PDA

View Full Version : CNN: what happened to the PHANTOM Console?

RobertoOrtiz
05-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Quote:
"
Infinium Labs, the company behind the on-demand video game service, spent millions of dollars for an elaborate booth meant to quiet growing speculation at the time that the service -- and the system that powered it -- were non-existent.

To an extent, the gamble worked. While gamers still had doubts about the company after the show, seeing a working prototype and a smartly designed keyboard and mouse unit bought the company some breathing room.

But this year, the Phantom is nowhere to be found at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the gaming industry's top deal-making and media event.

In a recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Infinium Labs said there's a good chance it won't raise enough money to launch its key product in time, putting its existence at risk. "

>>Link<< (http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/19/technology/personaltech/e3_phantom/index.htm)

-R

Renderman_XSI
05-22-2005, 02:40 PM
The chances of the Phantom console being release, is about the same as Mirai 1.5 being release :D

Coliba
05-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, who cares? How do they hope to stand a chance against the combined efforts and facilities of Sony/IBM/Toshiba/Microsoft/ATI/Nvidia? Nintendo is barely hanging on, frankly they will be dead soon, and these guys want to put out a new console....whoever convinced people to invest in this company is a smooth smoooth talker :)

FlyByNight
05-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Well, who cares? How do they hope to stand a chance against the combined efforts and facilities of Sony/IBM/Toshiba/Microsoft/ATI/Nvidia? Nintendo is barely hanging on, frankly they will be dead soon, and these guys want to put out a new console....whoever convinced people to invest in this company is a smooth smoooth talker :)

hell yea, i mean u just gotta wonder what they were thinking? How could they possibly expect to compete with sony/ms/nintendo ?? they have been market leaders for a long time, and have all the experience required to be succesful... it seems these guys had big hopes and dreams but did not do their research

zappenduster
05-22-2005, 05:06 PM

just out of curiosity the same was said about the gameboy when it was released =)

but ok the phantom is going straight the way of the good old 3do m2

Hazdaz
05-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Their whole business was based on smoke and mirrors. The fact that they even got any funding shows you how clueless many investors are - they see a flashy presentation, with lots of buzz-words and out come the checkbooks.

Should make alot of people wonder how sound their investments are when people like that are controlling your money.

danydrunk
05-22-2005, 05:16 PM

Im suprised to listen to comments like this saying how nintendo is going to be dead soon.
People should realize that they are the most profitable game company out of the three. Microsoft invested almost 2 billion dollars this generation with Xbox and only to match nintendo in overall sales. If the next xbox doesnt do well then I dont think microsoft will release another console just to loose money. Its true that sony and Microsoft have more money overall, but nintendo has something like 7 billion dollars in the bank just for their games business. They are not going to be dead anytime soon. Not with the nintendo ds outselling the psp, and the revolution on the way.

indraneel_guha
05-22-2005, 05:16 PM
I agree with obertoOrtiz. Phantom is nowhere to be found!!!

BTW guys did anyone of you happen to see the PS3 demos shown at E3??! Man it simply rocks (specially Killzone and NFS.). Game graphics cant be any better...

Indraneel

zappenduster
05-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Im suprised to listen to comments like this saying how nintendo is going to be dead soon.
People should realize that they are the most profitable game company out of the three. Microsoft invested almost 2 billion dollars this generation with Xbox and only to match nintendo in overall sales. If the next xbox doesnt do well then I dont think microsoft will release another console just to loose money. Its true that sony and Microsoft have more money overall, but nintendo has something like 7 billion dollars in the bank just for their games business. They are not going to be dead anytime soon. Not with the nintendo ds outselling the psp, and the revolution on the way.

problem is sony and ms got other buissnes also while nintendo only can survive with games...

and dont bring on this killzone video nice rendering but noway realtime

UrbanFuturistic
05-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Im suprised to listen to comments like this saying how nintendo is going to be dead soon. Yeah, I mean, they only sold over 5 million (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/28/ds_psp_sales/) DS units so far and they've just opened an Apple Store style flagship 'Nintendo World' in New York, yeah, they're in such bad shape :applause:

That's the second good laugh I've had all day.

Of course, the original reason for my post being that it's unfair to compare Mirai to the Phantom; IZWare actually have a product.

...and they say Americans don't have a sense of irony :D

regards, Paul

Swizzle
05-22-2005, 08:11 PM
...and they say Americans don't have a sense of irony :DThey... do?

I never really liked the idea behind the Phantom. The fact that you'd be able to play PC games on it but you weren't going to be able to keep them on their original disks if you upgraded or got a new "PC" really disturbed me for some reason.

Coliba
05-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Sorry but I just don't see Nintendo's new "Revolution" console surviving for long....They should just call it Evolution and realize that both MS and Sony have just taken a pretty big leap in evolution compared to the previous generation, while Nintendo comparatively to them took a small step. Nintendo dead as a company, perhaps not.....right away, but in the console business? Kaput.

Both Sony and MS have B.I.G. plans for these consoles and they are just a stepping stone to the whole concept of "entertainment center". Where's Nintendo in all of this?

Hazdaz
05-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Where's Nintendo in all of this?

Nintendo is "busy" creating another 52 versions of their tired GameBoy franchise.

CGmonkey
05-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Nintendo is "busy" creating another 52 versions of their tired GameBoy franchise.

And we're busy longing for the 53 version of the gameboy, without exhaustion!

My point is, Nintendo owns you.

Koogle
05-22-2005, 10:44 PM
My point is, Nintendo owns you hehe don't make me laugh :D

anyway i don't think Nintendo is going to do very well in the next generation of consoles if there new console isn't truly revolutionary :rolleyes:

anyway 'Phantom' console.. well they picked a good name for it :D

tevih
05-22-2005, 11:11 PM
I was following the Phantom for a while, and their console [idea] wasn't really what the company was about. Their main product was supposed to be their service. It seems that if things keep going downhill for the company, they'll scratch the console completely and focus only on the service. Supposedly.

DevilHacker
05-23-2005, 01:06 AM
I was following the Phantom for a while, and their console [idea] wasn't really what the company was about. Their main product was supposed to be their service. It seems that if things keep going downhill for the company, they'll scratch the console completely and focus only on the service. Supposedly.
Agreed.
The console revolves around its online service.
But the only thing that I could see keeping it from reaching anything but an very small audience, was its announced $200 price tag (for only the console) and another $30 a month just to play games that you will buy in the future! And you MUST have the online service to play the games…

Just put it this way just the first year alone of owning the phantom console you pay $560 upfront, not including the cost of the games you download, which will cost you another $40-50 a pop… And while buying your games you don’t even get a physical product. Just an download…

richcz3
05-23-2005, 01:09 AM
International Business
Ex-Xbox Designer Partners with Chinese for High Speed Internet Delivery
Kevin Bachus, a key Xbox designer, has launched a new venture with Haier Group and Tsinghua Tongfang Co, two large Chinese electronics makers, to build a game and movie delivery system over high speed internet, not just for China, according to this article (http://www.gamenews.com.au/externals/gnews150405-3b.htm) from Technewsworld.com. The venture is IDV-Global Media-On-Demand. Kevin Bachus is also the President and Chief Operating Officer of Infinium Labs which is developing the 'Phantom Game Service' (http://www.gamenews.com.au/externals/gnews150405-3.htm), an on-demand game delivery system. By Tim Richards. [15 April 2005].

LINK (http://www.technewsworld.com/story/news/42290.html) LINK2 (http://www.gamenews.com.au/april_2005.htm)

Looks like Kevin Bachus is out to scam on a higher level. This time with foreign government support. :eek:

Stormy151
05-23-2005, 01:55 AM
anyway i don't think Nintendo is going to do very well in the next generation of consoles if there new console isn't truly revolutionary :rolleyes:

Being able to download and play games released for ANY OF THEIR PREVIOUS CONSOLES sounds pretty revolutionary to me.

Maybe Nintendo won't outsell Sony or MS, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.

durbdk
05-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Nothing wrong with healthy competition, they may end up creating a revolutionary product and take over the marketplace; happened before. Just because Sony and MS are the big dogs now doesn't meant hey will always be, evetually someone will surpass them in quality and popularity, and that can only be good for us! I say let them try, who knows what will happen...

private
05-23-2005, 11:55 AM
People should realize that they are the most profitable game company out of the three.

Exactly. Actually, they are also preparing for their Nintendo Animated Films department. Still a little bit away, but they are preparing. With the characters they have, they will be able to turn more of a profit. Go Nintendo.

richcz3
05-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Anyone giving Infinium Labs the benefit of the doubt only needs to go so far as examine Infinium Labs CEO Tim Roberts business history.

This article caused a major stir when it was published > See LINK (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTEyLDE=) <
Infinium Labs tried to sue [H]ard|OCP and failed to win their case. The article published no false information that wasn't already available. To quote from the finding, it "did not constitute common law libel, trade disparagement/trade libel, and/or tortious interference with a contract".

The company has gone through 25 million and has yet to produce any number of systems for its intended market.> See LINK (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjU3LDQ=) <
If you see my link in the previous post, you'll see that Kevin Bachus has managed to wrangle the Chinese government into supporting the system. Smell the money burning....

tevih
05-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Some people have this thing against infinium labs and bachus. Personally, I want it to succeed, as I think its a great idea!

Nintendo should sell licenses of their characters and stories if they want to make movies and focus on gaming... I think opening an animated films department might stretch them too much.

DevilHacker
05-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Everyone get back on topic and stop talking about if Nintendo will dye or not!
That’s not the point of this thread!

As far as the phantom making it to the market…
I want them to, but I think that they need to iron out their pricing problems first…

DevilHacker
05-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Here is another link to the phantom and all it problems, on the website bit-tech
LINK (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/05/23/phantom_noshow/)

Also, you cant blame Infinium Labs of not trying…
As they have redesigned the unit time and time again.

Original Unit:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news_images/phantom_noshow/article_img.jpg

New Unit:
http://www.phantom.net/graphics/productsshot05.jpg

UrbanFuturistic
05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Some people have this thing against infinium labs and bachus. Personally, I want it to succeed, as I think its a great idea!Yeah, and after, what is it, three years and $25Million it's still a great idea... let me know when they actually bring out a product 'cause I'm pretty sure that it's 2 years and $15Million over (at the least) for a product supposedly based on widely available and easily implemented technology.

Maybe that, combined with the CEO's oh-so whiter-than-white track record have made Infinuim Labs a less than convincing business.

regards, Paul

mummey
05-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Some people have this thing against infinium labs and bachus. Personally, I want it to succeed, as I think its a great idea!

Nintendo should sell licenses of their characters and stories if they want to make movies and focus on gaming... I think opening an animated films department might stretch them too much.

tevih: read up on Timothy Roberts. There have been events in his past where it could be perceived that he would run the venture into the ground, declare bankruptsy, and then keep the property from the venture for himself.

halo
05-24-2005, 06:08 PM
i'm still not convinced that this company isn't just a con job, actually criminally defrauding investors with an idea that they fully know will never ever happen

anyone giving this company any support or time whatsoever qualifies themselves for "i am an idiot" badge in my book.

slaughters
05-24-2005, 07:17 PM
i'm still not convinced that this company isn't just a con job, actually criminally defrauding investors with an idea that they fully know will never ever happen...Expecially when it says this about the Broadband company he founded (BIG) and was the CEO of in 2000:

"Broadband executives lived the high life, sponsoring race cars in the Indy 500 and other races, hosting Hollywood parties, buying an interest in an airplane and making thousands of dollars worth of improvements to a $35 million headquarters. But last November (2000), the tech venture went bust. By then it had burned through more than $15 million of investors' money, including some from several St. Louis Cardinals owners. Roberts could not be reached for comment."

SimonGibson
05-24-2005, 08:30 PM
I think the phantom is victim of the same type of thinking as what happened to the Tucker Car company. A great idea comes along and people get scared so they want to crush it.

People in high places wanted it to fail from the start, and that trickles down to the media jumping on the bandwagon and giving it more bad press so it wil fail and in the process give the media something to report on. And what that leads to is mindless people believing all the shit the media put out.

I believe its going to fail. I don't want it to fail but theres too many people out there who haven't got a clue who are prepared to judge based on "facts" about the company they've heard.

GCL
05-26-2005, 10:27 PM
One thing for sure that made it to the marketplace is " THE PHANTOM "

Otherwise it's vaporhardware.

Wizdoc
06-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Being able to download and play games released for ANY OF THEIR PREVIOUS CONSOLES sounds pretty revolutionary to me.

Maybe Nintendo won't outsell Sony or MS, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon.

It would be great if that would cover every game released on every previous Nintendo platform. But the deal only covers games published by Nintendo, there's no guarantee you'll ever be able to download games made by Square or Capcom, for instance.

LordShaitan
06-06-2005, 03:58 AM
I was suppose to be one of the beta testers and i was full on for it. It was a great idea at the time, unfortunatly they didnt make alot of great buisness decisions. They were a rough start up and it looks as though it wont happen, mainly because the machine that was suppose to be put out was was at the time of releasing a little behind the game in specs and might be still if it was released.

Their main problem was the "rights" people would feel for the game, mainly what happens after i buy a game and its only on my system, and poof the system dies. Or say it was deleted, you still have the game, but you would have to re-download it.

They cleared house and tried to do it for a second comming, but i dont think it will go through, sad really.

tevih
06-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Actually, they're supposed to be demonstrating the phantom on G4 TV today - anybody gonna watch it?

c-g
06-26-2005, 03:43 PM

Someone emailed me a link to this thread--

Tevih, maybe people have this thing againts Infinium as much as you have it FOR them. Search for infinium posts by you and you sound like you may be one of Infinium's employees. You have posted press releases and announcements. This was the exact marketing the Tim Roberts (Crook Escaping Officials) did for the past few years. Do you normally want theives, liars and crooks to succeed?

Since you have high hopes for them and think it will be a hit let me drop this one you.

Yahoo finance stock price listing (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=iflb.ob)

As of this posting their stock is worth a little over 10 cents a share. Add that to all the money they have burned through and didn't even show up for this years E3. I guess the palatial booth with the race care was too expensive last year. Hell, someone posted that they couldn't even pay a printer for some fliers they made last year.

How about that spam fax (http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7802) they got caught with last January?

Let's look at the 1 year chart:
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/i/iflb.ob

See that spike at the beginning of the chart? That is when they were sending out that spam fax trying to mislead anyone that might get the spam and buy their stock. It looks like it worked. Now, see that sudden drop? That is when people found out it was a hoax to get people to buy the stock.

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2005, 03:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.