks again!!!:thumbsup:

Jonathan:)

Matt122004
05-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Art1977, I'm not competing with this project. I love star wars and I don't care if mine is better or not as good. Are you going to join mine? I don't care if you work on both, I could really use your tallents.

Pyke
05-24-2005, 06:43 AM
Matt-please stop trying to recruit other artists from a different project. Advertise your own project in your own thread. Its coming off as VERY unprofesional.

asdomg
05-24-2005, 08:46 AM
There must be something interesting: a starwars feature film and a starwars film feature. Now I worked on both of them :eek: . That don't means there is some confliction or competation. I love starwars so that I want to create a new legend by my own hand, no matter which project i work in

Art1977
05-24-2005, 09:20 AM
I donīt want to say, that both authors wanted to be in competion. But in my opinion this is automatically done. And if i had enough sparetime, i would work on both projects... but i think at the moment itīs to hard, to work on both projects. I think itīs easier to realize a 15 Minute Feature Film as an 2 and a half hour movie. For my project i needed 2 months.

roguenroll
05-24-2005, 04:00 PM
I might have some time, I just finished some work on 'revelations' (dvds, CG, interfaces), but interested in expanding into mattepainting. So I wouldnt mind some kind of establish shot, like when Anakin/Amadala, left Coruscant, the take off scene, or the space port shot as they landed in Naboo. City scapes, etc, etc.

?? Let me know what kind of locations are in your story.

Rogue

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey Rogue,

I was very impressed with the work done on Revelations, and I'd be delighted to have you on board :) In terms of locations in our main story, I won't be putting a final stamp on them just yet, maybe over the next month I'll finalise them when I've fully completed the story :)

Thanks for your interest mate, I'f you could possibly drop me a wee email mate with your name, and email that would be great bud cheers :)

Jonathan

Grrrrrrr
05-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Now i'm having that feeling that this project is on the roll.Recevied ur mail Jonathan and very well needed update.I like the idea of the script i can even imagine it all finished.
And no...we woun't bug u with texture/lightning stuff because i really follow the same ideals as u in our project: why worry about texturing so early.And yes we are ready when u are.So waiting fryday for that list.

We are olso proud to be in this project.Can't wait to pass over this biggining stuff.

Bye!

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Cheers mate,

yeah I was thinking about texturing and lighting, and I'm wanting to wait until a certain period before we go into that side of things, we'll get all the models built and pollished lookin great and then we'll begin putting it together :)

I'm getting really excited and I'm glad you liked the script, thank you :)

Cheers bud.

If anyone else is interested in joiining up, feel free to contact me or post on here with your name and email address and I'll get back to you :)

Thank you!

Jonathan

Grrrrrrr
05-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Yupiiiiiii.....i'm doing the landscape and clone base......(with b.oXe.r)....i deffinitly can't wait for those refs.....just can't wait to finally get some renders in this thread :)....

roguenroll
05-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Yupiiiiiii.....i'm doing the landscape and clone base......(with b.oXe.r)....i deffinitly can't wait for those refs.....just can't wait to finally get some renders in this thread :).... hoping for a private forum for the crew, I wouldnt post a running thread of wips. post final project when complete.

ndog
05-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Why not do both? There are people not working on this project that may want to follow the progress. The private site for the crew can still be done.

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Hey guys,

during Pre-Production we shall be releasing teaser images on our official website which shall be up near the end of this month/start of next month, it will include many features documenting the production :)

I'm starting to find some nice shape to the environment thumbnails I am doing, and have got more ideas coming through now. I look forward to seeing what you and boxer can come up with in the digital world, I hope you guys have a lot of fun with it :)

I have been discussing the film with Tom Duncan, our lead actor, and he and I have been discussing his character and I'm excited to begin working with Tom. We also started talking about reference footage for the animators, we were thinking of filming actors in blue/green suits for reference, for the animators to take reference from. But we will look at that further down the line :)

Thanks guys!! I'll be in touch :)

Jonathan

b.oXe.r
05-27-2005, 09:43 PM
during Pre-Production we shall be releasing teaser images on our official website which shall be up near the end of this month/start of next month, it will include many features documenting the production
we are having our own web site so soon ??? ... this is definitely going to be a great project :applause:
i just can't wait to see soon some refs of the landscape and the clone base! but untill then i'll stai calm :)

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Sorry my mistake, I was writing that thinking this was June hahaha! Sorry boxer, end of June/Start of July I ment.

Sorry for the mix up bud ;)

Jonathan

Minifoo
05-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi everybody ,hope that this project will be something special :thumbsup: Let the work start, and good luck to everyone :bounce:

denntanos
05-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Okey Im now working on the Battle droid so here is my wips...:D

Grrrrrrr
05-29-2005, 06:49 AM
So this is the start:).
Great start....no comments......yet :thumbsup: ....Can't wait to start on that base!

Bye!

Minifoo
05-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Good work denntanos, keep going, and there is the head of the astro droid r3 i'm working on the shoulders now, and may the force be with us !

http://akyainc.250free.com/youness/R2D2.jpg

Seeee ya !

denntanos
05-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Nice R2D2
good work keep on :D

imanobody
05-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Maybe there's something different about this project that I'm unaware of, but why are people building star war models when you can download them for free at scifi3d.com? They seem to have just about every star wars model from the films and they look to be very high quality.:shrug: Just curious.

denntanos
05-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Why steel other guys work when u can do ur own???

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Hey there imanobody,

If we begin to use other peoples work those working on this rpoject won't have anything original to show, or have anything to work on. Being able to control the work we have helps us develop and better everything we work on and helps us see deal with problems early rather than discovering many problems with an already constructed model.

If I turned round and told denntanos to stop modelling and just download the battledroid model, then he can't turn round at the end and say he worked on that and feel proud that he has achieved something new. Sci-fi 3D is a website I want to avoid completely because I wanted new fresher models to be created for this film, and have them near accurate to the real films through development so that the quality level is high and looks fantastic. A lot of the models on Sci-fi 3D don't look realistic or modelled well. There is some great work on there, but I don't want to use any of it. If others choose to then that is their decision, but it doesn't help develop a team.

Thank you for your concerns, I appreciate it very much.

Jonathan

imanobody
05-30-2005, 08:26 PM
I hope you didn't take what I said in the wrong way. If your building a totally new space ship, alien, etc, I can see your point; I really don't know what your planing to have in your film. BUT, if your going to have an x-wing, why would you waste all that time building one when there's a perfectly good one on the net that people want you to use. SciFi put those models there because they WANTED people to use them, that's why they're there. Their models have been used in tons of fan films and, IMOH, never hurt the creatablity or creativety of the filmmakers. Just as long as you give them credit, they are fine with that. I would agree with you that there are some pretty bad models posted, but most of those were made when the Phantom Menace came out. A model is just a mesh; you still have to rig, texture, animate, and render it, so there would still be tons work that needs to be done (only 10% of the job is in building the mesh).

Now if you were making something that was original, I would say diffently DON'T use anyone else's models, but this is star wars and, realisticaly, your already stealing someone else's idea:thumbsup:. Anyway, I just wanted to point out their site in case you hadn't heard of it (even though I really don't see how any star wars fan could not of have heard of SciFi3D). Who knows, whenever I finally get around to watching ROTS, I may have such a hard-on that I'll want to join your project.

denntanos
05-30-2005, 08:36 PM
You've got a point there....We are remodeling some ones ideas...But if there just was one
model of an xwing, how fun would that be? Just the orignal?

Jonathan_McEnroe
05-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Hey dude,

dont worry i didnt take it the wrong way, I just want to have the ability to keep these models fresh and new, so that we can add all the detail thats required and get it down to a T. The guys are getting on will with everything they are working on and im extremely proud of the work so far :)

If you would like to join the team after ROTS I'll see where we could fit you in mate.

Cheers.

Jonathan

Jonathan_McEnroe
06-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Hello everyone!

I would just like to say that we are progressing at a very steady rate, everything is coming together nicely. Some of the CG models are certainly developing and it is fantastic to see them coming together. The concept design is also an area where we are progressing, I would imagine that most of it will be done by next week and ready to go. We've added a new recruit to our team, Chris (cgidude) who shall be modelling the alien dwellers which feature in the film :) Welcome aboard Chris.

The website and forum are now under development, the graphics are being developed now and are going very well :)

I'll be in touch :)

Jonathan

b.oXe.r
06-04-2005, 02:42 PM
hi, Jonathan i would really want to talk about the project on messenger so here is my id boxer_66. (yahoo messenger) :thumbsup:

Jonathan_McEnroe
06-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey,

that's you added now I'll wait until your online :)

Thanks mate!

Jonathan

roguenroll
06-04-2005, 11:53 PM
never been into the IM thang, no real reason. But, does this look more interesting.

http://www.skype.com/

gunslingerblack
06-11-2005, 04:35 AM
if you need any help i'll be glad to offer my services in any way

denntanos
06-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Jonathan has kick everyone as not coming form skotland...(Not nice)

He wanted a local skotisch team....

this project is just for people from scotland/Glasgow

roguenroll
06-12-2005, 06:05 PM

i didnt hear that. it wouldnt be a much bigger advantage, specially for the CG team.

Jonathan_McEnroe
06-13-2005, 08:30 AM

Wow wow wow, Dennis, I haven't "kicked" anyone off the project at all!

You really don't seem to understand anything I told you online over MSN at all. I told you that there is a possibiliy that I might have to resort to finding a CG Team in scotland because I might not have the internet when I return home to Scotland next month, therefore not have the ability to run an online Visual Effects team.

I don't know if I will have to yet, therefore I haven't sent a group email telling everyone about this.

"He wanted a local skotisch team...."

Dennis what the hell? If I was looking for a Scottish team I would have said from the start.

You've not really understood anything I have told you online man.

Jonathan

denntanos
06-13-2005, 04:06 PM
O skit...That was a BIG misstake from my side...
Boris sayed this: I have some bad news....U have been kicked ,Jonathan wanted a local skotich team...

I really sorry about my misstake. I hope u understand me...So clumsy

cgidude
06-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi ya everyone thought I post one now I am already talk to Jonathan for a week about the project

Jonathan mate I cant get that script word file hotmail said that cont. virus I know is hotmail play fun again

Grrrrrrr
06-14-2005, 05:31 PM
I told you that there is a possibiliy that I might have to resort to finding a CG Team in scotland because I might not have the internet when I return home to Scotland next month, therefore not have the ability to run an online Visual Effects team.

hmmm...so just in case...wouldn't u think it's better to sqeeze from us all u can before the possible ocasion?Me and boXer ...we are both waiting for those concepts......i don't want to rush u or anything but u said that they will be done soon.....and we are still waiting....

Bye!

Jonathan_McEnroe
06-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Grr,

I have a few personal matter to take take care of during the rest of this month mate thats why I have put things on hold for now, I am out of work at the start of next month and persuing another gaming job just now, so Ill need to commit to that until I leave. If I have the net at home by the time I return then I will resume mate :)

I'll be in touch.

Jonathan

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2005, 06:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.