PDA

View Full Version : AP: Product placement becomes more prevalent in VIDEO GAMES

RobertoOrtiz
05-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Quote:

"As a member of the Elite Operations Division in the video game "True Crime: Streets of LA," the character Nick Kang must find his way to a truck heist at the flagship Puma sportswear store. Lucky for him, he has a Motorola handset with built-in global positioning system technology. "

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050522/ap_on_hi_te/ads_in_games)

-R

white dragon
05-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Well if he finds some missions to tough I'm sure he could always call for back up from Sam "Airways chewing gum" Fisher....

Hazdaz
05-22-2005, 01:20 PM
I think this next-generation of consoles might push the industry into a bad direction. First there is the higher-prices of games and consoles. And then there is also going to be lots more ads and product placement within the games themselves.

It is one think to be charging an extra $5 or so for new games, but it's another thing to be charging more money AND putting in product placement ads throughout the game too. If anything these ads should be making games cheaper in price - cuz the developers are getting money to put these ads into the game.

If stuff like this continues, the industry will start reaking of over-consumerism all brought about cuz these game companies are getting too 'corporate'. That is going to turn ALOT of gamers off - me included.

rendermania
05-22-2005, 02:43 PM
If stuff like this continues, the industry will start reaking of over-consumerism all brought about cuz these game companies are getting too 'corporate'. That is going to turn ALOT of gamers off - me included.

That's a good thing. It will leave the gaming market wide open to smaller, more dedicated gameshops that can still create innovative titles rather than boring franchise sequel x. :)

Hazdaz
05-22-2005, 05:28 PM
That's a good thing. It will leave the gaming market wide open to smaller, more dedicated gameshops that can still create innovative titles rather than boring franchise sequel x. :)

Not really. I mean sure, there will always be room for smaller shops (and that is a good thing), but over-consumerism and these game companies that are becoming too corporate is a very bad thing. just look at an industry that is already in that position - the movie industry. Most of the movies made by Hollywood are formulaic and totaly uncreative - cuz they know that a few genres make money, so they milk the concept to death. If you think the 10,343,847,342 WW2 first-person shooters/multi player games already on the market are too many - wait a few years when the diversity/creativity within the gaming community gets pushed out due to tighter corporate financing.

rendermania
05-22-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't think that will happen, to be honest. There will come a point where market fatigue will make even the largest publishers invest in more original game ideas again. You can't run with 'safe' sequels in the game business forever. There will come a point where they simply don't sell very well anymore.

Ranc0r
05-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I dont know,does product placement in games REALLY bother anyone?

In movies it cheeses me JUST a bit because its so uneeded. ( I robot in perticular)
On that same hand,in a game it adds to the realism to me.

Take 2 different games.

One being The Getaway.
They used real names and real models of cars. BMW Jaguar and i think lexus.
It was very cool and added more to that feel of that your in a real place.

Two being GTA vice city with its Foldsmobiles and Chevrolas.(Cant remember the actual knock off names)
Just didnt feel the same at all.

Matrix online has product placement on there billboards in the city.Before constantine came out there was a billboard for it.
I thought it was pretty neat. I think its ok as long as its not crammed down my throat. IE My character is forced to eat Mcdonalds big macs to gain health,and the only way to gain buffed clothing is to wear shiny new air jordans/nikes...........

PhilOsirus
05-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Unrealistic/large amounts of product placement will NOT work. They tried to infest video games with pop stars and the likes and none of it worked. We want to play a game that makes you think you're a soldier fighting terrorists or aliens, there is no place for Pepsi and McDonald's in such games without causing the player to feel disconnected with the game. We are supposed to be immersed with the game, any publicity that doesn't add to the realism removes the feeling of immersion. In the end companies that keep players immersed in their games will see their games reach bigger sales than the others. Why are there so many FPS games out there? Because they sell. What sells is what gamers want, what they don't want doesn't sell. You can't create demand in the gaming world, you can only meet the demand.

BTW look at EA, everyone kept saying they were very commercial, but their sales are going down as the "new" gamers they attracted with their commercial series are becoming more and more like "real" gamers. The more games they play the more they want what us long time gamers want in a game. No one can change the demands of gamers:)

Ranc0r
05-23-2005, 07:08 PM
"They tried to infest video games with pop stars and the likes and none of it worked."
the likes = hollywood actors in games not based off of movies

so true.

i hated true crime for puting in some bull**** stars just for the sake of having them.
christopher walken as a fat dimwit balding cop?
NO THANKS.

-Vormav-
05-23-2005, 09:45 PM
just look at an industry that is already in that position - the movie industry. Most of the movies made by Hollywood are formulaic and totaly uncreative - cuz they know that a few genres make money, so they milk the concept to death.
Personally, I'd say that the game industry is already worse than Hollywood in that aspect. And with the ever increasing costs of development, I only see this becoming worse... *sigh*

DirtEater
05-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Personally, I'd say that the game industry is already worse than Hollywood in that aspect. And with the ever increasing costs of development, I only see this becoming worse... *sigh*

Movies basically started as art, but games started as an industry. It's too bad, but things can get better, there's just a long way to go.

Hazdaz
05-24-2005, 01:12 AM
Movies basically started as art, but games started as an industry. It's too bad, but things can get better, there's just a long way to go.

Games didn't start as an "industry" - they started with a bunch of computer geeks having fun and trying to show off their computer skills. If anything, I think it only became a "real" industry recently.... like say, in the last 10 years or so. Before then there really wasn't that much money in it.... now it makes more money than movies do. :eek:

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 01:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.